Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #392 of 830
Here is the very latest test from the famous German tester Fidelio!

https://musicalhead.de/2020/07/05/test-dan-clark-aeon-2-closed/

My conclusion

The DC AEON 2 CLOSED preserves all the virtues of the California earphones, such as first-class tonal balance and an absolutely long-lasting reproduction, and also does not afford any mistakes in all sound-relevant areas.

Only the slightly limited spatial extension, especially in width, could be a problem for the smallest headphones by Dan Clark. But without a doubt, the AEON 2 CLOSED shares this shortcoming with most of the other test persons from the closed fraction.

The same applies to the minimal loss of transparency, which is also due to the airtight working principle. The DC counteracts this with the masterly tuning regarding complete freedom of resonance and moreover demonstrates musical unity at all times.

In comparison to its predecessor, the new AEON 2 CLOSED is also more energetic with adequate power input, thus preferring a more dynamic playing style. The fact that the increased performance is not reflected in monetary terms is, in my opinion, highly creditable to the San Diego-based manufacturer.

Furthermore, the DC AEON 2 CLOSED is the only closed headphone that I would personally buy if I had to. And especially in the price range up to 1.000,- Euro, the headphones are currently unrivaled in my opinion. Thus the new masterpiece by Dan Clark receives my recommendation - to all knights of the Grail of fine tones.

You can translate it with DeepL:

https://www.deepl.com/translator

Jul 20, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #393 of 830
Pic or it didn't happen... so... ( @Billheiser :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)
a2c.jpg

Straight out of the box, these do sound like a reinterpretation of the original Aeon Flow Closed. Gone is the very present sensation of that first row dynamic experience the original Aeons had. For which I like the originals quite a lot, especially for music that has already a lot of inherited separation and dynamic feel to it.

These are freshly baked, June 25th 2020, straight out of the oven basically. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Big shout out to www.earsunlimited.com for accommodating my, spoiled European consumer ass, demands. :wink:

Kudos to Dan Clark Audio for living up to the hype and delivering, once again, a fresh and exciting new headphone offering.

Peace

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #394 of 830
These Headphones - they are the greatest, actually. The sound is - never been seen in the Country before, or the world. They are - excuse me, sit down - they are actually the GREATEST. They are mostly black, I’m told, but that’s ok. I love the blacks. They have a redness - actually sort of burgendie, or covfefe, very tough. The likes of these have never been seen before. No one had ever heard of them, BUT WE FELL IN LOVE! I get along very well with these, not like you know who. And folks, these are made in the USA! I brought the Factory back from Mexico, very very strongly. Thank you. Thank you.
IMG_0016.jpeg

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #395 of 830
What? DCA made Aeons great again? I really like the original, because of their unique, but I guess a little controversial, forward presentation. These Aeon 2 Closed tho, I don't know where to begin, still trying to get my head around how these sound so different to the originals. I guess one could say these are an improvement in every way, even comfort? Fake news?

The main feature I'm hearing atm is with the sub bass and bass that upholster the soundstage with this black canvas from which everything else just pops out into light. Presentation wise, it's been pushed back vs the originals, with really vivid soundstage portrayal and immediate spatial clues. It's not even the size of it that is most impressive, it's more how really immediate and vivid the perception of positioning within the well define 3D stage is. Did I mention spatial clues? Those are like 'WHAAAAT?!?!?!'

Comfort wise, headband seems taller (more arched at top), and leather strap is softer. Pads seem also improved in build vs the older ones I have. With the foam inside more consistently filling the pad into shape. Perhaps a little stiffer.

Criticisms? Well, these may be a little too 'wet', or 'fun' sounding, if one is looking for a more textured mid centric presentation. Some instruments can sound a little bit distant.

Bottom line of these first impressions is... the Aeon is dead, long live the Aeon 2. I guess. If one didn't like the original Aeons, now with the Aeon 2, you are in for something completely different.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #396 of 830
What? DCA made Aeons great again? I really like the original, because of their unique, but I guess a little controversial, forward presentation. These Aeon 2 Closed tho, I don't know where to begin, still trying to get my head around how these sound so different to the originals. I guess one could say these are an improvement in every way, even comfort? Fake news?

The main feature I'm hearing atm is with the sub bass and bass that upholster the soundstage with this black canvas from which everything else just pops out into light. Presentation wise, it's been pushed back vs the originals, with really vivid soundstage portrayal and immediate spatial clues. It's not even the size of it that is most impressive, it's more how really immediate and vivid the perception of positioning within the well define 3D stage is. Did I mention spatial clues? Those are like 'WHAAAAT?!?!?!'

Comfort wise, headband seems taller (more arched at top), and leather strap is softer. Pads seem also improved in build vs the older ones I have. With the foam inside more consistently filling the pad into shape. Perhaps a little stiffer.

Criticisms? Well, these may be a little too 'wet', or 'fun' sounding, if one is looking for a more textured mid centric presentation. Some instruments can sound a little bit distant.

Bottom line of these first impressions is... the Aeon is dead, long live the Aeon 2. I guess. If one didn't like the original Aeons, now with the Aeon 2, you are in for something completely different.

We did do a retune of the AEON Flows, the AEON Flow RT, which I think most people view as a nice step up, but the AEON 2 uses a totally new and different motor design using the ETHER 2 tech, it literally only has 2 driver parts in common with the original.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #397 of 830
We did do a retune of the AEON Flows, the AEON Flow RT, which I think most people view as a nice step up, but the AEON 2 uses a totally new and different motor design using the ETHER 2 tech, it literally only has 2 driver parts in common with the original.

Just received my A2C today, these are my first mid/hi-fi headphones - and I love them so far! The soundstage is really something.

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #398 of 830
Thinking seriously sell my MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open to reinvest on Aeon 2 Closed. Could any of you that would have tested both tell me the main loses I would get?

I love my EFO but family complains about the sound linkage. I pair them with HiBy R5 DAP and with Chord Mojo, listening classic and progressive rock, and jazz guitar

Do you think it's worth?
Thanks for your help.

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #399 of 830
Thinking seriously sell my MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open to reinvest on Aeon 2 Closed. Could any of you that would have tested both tell me the main loses I would get?

I love my EFO but family complains about the sound linkage. I pair them with HiBy R5 DAP and with Chord Mojo, listening classic and progressive rock, and jazz guitar

Do you think it's worth?
Thanks for your help.

I have the exact same question: how will the A2C fare with the Chord Mojo? The original Aeon Flow was said to pair very well indeed with the Mojo. Is this also the case for the new version?

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #400 of 830
I have the exact same question: how will the A2C fare with the Chord Mojo? The original Aeon Flow was said to pair very well indeed with the Mojo. Is this also the case for the new version?

I pretty much do all my portable listening with Mojo/Poly and A2C and it is a fantastic combo...couldn’t ask for anything better (except when I’m stationary and listening to TT2 with HEDDphone).

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #401 of 830

Do you think it's worth?
Thanks for your help.

And the A2C don’t leak at all, since I can be right next to my wife with no bother.

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #403 of 830
Thinking about getting a Mayflower Arc 2 for gaming with these.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a portable amp for these? I have a dragonfly but these seem to drawl too much power and crash it. I’m thinking maybe Chord Mojo but was wondering if there is anything a bit smaller I maybe haven’t found yet.

EDIT: The more I read about it I might be better off just getting a DAP. I just don’t want to be walking around with a bunch of interconnects. If I can just plug it into the DAP and go I’ll be happy.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #404 of 830
Here is a brand new test of the AEON2c from Germany! Very well written and hits it very well. Can I sign almost everything like this:

https://www.fairaudio.de/test/dan-c...d-geschlossener-magnetostatischer-kopfhoerer/

You can translate with DeepL: https://www.deepl.com/translator

With his first headphones under his own (company) name, Dan Clark Audio is not just sending the next mobile magnetostat, which is somehow cultivated on "audiophile", to the starting line. No, the Aeon 2 Closed is unmistakably a pleasure instrument tempered with very concrete ideas for listeners with equally concrete ideas of euphony, which in this constellation of less than 1,000 Euros have so far only been served by very few headphones.

The Aeon 2 is one of the few listeners tuned for enjoyment, and despite its warm and cosy nature, it offers a solid bass range and doesn't close on top, but offers a shimmering overtone spectrum. The Aeon 2 Closed is only out of the ordinary for lovers of larger-than-life stage panoramas or studio hardliners who only have ears for dead straight frequency response.

In combination with its well-dosed extravagant look, the low power consumption and its fancy folding mechanism, the Aeon 2 Closed is not only suitable as an unobtrusive companion on the road. The ability to grow with more advanced electronics to an undreamt-of degree should also provide Dan Clark's "hearing chestnut" with one or the other regular place at writing or living room tables.

The Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed ...
  • with its upper-bass phase and a quite distinct depression in the presence range, does not follow the pure teaching in terms of frequency, but keeps its distance from the predicate "sounded".
  • acts rather flaky relaxed in the bass than military exact. Draft, texture and punch are nevertheless exemplary.
  • offers emphatically sonorous, smoothly flowing mids with intense timbres, but not designed for maximum transparency.
  • combines subtle detail work with hardness free decency in the tonal upper register, which otherwise only significantly more expensive listeners can achieve.
  • also resolves the bass and fundamental tone in an exemplary manner; only the mids remain somewhat coarsely rastered.
  • offers credible dynamics in the coarse as well as in the fine range despite a relaxed pace.
  • draws a comparatively intimate stage; phantom sound sources are nevertheless sharply contoured and vivid.
  • offers, in view of its ore-comfortable fit, the clever folding technique and the manageable hunger for power, some advantages even beyond the sound.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Aug 15, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #405 of 830
I've just taken receipt of my AEON 2 Closed today.

I'll provide more detailed impressions in the near future; however, to summarize my thoughts in a succinct manner, I'd say that they are one of the finest closed-back headphones, especially in its (sub-1,000) price bracket. It's fun and engaging, with ample boost in the lows to afford a sense of energy and thump to drive my favorite dance music tracks.

@mrspeakers Very well done, Dan. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back