Advice on my first pair of IEM
Jun 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spiraltrance

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've just brought my first pair of IEM earlier today (Sennheiser CX300 II) and have a few questions.

1) When wearing them and walking, when the cable moves and bounces against my shirt it vibrates all the way through to earpieces which I can hear. It's similar to the effect of lying down with your ears below water level in the bath then tapping the bath and the tap sounds like a thud because it's amplified. Is this normal?

2) At the minute i'm using them with the medium sized rubber bits. I tried them with the small and large and couldn't hear any bass. Why is this?

3) When wearing & listening to them I get a bit of a disorientated and sick feeling It's like sea sickness or what you get when you sit near a subwoofer playing at very loud volumes but I don't have the phones turned up loud. I didn't get that feeling with my headphones or earphones that came with my smartphone but they aren't the sort that slot into your ear canal.

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 6
First, the sound you hear when walking around is called microphonics and is easily dealt with using a cable clip.  Find something online that is plastic that receives good reviews.

Second, many people have inner-ear issues that can cause the type of sickness you are experiencing.  It could be related to the seal ( pressure in your ear ) or the bass.  Try EQ down the bass and see if that helps, otherwise you may want to try different tips altogether.  There is a good chance that the sick feeling may not go away with these IEMs.

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 6
  Hi,

I've just brought my first pair of IEM earlier today (Sennheiser CX300 II) and have a few questions.

1) When wearing them and walking, when the cable moves and bounces against my shirt it vibrates all the way through to earpieces which I can hear. It's similar to the effect of lying down with your ears below water level in the bath then tapping the bath and the tap sounds like a thud because it's amplified. Is this normal?

2) At the minute i'm using them with the medium sized rubber bits. I tried them with the small and large and couldn't hear any bass. Why is this?

3) When wearing & listening to them I get a bit of a disorientated and sick feeling It's like sea sickness or what you get when you sit near a subwoofer playing at very loud volumes but I don't have the phones turned up loud. I didn't get that feeling with my headphones or earphones that came with my smartphone but they aren't the sort that slot into your ear canal.

Thanks.

1  its called microphonics.  sadly its very normal, denser materials tend to conduct sound better than air.  try wearing the buds wraped up and over  your ear, it will largely remove thu problem.  yes it will feel really weird at first but you get used to it.  its really a much better way to wear them.

2  no seal means no bass.  small drivers dont move a lot of air and if they only have to move the tiny amount of air between it and your ear drum they can, if they are open to the whole world the pressure difference the diver generates just escapes before it moves your eardrum.

3  turn down the bass.  youre not used to only hearing bass and not also feeling it.  people tend to compensate for this by hugely turning up the bass.  your putting so much pressure on the ear drum the acoustic vibrations are affecting your inner ear and hence you feel vomity. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies. After using them for a day or so the microphonics and the sickness doesn't bother me as much. Also the sound quality has improved drasticly. Yesterday I had thought I made a mistake buying them as the sound quality wasn't that much better than the phones that came with ym m2 smartphone. But today they are really starting to shine. I can't believe a £33 set of headphones is giving a sound quality of a several thousand pound stereo I heard in a store a while back.

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 6
  just wait 6 months and you get the yearning for something else, something better, something different and then begin to fear for your wallet.

LOL.  I've studied Buddhism a bit in the past and i've realised the very nature of mind is to never be satisfied for long with anything material.

Audiophiles are chasing a mirage in the desert in there pursuit of audio perfection. I hope I don't go that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back