Advice on IEM's that will be complementary to the RE0's
Oct 11, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #31 of 42
RE0s run fine unamped and should be easy for you to sell to another aussie headfier if you decide you want to try something else.
I went from the RE0s to the ZEROs and now they are my favourite IEMs.
Not taking anything away from the RE0s, but the ZEROs signature was more to my liking.
The RE0s were my favourite for 8 months before the ZEROs and i have always felt they are a great value IEM.

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #32 of 42
@showa60,

Now that RE0s are on the way,

• Wait till they arrive. Stop worrying about amps, dacs, alternatives etc.,
  • Stop visiting Head-fi for a few days. Try to listen as much as you can to form an opinion about them.
  • Get back to Head-fi and ........ a) If you don't like RE0, you can sell them and find something that is more suited to your tastes. b) If you like RE0 and still want a complementary IEM, you know exactly what you want in it. c) If you are in love with RE0, but want it to perform better, get an amp.

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #33 of 42
Good advice.  You have to land the fish before you either eat it or put it back and try to catch a larger one.

Quote:
@showa60,

Now that RE0s are on the way,

• Wait till they arrive. Stop worrying about amps, dacs, alternatives etc.,
  • Stop visiting Head-fi for a few days. Try to listen as much as you can to form an opinion about them.
  • Get back to Head-fi and ........ a) If you don't like RE0, you can sell them and find something that is more suited to your tastes. b) If you like RE0 and still want a complementary IEM, you know exactly what you want in it. c) If you are in love with RE0, but want it to perform better, get an amp.

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #34 of 42
Hey benny

that fish line is from a bob song , right ? Probably from the 'blood on the tracks' outtakes ?

I mean it's deep like a bob quote or sth
wink_face.gif

(just kidding mate)
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #35 of 42
Yeah man, its from 'I Got A Brand New Leopardskin Rod" on the classic album Cod On Cod

Quote:
Hey benny

that fish line is from a bob song , right ? Probably from the 'blood on the tracks' outtakes ?

I mean it's deep like a bob quote or sth
wink_face.gif

(just kidding mate)
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #36 of 42
Woahwoahwoah guys. Why would you go up the ladder of debt from the RE0s when you can blow it all at once?

Aka - Buy a JH-16, $1000 portable amp, HiFiMan 801, HD 800, $3000 amp, $2000 DAC and some $500 cables and be done with it for all eternity.

Oh and use to RE0s to complement all of these.

tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #37 of 42

Quote:
Woahwoahwoah guys. Why would you go up the ladder of debt from the RE0s when you can blow it all at once?

Aka - Buy a JH-16, $1000 portable amp, HiFiMan 801, HD 800, $3000 amp, $2000 DAC and some $500 cables and be done with it for all eternity.

Oh and use to RE0s to complement all of these.

tongue.gif

This is a great idea, but I don't think you are spending enough money. Why don't you just buy out several audio companies and force them to make audio gear for you? And while you are at it, buy out record companies and musicians and make them sing for you, sing!

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #38 of 42
I will order all the factories to create Justin Bieber JustBeats, then I will order all the recording companies to play only Justin Bieber albums. After that Justin Bieber and me can become bestest of friends and rule the world together while setting forth termination for all Bieber haters.

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #39 of 42
I own the RE0 and found that the bass improves when properly amped. It also took a good 100 hours of (mental?) burn-in for me to hear the bass coming out. It's pretty basslight straight out of the box. I think a really great IEM to compliment the RE0 is the Fischer Audio Eterna. It's warm, fun and bassy and where the RE0 lets you analyze the sound the Eterna just makes you tap your foot and nod your head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #40 of 42
Hi Negakinu, I had a look at the Eterna's, but I'm pretty limited to what I can get here. Sometimes even if I can source them overseas, the postage is quite prohibitive. I notice you have the Headstage 12HE, GAAAH! It's so slim and awesome, I wish I could justify buying it, but I just can't 
frown.gif
 Is it worth the monies?

In other news, although my RE0's were posted on Monday, all tracking says is that they've left the sorting centre in Shanghai... I hope they'll arrive on Monday or I'll go insane 
angry_face.gif
 I'm stuck using some ancient Sony cans from Dick Smiths that I've had for ages and they're lousy 
triportsad.gif

I've read just about everything online about the RE0's, and there are WAY more saying that the bass is deficient rather than adequate. I'd like to believe they'll be everything I want, but for $79 I highly doubt it esp. coming from the 'fun' sounding S4's.

So, I'm seriously considering an amp (feel like giving me your Headstage Nega?). Looking at a cmoyBB equivalent (tin looks cool!), ibasso T3 or Fiio E7. I've been spending all my spare time reading up on these.

P.S. I feel like some people are making fun of me, and I'm not sure why.  I'm only looking to spend $150-200 on headphone + amp, yet they're going on like I'm buying the whole FACTORY. And how the hell did Justin Bieber get into my thread!?!?
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #41 of 42
People here make fun out of everyone. It's all good. Justin Bieber is the antichrist. 

You bought a very good IEM. The RE0 is great but you have to give it some time. The first time I received it I was very disappointed and actually wrote a whole thread about how the RE0's were lifeless and too analytical. After about 50 hours I went from hating them to appreciating them. After another 50 hours I loved them to death. 
etysmile.gif
 It was a true example of "mental burn-in". 

The thing that made them sound wonderful was the bassboost on the Headstage Arrow. That really gave them the punch I was missing. That added bass in combination with it's beautiful treble made it the perfect balanced IEM. I strongly advise you amping it with a latest gen bass boost CMOY. I know a lot of purists here think the CMOY's are low-fi but I bet you they never heard a PROPER CMOY. This one is really good and a definite no-brainer if you want your RE0 to sound it's best. 

On the Headstage, I bought it secondhand for a lot less than it's asking price. It is very good though and drives my big cans without too much hassle. The crossfeed works really well and the bassboost is very natural. Nothing like the bass on my Fiio E5, which just muddies it all up if you ask me. There is a downside to the Headstage Arrow though. I still haven't received the final enclosure. The dude that makes these is pretty overwhelmed with all the response and popularity of this amp and can hardly keep up. If you plan on buying one new, make sure you don't mind waiting a couple of months for one. Some people have been waiting 4 months already. 

Cheer! If you need some more info, feel free to PM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 42
Hey, thanks for the support Negakinu (I keep wanting to call you Akeginu from the Basilisk anime
tongue_smile.gif
). I like the idea of a cmoyBB, there's a guy that makes them in Australia, they cost a little less than the JDS ones, but he seems trustworthy. I'm bidding on one now! I had no idea the line for Headstages was so long! Maybe in 4 months I'll have the money to buy one...

Also, my RE0's arrived today!!!1!! Yaaaay! I was so excited, and I didn't have much time to try them in my lunch break, so I jammed them in and randomly chose a song. It was 'Inner Universe' from the GitS:SAC OST (wink wink
wink_face.gif
ClieOS). What can I say... the detail is AMAZING! So this is what analytical sounds like, huh. I noticed the bass deficiency straight away, so I fired up Vespertilio from the Batman Begins OST. The massive rumbling deep bass I'm used to hearing at the start was... non-existent. I know I know, gotta burn em in, but first impressions are absolutely amazing clarity and detail... no bass (compared to the S4).

Also, little disappointed in the finish on these. The enclosures have a few little flakes of paint missing, and there seems to be excess glue around a seam on each bud. Nothing major, but it does detract from the look. Anyway, back to work. Should I start a new thread with my impression for noobs?

P.S. Bought some Pana 900's from mcnoiserdc, so I'll be able to compare the two. It'll give me time to burn in the RE0's and maybe send them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back