advice on next buy
Apr 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ethomas

New Head-Fier
hallo i'm new to the forum, hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I know this might not interest the average audiophiles, but I'm not a real audiophile. I'm just searching for correct and right advice. 

I'm in my early 20's so it's more like a gadget with better then average soundquality that I'm looking for. Currently I have a beats by dre solo HD. Love the sound, good bass, don't like the on ear design. I recently started to wear glasses so it doesn't fit that good anymore. 

The Sennheiser momentum and the Sony MDR-1R got my interest, both have their issues I heard. The mdr-1r got a open sound what I like, the earcups aren't so deep, their might be a chance that my ear touches the bottom of the earcup what might be annoying after a while. The headband is made of plastic, I hope it's durable. Now the momentum, the ear cups are small, that's the first thing I noticed. The adjustment for the ear cups, seems might lose grip after a while and the cups start to glide down or is that just my assumption? I hear the sound is more natural, not to much bass.

I mostly listen to punk and rock, so a good bass in nice. But not to much like in the regular beats solo. 

What do you think is the best pair, or just gave your opinion on one or both of de headphones. Are my assumptions correct?

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
hallo i'm new to the forum, hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I know this might not interest the average audiophiles, but I'm not a real audiophile. I'm just searching for correct and right advice. 

I'm in my early 20's so it's more like a gadget with better then average soundquality that I'm looking for. Currently I have a beats by dre solo HD. Love the sound, good bass, don't like the on ear design. I recently started to wear glasses so it doesn't fit that good anymore. 

The Sennheiser momentum and the Sony MDR-1R got my interest, both have their issues I heard. The mdr-1r got a open sound what I like, the earcups aren't so deep, their might be a chance that my ear touches the bottom of the earcup what might be annoying after a while. The headband is made of plastic, I hope it's durable. Now the momentum, the ear cups are small, that's the first thing I noticed. The adjustment for the ear cups, seems might lose grip after a while and the cups start to glide down or is that just my assumption? I hear the sound is more natural, not to much bass.

I mostly listen to punk and rock, so a good bass in nice. But not to much like in the regular beats solo. 

What do you think is the best pair, or just gave your opinion on one or both of de headphones. Are my assumptions correct?

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

I'm assuming you're partial to the bass quantity rather than the quality on the Solos? In which case either would be a massive drop from your current reference point. Just keep that in mind. 

Anyways did not find the MDR-1R to be open- sounding at all - and the cups were fairly deep for me so YMMV. You could have possibly mistaken the sound descriptors with the MA900s instead. The mechanism on the Momentums seem to be quite resistive so I doubt they'd fall off without you actually applying force to them. 

Sound sig wise the MDR-R1s are very much mid forward with a slight tendency to have boomy mid-bass although quantity itself is suppressed. But yeah the mids really congest the presentation. The Momentums retain warmth and a nice dark background with no grain. Very smooth sounding, albeit a bit dark.

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 4
my opinion about these 2 headphones was based on review that I have read and the pictures with dimensions. I just assume based on reviews that the earcups aren't so deep and the sound very open for the 1R. That's the point about the beats by dre line of headphones, I like bass but not that much, I have tried the studio and even those yeah not my favorite, they also those earpads get kind of hot after an hour. So that's why I would prefere the momentum because they say it's made from real leather so it breaths better. 

I would to sound the music how it's made to be sounded, If I look at your opinion, I would say you would chose the momentum?

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
my opinion about these 2 headphones was based on review that I have read and the pictures with dimensions. I just assume based on reviews that the earcups aren't so deep and the sound very open for the 1R. That's the point about the beats by dre line of headphones, I like bass but not that much, I have tried the studio and even those yeah not my favorite, they also those earpads get kind of hot after an hour. So that's why I would prefere the momentum because they say it's made from real leather so it breaths better. 

I would to sound the music how it's made to be sounded, If I look at your opinion, I would say you would chose the momentum?

Definitely in terms of balance and linearity (they're not exactly linear, but a great deal better than the Sonys in this case, not to put the Sonys down or anything)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back