AEDLE VK-1 Limited Edition Headphones
Dec 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #61 of 183
EDIT: I yoloed and pulled the trigger on these. Lets hope my gamble pays off :D

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #62 of 183
And, did you get it?
Mine arrived two days after my order.

And don't forget to tell us your opinion about this little gem :)

Jochen

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #63 of 183
Impressions are here.

I have sent them back for repairs though, left driver had bass vibrations and the right driver would cut out when I shifted the jack into the headphones sideways.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #64 of 183
Impressions are here.

I have sent them back for repairs though, left driver had bass vibrations and the right driver would cut out when I shifted the jack into the headphones sideways.

Trippy, that was the exact same experience I had when I tested them in my local headphone shop. But in my case, the right driver would cut out if I tilted the earcups front-to-back. My head shape causes the cups to open to the back more and not be in parallel to each other so I had the left driver cutoff as soon as I put it on. I could still listen to the music with both drivers but I had to hold onto the earcups and made them parallel to each other but I don't think that is a fair enough way to judge its sound when I cannot maintain a proper seal. The build was really nice though, quite elegant looking.

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #65 of 183
When I say cut out, I mean music would literally stop playing, due to a contact problem I think. I love these cans' sound signature so much that I don't mind waiting one+ weeks for repairs though.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #67 of 183
Bad thing is I miss them :frowning2:

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #68 of 183
I am by no means an audiophile, but I really enjoyed the sound of these headphones. I found that all of my music came through very clear, and the base was heavy but not overpowering.  I also LOVE the super clean, simple, and beautiful look.  I would highly recommend for anyone with a good ear for music... but maybe not an audiophile who could likely point out all the flaws at the high price point.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #69 of 183
I'm usually someone who diss cans with a "relaxed" sound signature as this is usually synonym of dark sound, slow bass and a lack in details.

But having spent a few nights with the VK1 on the road I'd say this is a very special pair indeed, with a relaxed sound sig perfectly suitable for after work chillout BUT at the same time boasts plenty of details, warm and airy mids, and unobtrusive shimmer up high. Bass is a bit slow but not too thick or overpowering - it may sound a bit too much for library use but is wonderful for use outside or in cafes etc. Comfort is not top notch but is not bad either - main issue being pressure up top but still that's within acceptable. Although it's not foldable, its form factor together with the sleek pouch makes it a slim and highly portable package.

Despite what's said about the stitching, I found my pair to be quite perfect aesthetically and craftmanship-wise.

Thing is, you may get technically better cans at this price point, but none provides such a complete package - for me SIZE is a big matter and similarly sized cans never impressed me so much in sound, and this SIZE appears to me the perfect size for portable use. And I'm happy to report that this is of a REALLY rare breed (almost in extinction bar the beats [yacks]) that sits perfectly comfy and unobtrusive on the neck (and stylishly too) - it may not matter to all but it most definitely matters a lot to me.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #70 of 183
Tyll has just published measurements for the VK-1:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AedleVK1.pdf

His short comments in the february update mirror my own experiences...
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-february-2014-update

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #71 of 183
After spending more time with the VK1 I think I can summarily conclude that this is my favorite on-ear headphones by a pretty large margin.

It may involve tuning my (and your) ears to the tonality of the VK1 a bit, and it may involve a healthy burn-in process, but after some quality listening what I hear is: a punchy, deep, linear bass that extends low BUT is not boomy or distracting at all, a natural-sounding and detailed mid-range which stands out from the other frequencies a bit, and a treble that is relaxed (recessed if you prefer that word) in the sense that it doesn't sound excited and agitated all the time, but has the necessary shimmer when your music calls for it. Soundstaging is superb - among closed cans it's only second to my AKG K545. And it has none of the honkiness that many small closed cans got (M100s and MD1Rs come into mind).

This sound profile may not be what you are looking for at home, but is definitely spot on when it's used on the go.

Comparing the VK1s to other on-ears, Senn Momentum on-ear is soundly beaten IMHO - it sounds too lean and grainy in the mids while the bass thump sound uninspiring due to over-emphasize of mid-bass. Beyerdynamics T50/51 may win on technicality but its tuning left a lot to be desired. DT1350 had once been my fav, and still is one of my fav, but VK1 is less picky on source, sounds good out of any player while the DT is the better option if you are in for some critical listening with very good source.

VK1s are excellent for jazz and vocal-centric music, and pretty much anything else, EXCEPT music that requires a quick and agile bass. Even after some burn in the bass in the VKs remain a bit slow, possibly down to the longer decay that makes it sound natural and relaxing on the one hand but less agile or vibrant on the other.

May 12, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #75 of 183
As for quality and design, the VK-1 is a total winner over the P5. Which I heard from a local dealer. and CES this year.
I ordered the black one and should arrive any day now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back