Advice on closed earphones
Dec 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Daniel4IEM

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Up until now my adventure with headphones has been limited to IEMs. Started off with a pair of Shure's and upgraded about a year or so ago to Westone 4's, which I've loved every minute of. Now I'm looking for something to wear at work to block out noise but can take off and put on easily. I've read a bunch of threads on this topic but wanted to ask for advice based on my specific criteria. 

Looking for some new, closed, over the ear cans. Budget could go as high as $300, maybe $350, but goal is to catch a deal. CES is right around the corner, and I'll actually be attending for work reasons so would get a great opportunity to walk the floor and see what's new out there. So not sure if that should influence me postponing the purchase decision or not.

I listen to a pretty wide range of music, but in order of frequency and preference I'd say the list is:

-Singer/songwriter acoustic
-Latin- salsa (lots of percussion), latin rock, etc.
-Hip-hop
-Classical
-Classic Rock

So, in addition to bringing out the best in the genre's above, here's what I'm looking for:

-good noise isolation so I can wear them at work and block out others (need over the ear)
-Comfort is hugely important- my head is fairly small and hate when my ears get hot
-no amp, would drive them from phone or computer

So far I've tried and eliminated the AKG-550 due to large size and inability to get a seal, and the Sennheiser HD Pro 380 due to mediocre sound (although I loved the light weight and pricetag $175). Currently I am trying a pair of Shure SRH 940's. Paid $225 which seemed good, but I'm not totally satisfied as they are pretty heavy and hurt the top of my head, and are missing something on the low end for me...and they are ridiculously big on my head which calls unnecessary attention.

So I'd love to hear advice on other models I ought to try.

Thanks so much in advance, you are all amazing.

-Daniel 

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 4
I have just received my Audio Technica ATH-A900X. Initial impressions (out of the box, unamped from iPad2) are good. I will post a formal review once they are burned-in and I've had a chance to use them with a variety of sources and amps.

This would be one alternative, another could be the new Sony MDR-1R.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks so much for your reply. I'll definitely look into those models as well. Any other opinions out there? Hoping for some more feedback... and I wonder if I'll have a better response if I posted somewhere else on the site...

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks so much for your reply. I'll definitely look into those models as well. Any other opinions out there? Hoping for some more feedback... and I wonder if I'll have a better response if I posted somewhere else on the site...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

The Fiio E10 USB - DAC - Headphone amplifier would improve just about any headphone you would use with your computer.
It's only $44.99 at Adorama, http://www.adorama.com/FIE10.html

Audio Technica ATH-A900X's are sweet sounding headphones
Used one are selling for $175 on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Closed-Back-Over-Ear-Audiophile-Dynamic-Headphone-NEW-/261142377237?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3ccd4c7315

Users who are viewing this thread

Back