Advice on transport/Dac
Mar 12, 2006 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ruaneg

New Head-Fier
hi everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok. My head hurts. Firstly i have a sony jukebox. Im relativelly new to hi fi buy have learnt enough to know the sound quality from these are relativley bad. So i decided to get an external lite dac-ah.

When i tested my new setup i was disapointed. There does seem to be a slight improvement but it seems to raise the volume compared to the analog out from the cdp so this makes a/b testing dificult. I used my relatively cheap cyberhome dvd player with coaxial into the dac and the sound was much much better. I can only assume the problem with the jukebox is jitter. Although all ive read on jitter leaves me feeling a little overawed.

What would be the best way to improve my transports signal? a jitter reduction device? a dac with reclocking? would the zhalou with reclocking work well? or could i mod my dac-ah easily to overcome this?

Any help would be appreciated as you would be doing my mental health a great service!!!

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 9
cheers for replying
smily_headphones1.gif

id like to keep the jukebox as i only bought it 2 months ago and ive a large collection of cds so its handy..ive got a pronto remote that ive programmed to choose any album/track that works great.so ill keep the jukebox..if only as a second source.

If i cant manage to get a sound im happy with id consider getting another single cdp. I just want to try any maximise the sound from the jukebox. Planning on buying a jitter box to see if that improves things..

Ive started ripping the cds to 256variablmp3 and ive got a digital out on my laptop with a turlte audio advantage usb soundcard. Sounds alright connected to the Dac. Not overly impressive.

ive got some grado sr60 headphones..theyre decent enough but tbh i havent had much exposure to top end headphones.

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 9
How about your cables, what are you using?

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 9
well the interconnect cost a tenner from a hifi shop and they look relatievely decent. I have a monster cable coaxial connecting the dvd player and dac..at the moment i have a cheap plastic toslink between the changer and dac..

Im still a bit sceptical about the impact of cables but i orderered a glass toslink a few days ago to see if if it will make a diff..
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 9
Have you received your glass toslink cable in yet?If you have was there a difference.

I got this i am assuming a not so high quality one with my dac and just wondering if i should upgrade it or not.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 9
hi gabe,

cable arrived today!! WOW surprisingly there is a noticeable difference. Im a little flummoxed as to why. Maybe the cheap plastic cable i was using is just really poor and with the poor signal from the jukebox it made the signal even worse. OR glass toslink really makes a difference.

That said im not dismissing the fact that im mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back