Advice requested: looking to purchase headphones up £250 (around $370)
May 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ambientrewind

New Head-Fier
 Hi guys, 

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this topic has been exhausted a hundred times over - I attempted to search for an answer but I'm left with more questions than I am answers so here's to hoping you guys can help. 

I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones no more than £250 (around $370). I'll be using them at home and on the go and I'm not really worried about them being foldable or particularly fashionable, I really am just after solid audio quality.

The main types of genre I listen to are: ambient, electro/experimental (i.e.: the likes of SYNKRO, Emancipator, Indigo, Bonobo, Phaeleh - if anyone's familiar with those artists!), minimal 140 bpm dub - with very low, punchy bass (Kryptic Minds, Youngsta, Biome etc.) and in a completely different vein some classical too (Ludovico Einaudi being the main pianist I listen to).

So the headphones really cover quite a breadth of ranges with some shrill highs, plenty of mids, and of course, because of the dub a lot of lows. I'll be listening to the music via laptop and iPhone in almost all instances. 

I've scoured the internet and managed to pick out headphones like: B+W P5s, Bose Quiet Comfort 15s, Sony DR BT50s, and Seinheisser HD600s but I really wouldn't be able to make a clear judgement on which to get. 

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance :)

May 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 6
ohhh.. Wrote you long story what and why i would suggest, but some stupid commercial came up and i was not able to switch it off. And when i did everything gone.
So this time i be simple.
That`s the list what i want to get and can afford, after i tried many headphones in head-fi meet in london a month ago.
Beyerdinamics dt990 premium 250 ohm £250
Sennheiser hd650 saw in uk for £270+-
mrspeakers mad dog if you able to get them in USA. 300$

My priority list:
1-st Comfort 
2-nd Quality
3-rd  Bass or Deep Bass.

You might find AKG Q701 nice sounding for ambient music.

If you tried WELL powered HD600, HD650 will sound similar, just 650 is a bit more comfy for me.
HD650 well powered have plenty deep bass, but very lacks punchy bass. What i cant say about beyerdinamics and mad dog.

May 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Fantastic. Will look into those. Though, it has to be said, I am growing slightly concerned about the fact that I'm checking out these headphones (reading the reviews) and there seems to be a consensus that this quality of headphone deserves an amp. Is this true, and if so, do I buy the amp as an attachment for my iPhone/laptop?

My apologies again - I'm fairly new to the whole high-end, headphone industry.

May 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 6
If you have that bad source like laptop only (don`t even mention iphone to me:)) ) Just get some DAC with built in AMP (cheaper when get both).
Or just for now try beyerdinamics dt770/880/990 PRO 32ohm (PRO is much cheaper) and they sound not too bad as well. It will be a good start with your source. 
Later on you will see what you need, if its too much noise coming from laptop - get dac, need more loudness and bass, get headphone amp.
And later get an better headphones.

May 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Ue6000..ue9000....just rip your music into apple losess...
Put them i to your ipod n lappy...
And u are good to go.

May 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Ahh sorry - didn`t saw you wrote, that you will use them on the go as well.
My suggestion was for home, because they are open back`s :)
On the go i have SoundMagic PL11 (bassy) or Soundmagic E10 (classy). Cheap and good quality in ear on the go.
I have iphone as well, so with that source i don`t even trying to get something better and more expensive.
Cant imagine myself charge phone many times a day. Well that`s JUST my option.
If i would  buy portable over ear headphone -  it would probably be the Ultrasone Pro 750 or V-MODA Crossfade LP. But i never will :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back