advice please: ipod, ie7 - do i really need an amp
Mar 7, 2010 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bik2101

1000+ Head-Fier
Need some thoughts - would a portable amp really benefit me? my source - ipod classic (latest version out) with ie7's. if there will not be enough of an improvment i can't justify an amp but if there will be a noticeable (not talking night and day - preferably, but i'm sure it wouldn't be that stark) difference, then i would be willing to spend somewhere b/w 200-300 on a portable amp. i would like to hear your honest opinions on this.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 10
Only if you think that you're not getting enough umph out of your set, or that you have to turn the volume relatively high to get the sound to a decent level.

Though a good amp would boost the quality (I've never had one, only an E5, so not too sure about that sentence).

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an amp does benefit them but na they dont really really need one

Agree 100%. I've had my share of portable amps and in the end I no longer own own, even with my PK1 that I use with my Zune and Windows lossless files, and yes, I need to up the volume when compared to my GR8, but for me and for me only, I found the extra cost and weight doesn't justify the the need.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 10
I read people say that a 500 dollars amp (iQube I think) do improve sound quality of IE8, in terms of clarity and tightens the bass, but the improvement is really subtle. So I do think that IE series is meant to be used portably.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 10
I'd reckon the IE7 (the IE8 too) don't really need an amp. The latest iPod classic has a pretty good internal SOC amp which drives dynamic (that is what the IE7 is) earphones very well.

What you get with an amp (if you won't volume match them) probably comes from: placebo, and from volume (as you may not turn the volume up high enough with the earphones alone) which affects perceived dynamics.

The ear hears certain frequencies as they get louder and they disappear as the volume goes down. It is anatomy. The iPod should get way too loud for the IE7 and since the Classic already runs great resolution to dynamic earphones, an amp likely will only get in the way.

That said, even among amps: there are ones which can and ones which cannot drive earphones.

I'd stay away. Enjoy your combo now and if you are satisfied (as you should be), no need to rend a hole in your spleen for 'better quality'. If you want more dynamics, you can opt for 'acoustic' preset (which at loud volumes will clip), which is a basic loudness curve and will accentuate treble and bass, making dynamics better.

But always be careful of your ears. with dynamic earphones and a powerful amp like that in the Classic, I've never gone over 30% volume. Please be careful.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 10
I don't have the IE7 but I use the IE8 with an ipod touch, and it performs well without any additional amplification. I have no intention of acquiring an amplifier because the beauty of an ipod and a set of earphones like the IE8's for me, is having portability without sacrificing sound quality.

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree 100%. I've had my share of portable amps and in the end I no longer own own, even with my PK1 that I use with my Zune and Windows lossless files, and yes, I need to up the volume when compared to my GR8, but for me and for me only, I found the extra cost and weight doesn't justify the the need.

Sane here, am getting ready to sell my last set.

Mar 8, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd reckon the IE7 (the IE8 too) don't really need an amp. The latest iPod classic has a pretty good internal SOC amp which drives dynamic (that is what the IE7 is) earphones very well.

What you get with an amp (if you won't volume match them) probably comes from: placebo, and from volume (as you may not turn the volume up high enough with the earphones alone) which affects perceived dynamics.

The ear hears certain frequencies as they get louder and they disappear as the volume goes down. It is anatomy. The iPod should get way too loud for the IE7 and since the Classic already runs great resolution to dynamic earphones, an amp likely will only get in the way.

That said, even among amps: there are ones which can and ones which cannot drive earphones.

I'd stay away. Enjoy your combo now and if you are satisfied (as you should be), no need to rend a hole in your spleen for 'better quality'. If you want more dynamics, you can opt for 'acoustic' preset (which at loud volumes will clip), which is a basic loudness curve and will accentuate treble and bass, making dynamics better.

But always be careful of your ears. with dynamic earphones and a powerful amp like that in the Classic, I've never gone over 30% volume. Please be careful.

Well put. I believe in my case this is so true. I have used an amp with iems for most of the last 5 years..give or take some in between, and I know to my ears which don't have the perfect clarity as some do here..the difference has always been slight if any depending on the iem. But what I like about an amp is the perception of everything being better in my mind...sounds silly..but the placebo effect as stated above makes it seem better to me I think, and I like the rotary dial of the headsix etc.. so I think I hear a slight difference and therefore keep using it. I don't think in reality for my ears that the ie8 or w3 or many others I've tried make the cost/bulk of an amp worth it for me. I have been using the w3 w/o amp for the past few days due to selling my amp for need of cash and hear no real differences..and it is so strange to just be able to put my ipod in my pocket!!! Just my 2 cents. I know there are many or most who would disagree.. but for me I'm still learning in my middle age.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 10
cool.. i forgot to note in my post that i also use pk2's. i'm assuming the same that went for the ie7 should apply to pk2's right? i guess i want to get an amp but i'm trying to get you all to convince me not to waste me money lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back