Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Mar 19, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #751 of 830
I just bought a used pair of DCA Aeon 2 Closed to replace my Focal Elegia, which have wonky tuning and sound good only with types of music (strings, acoustic, piano, classical) that I don't listen to very often. Couldn't be happier so far.

The Aeon 2 Closed have MUCH better tuning than the Elegia for rock, alt-country, funk and the other types of music I enjoy. Not nearly as aggressive in the mids or treble, and I'm willing to sacrifice some of the detail to avoid the wonky tuning and occasional stabs of an ice pick from harsh mids or treble.

Very power-hungry, though. Wouldn't think of running these straight from a phone. They need an amp, preferrably of at least 1 watt at 32 ohm.

Still, very delighted with these running off a JDS Atom+ stack.

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #752 of 830
I just bought a used pair of DCA Aeon 2 Closed to replace my Focal Elegia, which have wonky tuning and sound good only with types of music (strings, acoustic, piano, classical) that I don't listen to very often. Couldn't be happier so far.

The Aeon 2 Closed have MUCH better tuning than the Elegia for rock, alt-country, funk and the other types of music I enjoy. Not nearly as aggressive in the mids or treble, and I'm willing to sacrifice some of the detail to avoid the wonky tuning and occasional stabs of an ice pick from harsh mids or treble.

Very power-hungry, though. Wouldn't think of running these straight from a phone. They need an amp, preferrably of at least 1 watt at 32 ohm.

Still, very delighted with these running off a JDS Atom+ stack.
Yup, I also just bought a used pair of A2C after enjoying the Aeon Closed X (I found a used A2C that was only about $120 more than I had paid for the X). Really happy with them off both the JDS Stack and the Qudelix 5K (although I’d like to get a balanced 2.5mm cable for that)

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #753 of 830
Yup, I also just bought a used pair of A2C after enjoying the Aeon Closed X (I found a used A2C that was only about $120 more than I had paid for the X). Really happy with them off both the JDS Stack and the Qudelix 5K (although I’d like to get a balanced 2.5mm cable for that)
Maybe it's because I came to the A2C Closed from the Focal Elegia, but every time I listen to the wonderful A2C, I think, "Where's this excessive or hot treble that needs to be tuned with the included pads?"

I'm glad the pads are available, but the stock tuning is working beautifully for me. Again, I think I got so accustomed to the Elegia's aggressive mids and treble and wonky tuning that the A2C is SO much less fatiguing. Not quite as detailed as the Elegia, but I'll take that trade seven days per week.

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #754 of 830
Correct—the pads which came with the Noire and gave them the Harman tuning really isn’t for me.
Exact opposite for me: I have the A2C with the perforated Noire pads! Love this combo.

Different strokes for different folks. Just glad DCA provides options through pads and filters for everyone to find their favorite signature with these great cans.

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #755 of 830
After a few exclusive nights with the Aeon 2 Noir and my FiiO M11Pro and Chord Hugo 2, I absolutely love them! Definitely the best closed-back headphone under $1,000 that I've come across thus far. I prefer them to many more expensive TOTL closed back headphones costing substantially more FWIW. This is one fun review and really puts a smile on my face!
I just received my AEON Noires after considering them for months.
A couple of weeks ago I finally had the chance to listen to them in the coolest headphone store in the world (I suppose), the "headphone boutique" in Vienna. https://kopfhoererboutique.com/
Squeezed in between many sources and dozens of headphones, playing with Focal Utopia, HFM Susvara, Meze Liric, DCA Stealth, I tested the AEONs with my Chord Hugo2GO and was impressed by the separation, agreeable frequency response and good detail. The total package on offer convinced me. A very different sound compared to my Focal Clears, portability, light weight and isolation. I intend to use them at home for a different flavor, in the office and for travels.

Now tested them with the Mojo2Poly and the Hugo2Go and I prefer the Hugo 2 by quite a margin with these! It injects more clarity, definition and energy.
I'll have to spend a lot more time with the AEONs to form a comprehensive opinion, but I already see myself travelling with the Hugo2Go :wink:

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #756 of 830
Hi, everyone.
I haven't had my Aeon 2 Closed for long (a couple of weeks only), so I'm still discovering them.
I have been trying them single ended and balanced, using a Jotunheim 2.
I thought the macrodynamics of the A2C improved considerably. Of course, that could be the result of the different performance of the two outputs, although I never considered the SE of the Jotunheim 2 behind the balanced, at all.
Has anyone noticed this too?
Anyway, if it was already discussed, I apologize. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #757 of 830
Hi, everyone.
I haven't had my Aeon 2 Closed for long (a couple of weeks only), so I'm still discovering them.
I have been trying them single ended and balanced, using a Jotunheim 2.
I thought the macrodynamics of the A2C improved considerably. Of course, that could be the result of the different performance of the two outputs, although I never considered the SE of the Jotunheim 2 behind the balanced, at all.
Has anyone noticed this too?
Anyway, if it was already discussed, I apologize. I did a search and didn't find anything.
I think it mostly comes down to power - I don't have the J2, but other hardware that can provide a lot of power, and the A2C sounds better balanced with that extra current. However, my Burson Playmate is only single ended, but the A2C still sounds great it due to the power.

Sep 1, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #758 of 830
I think it mostly comes down to power - I don't have the J2, but other hardware that can provide a lot of power, and the A2C sounds better balanced with that extra current. However, my Burson Playmate is only single ended, but the A2C still sounds great it due to the power.
Just get any new Violectric for an Aeon people and thank me later.

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #759 of 830
I guess it has to do with power. But I haven't seen that many headphones whose capability for macrodynamics was this much improved. Maybe it's just my lack of experience with balanced headphones in general.
I don't mean just sound good or great, just that specific aspect.

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #761 of 830
Mine sound good (not great) on my Quidelex 5K out of the balanced output. I got a beautiful and well made balanced cable from Hart Audio, so I can switch terminations to match what I'm plugging it into. So while I'm sure it sounds great out of a Violectric, you don't have to necessarily spend a ton. But they do scale amazingly.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #762 of 830
Mine sound good (not great) on my Quidelex 5K out of the balanced output. I got a beautiful and well made balanced cable from Hart Audio, so I can switch terminations to match what I'm plugging it into. So while I'm sure it sounds great out of a Violectric, you don't have to necessarily spend a ton. But they do scale amazingly
I’ve got the exact same setup (Qudelix and hart balanced cable) and I’m completely happy with their sound

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #763 of 830
Mine sound good (not great) on my Quidelex 5K out of the balanced output. I got a beautiful and well made balanced cable from Hart Audio, so I can switch terminations to match what I'm plugging it into. So while I'm sure it sounds great out of a Violectric, you don't have to necessarily spend a ton. But they do scale amazingly.

I’ve got the exact same setup (Qudelix and hart balanced cable) and I’m completely happy with their sound
Same here. I also have a Hart Audio cable for my Aeon 2 Noire and a Qudelix 5K (bluetooth, LDAC), although most of the time I use them single-ended from my RME ADI-2 DAC+Node 2i (desktop setup) or Grace m900 + phone (bedside). All three work great and the flexibility of the Hart Audio cable system is fantastic. Prefer the RME as it has plenty of headroom (usually -55 to -50 volume for me) and PEQ. Also the Node 2i works great as a simple bitperfect source (that also feeds my desktop speakers). I haven't tried any of those high end amps and I have seen many posts/reviews about these headphones scaling well but I am perfrctly happy with my current setup. Definitely agree that you don't need to spend thousands to enjoy them.

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #764 of 830
A2C.Stack.png

:ballot_box_with_check: Aeon 2 Closed
:ballot_box_with_check: Violectic V226
:ballot_box_with_check: Hart Audio Cable

... but the A2C sounds great on many amps that are not overly expensive (e.g. iFi Zen Can):)

Sep 2, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #765 of 830
Good advice, which to me basically reads like this: get an incredibly expensive amp, it will sound awesome.
In general, that's the case. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
What did you think? That your "incredibly expensive" headphones will sound great out of mediocre amps and DAC's? :wink:
And by the way, Violectrics new amps start at 1200€ with the V222, not cheap but good enough for "early endgame" imho.
In my experience Violectrics are great allrounders, almost everything I plugged in sounded at least good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back