advice on how to move on up
Aug 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

maingarden

Head-Fier
Currently, 'm working with a ipod nano 1st gen + klipsch s4 or MS1 and really want to make an improvement.  already using high quality data files.  mostly 320 kbps mp3s.  i feel the soundstage could be bigger and the MS1 may be fatiguing with the nano (at least what i thought with a quick listen on a sansa fuze). 

what would make the most impact next?  upgrading the source or headphones? 

if voting for the source, then will I be really be significantly improving my experience going with a high-end cowon rather than a fuze? 

or would you go with a fuze plus upgrading to something like a TF10 or SE530?

music preference: mostly indie rock
Budget:  depends on how much convincing I get here!

thanks in advance. totally lost in sea of head-fi commentary.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 6
Upgrade IEMs first like Radius DDM, IE8 (both has huge soundstage) and you will notice the difference then upgrade the source like S-Flo2.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 6
My Cowon S9 vastly improved my headphone performance. The BBE effects and equalizer can tailor the frequency response and soundstage of any headphone. DISCLAIMER: If the only experience with EQing you have had is with Apple devices, you may experience severe side effects including: stoke, heart attack, or instant gratification.

If you can borrow a Cowon, I advise you to give it a listen... My friend convinced me this way... It made me never want to listen to another brand of DAP again.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 6
@ ZARIM:
off topic, but since you've heard the TF10pro, high-end shure, do you like your IE8 more?  im learning i appreciate soundstage and need less fatiguing sound....i can only take the MS1 in small doses.  love klipsch s4!

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 6
@stevenswall...
yeah, i can't stand apple presets!  the cowon name has been catching my eye and i'm lost in s9 vs j3 babble.  and it's not even clear ot me what an upgrade from sansa fuze or clip it is!  i may pick up a clip just for its portability AND snatch up a cowon. 

but that may mean sticking with the s4, which i guess i wouldn't mind if the upgrade in player makes a bigger difference.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 6
The J3 is essentially a newer S9... with a memory card slot, and built in speaker. I would get it for the memory expansion capabilities and the faster interface... I don't see why anyone would argue for an S9 over a J3, as they are very similar, with the J3 having a few obvious advantages.

Advantage over a Sansa Clip/Fuze

Sound Quality: Unmatched equalizer (Parametric aka totally customizable), powerful headphone output, up scaling of audio quality with BBE and MP enhancements, 3D surround virtualization.

Interface: Every piece is made of flash. With every individual piece of the interface you have 30+ choices that do not affect the others; It's modular, change the music playback screen, video player, rendering speed, main menu, file browser, anything you want. One you customize it to your liking it will usually be easier and quicker to operate than an iTouch.

Screen: OLED screens make most anything you can find at B-Buy or W-Mart look terrible... they are that good. Hold up an OLED screen to your average LCD and the LCD seems to be almost black and white. Black is black, if you display a black picture in dim or bright conditions it appears as if the screen is off.

Controls: All playback functions and volume controls can be accessed in your pocket, screen off, on, whenever, independent of the device being locked or not (you can change this too though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back