Advice related to AV and speakers and stuffs.
May 4, 2015 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

loinheat

New Head-Fier
My dad used to have a surround sound home theater system. After we moved to a new house he replaced the speakers with sonos garbage. He me gave the speakers and the yamaha rx v663 and told me that I could sell it or keep it. I have a mod mic and the ath ad500x. The modmic is very quiet and I am thinking about getting a DAC. Is is possible to use the AV as an amp to power the mic and headphone? Also should I mount the speakers in my room. It is medium sized and I would sit at the wall.

May 4, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Is this for PC gaming or gaming console gaming?
Because of the receiver's having a high impedance output headphone jack, the 40-Ohm AD500X should not function at their best, plugged into the Yamaha.
So if you want to use Yamaha with headphones, you might look into headphones in the 120-Ohm to 300-Ohm (and maybe 600-Ohm) range.

If this setup is for PC gaming, just get the Sound Blaster Z sound card for the PC, plug headphones into SB-Z.

May 4, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 4
I am on pc. Does the sbz amp microphone volume? How would it compare to a DAC? Is it worth selling the speaker system? Thanks

"Does the SB-Z amplifier microphone volume"?
Not sure how to answer that as the SB-Z's built in headphone amplifier and the SB-Z's line-input (mic input) are two separate features on the SB-Z card.

How does the SB-Z compare to a DAC?
The SB-Z comes with a CS4398 DAC chip, which is a fairly good DAC chip.
The $65 Hifimediy USB DAC comes with a sabre DAC chip, which I'm guessing(?) is a little better.
What speakers did the Yamaha come with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back