Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Feb 6, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #243 of 830
@mrspeakers

Any word on how the new perforated pads sound with Aeon 2 Closed? The website states that the perforated ones are for Aeon opens only.......will thhose pads even fit on a Aeon 2 Closed?

Any info would be helpful.

Feb 6, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #244 of 830
@mrspeakers

Any word on how the new perforated pads sound with Aeon 2 Closed? The website states that the perforated ones are for Aeon opens only.......will thhose pads even fit on a Aeon 2 Closed?

Any info would be helpful.

Yes they fit. I think the closed is generally better suited to the stock pads, the perforated pads make for a slightly leaner tonality. However, should you buy the headphone and WANT a thinner tone, and naturally some will, it's a viable and not very expensive test.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #245 of 830
I completely agree with you on this. The A2C's are fairly bright but anything paired with the Hugo is unbearable to me. I went through the Mr speakers headphones line on the Hugo and couldn't stand it.

I ended up buying the A2Cs because I had listened to them on the mojo when I was trying them out and really liked them. I got home and found they were too bright on my thx 789.

I'm going to try the tuning pads before I pair then with a tube amp and see how that works out for me.
I have a Hugo 2 and adore it, however, I find you have to adjust the settings to get best results. The filter settings make an audible difference, and I usually gravitate toward the softer filters. Also, the crossfeed is excellent, and really sweetens the tone. I like the first or middle setting. If memory serves, when I spoke with Rob Watts about this I'm pretty sure his go-to was actually the max crossfeed. The crossfeed definitely warms the Hugo up, and makes for a great pairing.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #246 of 830
I bought my Aeon 2 Closed the 2nd week it came out and they are by far my favorite closed back headphone. Been using it extensively for music, gaming and just about everything and man, these are clean, detailed headphones. I m not a basshead. nor do i like a lot of boomy bass, hence my curiosity about the perforated pads. With that being said, I actually ordered a pair of perforated pads yesterday. Will try and post my impressions as soon as they get here.

Thank you for the clarification boss !!!!

Best

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #247 of 830
Will have a second audition today, will be a shootout of the A2C and the Ultrasone edition 5 (UE5). Both very different headphones, impressed by both. The UE5 is extremely transparent and live sounding (electrostatic like), it’s the old closed top model from Ultrasone. Will be listening on a Hiby R6. Already compared the A2C with the Focal Elegia. Preferred the A2C due to it’s more quiet and deeper sound. Compared the Focal Clear with the UE5, the UE5 smashed the Clear in terms of transparency, dynamics and sounded dull and veiled in comparison. I’m expecting the A2C to sound a bit dull in comparison to the UE5. But what it does it does so musically. The placement of the soundstage is deep, which is really attractive as well. One big plus for the UE5 is the ULE technology (Ultra low emission), possibly avoiding headaches. The UE5 does have a bit sharpness in the treble due to its titanium driver.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #248 of 830
Shootout Ultrasone Edition 5 vs A2C: listenend extensively today to both. At beforehand I rated the chance of keeping the UE5 at 70%. In essence this shouldn’t be a fair dual, given the fact that the UE5 is almost twice as expensive as the AC2. At first instance I didn’t change opinion: the transparency and general impact of the UE5 convinced me. Then I started listening to other genres. My first impression was that the A2C sounded so...quiet. In short: totally fell for it’s undeniably musical character. It may have less macrodynamics than for example the Audeze LCD 2, and less of a live and direct feeling than the UE5, but the music just flows better, a more coherent picture which is the hardest part to achieve in a headphone. It’s less of an ‘effect’ headphone than the UE5. I think I’ll simply listen longer on the A2C.

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #251 of 830
Just literally order A2C from Amazon. Hope it's sing along well with Mojo
The pair is really nice together. Really been enjoying the combo while studying at the library.

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #253 of 830
I think you will be pleased! If you are truly going to use it portably, you may also want to order a shorter cable.
What cable would you suggest? I use the stock cable which I find practical because of its length since I tend to store my DAP in my office case. No direct EMF exposure there (at least 20cm according to the instructions), compensating for the cans and typing this on my smartphone LOL.

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #254 of 830
How does this can sound in tone and sound signature?
Natural, uncolored, balanced, really controlled bass. Musical, not analytical. Detailed treble. Good soundstage. Blackest background I’ve heard in a headphone. Might sound a bit dull first, this is indeed is a effect less headphone. Or in the words of Dan Clark Audio: visceral bass, transparent mids, and detail up top without strong peaks, all delivered in a deep and immersive soundstage that puts the music further “out of your head” to create a deeply satisfying experience.

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #255 of 830
How does this can sound in tone and sound signature?

Very bad. There is a big hole in the mids and a nasty peak.

Now luckly there are tuning pads to try balance out this very uneven headphone. Still swapping tuning pads to find the correct one.

So far I like the black ones the most. Tomorrow I will try an other one with the white filter and see how that works out.

I have to return these on Sunday so we shall see how it goes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back