Advice on New Portable Player
May 17, 2021 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Vicks7

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All, I am looking for advice on a new portable DAP to upgrade my existing AK240.

I will be using it with Melody Miracle IEMs (balanced or single ended), Sen 6xx, Grado 325s and a pair of Epsilon R1 Elleven Acoustica modded phones that Fleasbaby made for me. I have a Pico Slim and Ray Samuels SR-71B amp in case amplification will help. To digress for a moment, I have been a long time forum member and back in the day had an iPod Classic that I used with a Cypher Labs Algoryhythm Solo DAC - I dusted this off the other day and connected the Solo DAC into my iPhone Xs and unbelievably it still works and produced great sound streaming Tidal.

Anyway recommendations appreciated and don't want to spend more than $1,000-1,500 and preferably less than this. Mainly listen to jazz, blues, female vocals, acoustic guitar.

Thanks

May 21, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi All, I am looking for advice on a new portable DAP to upgrade my existing AK240.

I will be using it with Melody Miracle IEMs (balanced or single ended), Sen 6xx, Grado 325s and a pair of Epsilon R1 Elleven Acoustica modded phones that Fleasbaby made for me. I have a Pico Slim and Ray Samuels SR-71B amp in case amplification will help. To digress for a moment, I have been a long time forum member and back in the day had an iPod Classic that I used with a Cypher Labs Algoryhythm Solo DAC - I dusted this off the other day and connected the Solo DAC into my iPhone Xs and unbelievably it still works and produced great sound streaming Tidal.

Anyway recommendations appreciated and don't want to spend more than $1,000-1,500 and preferably less than this. Mainly listen to jazz, blues, female vocals, acoustic guitar.

Thanks
I haven't heard it but read some super things (and want one myself when the money allows) about the iBasso DX300. But, I currently own the iBasso DX160, and I am able to drive some hard to drive headphones very well. I actually love it VERY much and wouldn't even be thinking of upgrading if it weren't the thought that there might actually be better sounding options out there. Honestly though some of the best DAPs coming out are actually in the mid-tier category. Quite a few are pushing the boundaries for options/quality to price ratio. With that said, you really can't go wrong with the iBasso, Fiio, Hiby, or Cayin. A&K is still really good, but seem considerably overpriced comparably speaking to the DAPs I just mentioned in the $300 to $500 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back