Advice on buying full size cans, upgrade from HD25-1 II.
Feb 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

yliu

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to find the best full size headphones that suits my needs. I have a Sennheiser HD25-1 II and I love the sound of it, so I'd like to ask you guys if there is any full sized cans that has similar sound signature as the HD25 but it should be an upgrade sound quality wise.

I have no experience in full sized cans, and I'm not going to hook it up to an headphone amp.
My budget would be 300 USD (might be able to push it a little bit).

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 12
I don't think there's anything under 300 USD that's gonna offer a noticeable upgrade over the HD25-1 II, especially if you don't have an amp.
What is it you like so much about the HD25-1 II? If you like the aggressive sound signature and intimate soundstage, I'd suggest looking into some higher end Grados.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
I don't think there's anything under 300 USD that's gonna offer a noticeable upgrade over the HD25-1 II, especially if you don't have an amp.
What is it you like so much about the HD25-1 II? If you like the aggressive sound signature and intimate soundstage, I'd suggest looking into some higher end Grados.

I just liked almost everything about the HD25, the bass is tight and punchy but not overwhelming, mids are clear, and highs are very good. Although I'd like to hear a more open sound.
Anyways, I was looking at the Sennheiser HD598, or some Beyerdynamics, or the Denon AH-D2000.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 12
HD250II Linear does have very similar but more open and full-range sound so it can be qualified as a full-sized HD25.
Unfortunately no longer in production and it is more inefficient because of the 300 ohm impedance but it can still be driven from most sources. The HD598 and the D2000 both sound very different.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 12
The D2000 is bassy but not in the best way (boomy and a bit slow), the highs are peaky and the midrange is cold and recessed. The DT990 has a sort-of similar U-shaped sound signature. The HD598 is the opposite forward and bright but the bottom line is: none of these sound like a full-sized HD25 (imho of course).

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Ok, can you guys list some full size headphones that sound at least as good as the HD25 throughout the whole spectrum? I don't really mind if the sound is more flat compared to the HD25.
Do I have to get something like a HD600, 650?

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 12
DT990 have tight well controlled punchy not bloated bass great detailed clear mids and highs but at the same time highs are too bright and even EQ can only7 reduce braightness but not get rid of it completely that's why my pair is in for sale forum already for a while

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 12
I own the HD25 too - it's very forward sounding. Like the previous posters, Senns 598 is laid back (i had these too) - which is very unlike the HD25. imo, senns 598 and beyer 880 are somewhat similiar in terms of signature - though 880 sounds a bit fuller to me.

I think HD25 doesn't sound very Sennheiser-ish. Probably something from Grados / Alessandro might fit the bill (I haven't heard those from 325 and above though) - very forward and aggressive. I liked my MS1 a lot (but i've sold it), and i like the HD25 too. =)

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #12 of 12
I've also got some HD25's that I've had for a number of years. I bought them to use in an open office environment and they've been superb. 

I've recently picked up some nice open headphones for use at home, and would like to upgrade my "work headphones", so I'm looking for an upgrade from the HD25. My main priorities are noise insulation (this is great for the office and also when travelling), good bass (most of my listening is electronica), musical (as opposed to highly detailed for analytic listening) sound. If I can use the new headphones unamped from an iPod, that's a bonus but not a big deal. If I could get something with generally better sound than the HD25 but with bigger soundstage, that would be nice.

Any thoughts?

I should add that I'm still very happy with the HD25's and will gladly stick with them. I'm just conscious that I've had them for a number of years and there are probably better similar headphones around now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back