Advise on a nice upgrade over my Marshmallows?
Sep 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

voxtonic

New Head-Fier
I'd like to spend about $60 (more or less by $20) on a pair the next step up. I'm thinking about a MeElectronics M6 or M11, SoundMagic PL50, Head-Direct RE0 or ViSang R03. I'm leaning toward a MeElectronics offering, since they seem more durable than the others, but I thought I'd ask for advice before I commit.

Flimsy stock earbuds that shipped with my Nexus One wore at the plug and not wanting to go a long trip without music, I bought some Skullcandies from a gas station. I didn't know about the isolating affect and thought the design stupid and uncomfortable, but I learned to deal with it when I immediately noticed a difference in sound quality. The Skullcandies experienced the same problem as my stock headphones so I replaced them with JVC Marshmallows that are definitely more comfortable and durable. Since they have lasted for so long, depending on what I get I might keep my nicer purchase safe at home and continue to wear the Marshmallows when I go out

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 5

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus
Well what kind of sound do you want? Do  you want something balanced, bass heavy, etc?

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 5

voxtonic

New Head-Fier
Quote:
rawrster said:

Well what kind of sound do you want? Do  you want something balanced, bass heavy, etc?

I'm a total noob and in the context of headphones & hardware it mostly sounds like jargon to me. I didn't even consider that headphones would make a difference until I accidentally bought my first IEM.

Otherwise, I know my most enjoyed of the music I listen to (mostly grunge, garage & progressive rock, synthpop & triphop with some folk & folk metal) benefits from the generous use of bass; I don't know if bassy headphones on top of bassy songs is a good choice or no.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 5

sushibowl

Head-Fier
The M11+ would be a very nice upgrade.

It has that same bassy ( more bassy actually) punch of the Marshmallows, and the clarity will just be amazing, from upgrading from the Marshmallows.

If your looking for a very fun, bassy sound sig, I highly reccomend the M11+.

You can take a look at the Brainwavz series, but the lack the bass that the M11+ has and that is so enjoyable.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 5

Painful Chafe

500+ Head-Fier
M11+'s are pretty good. If you can hold off, MEElectronics often has sales on their products. The just recently had a 20% off and free shipping sale on the M11+. Sign up for their news letters and you will get notice of any sales that come up.

Here is a coupon code that gets you free shipping if you end up getting the M11+

shipping_coupon

Users who are viewing this thread