Advice on all in one Amp/Dac
Jun 16, 2014 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Amojo

New Head-Fier
Hey All, been taken my time reading through many pages and now taken the plunged to post for some much needed advice please. I want to get all in one amp dac to bring all my sources to one place PC onboard sound, TV & Blu Ray. The problem is I am not able to go somewhere to listen to list I have come up with. Also want to get better sound from my current sources, and had enough of pulling cable out everytime i want to use it.

My music is very wide from Classical - Dub step to Indie my headphones so far are Philips X1 & Wavemaster Two - active speakers (which I also want to hook up to the amp/dac), however sure not going to stop there with headphones. So the ability to power 250+ ohm is + in my factor also.

My budget is £400 so far come up with the following

Denon DA-300USB
NAD D3020
Audiolab q-dac
Audio-GD NFB-11
Teac UD-H01

Can I ask what would your recommendation would be out of that list?
Or have I missed something else.

Cheers

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 10
I can't recommend any as I don't own any of them, but I'll try to help guide you in your search for an answer.

I think out of the ones you have listed, the Audio-GD is one of the more popular DAC's that a lot of people here own, and you should definitely read through the official thread on it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread

Being both concerned with audio performance AND build quality, the NAD is one that I have been eyeing myself, that I'll probably get around to purchasing eventually. It's not as well reviewed here but there are a lot of outside reviews on it. They have collected a lot of them on the official product page, so check those out here: http://nadelectronics.com/products/digital-music/D-3020-Hybrid-Digital-Amplifier#heading-reviews

The Teac is another one that caught my eye because of its gorgeous design and other components in the same product line that all look beautiful together, although after reading some reviews, it seems like the actual audio performance doesn't rank as high as others. That isn't to say that it gets BAD reviews, just that it doesn't seem to be as good in terms of audio performance as others in its class / price range. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 10
The NAD does not appear to have analog outputs for your speakers--double check that.

I think the Emotiva XDA-2 also has the connections you need. Not sure if they ship to your location.

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 10
My music is very wide from Classical - Dub step to Indie my headphones so far are Philips X1 & Wavemaster Two - active speakers (which I also want to hook up to the amp/dac), however sure not going to stop there with headphones. So the ability to power 250+ ohm is + in my factor also.
My budget is £400 so far come up with the following
Denon DA-300USB
NAD D3020
Audiolab q-dac
Audio-GD NFB-11
Teac UD-H01

I have the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 and I have no regrets buying it.
Part of me wants to sell off the NFB-15.32 and get the NFB-11.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 10
The NAD does not appear to have analog outputs for your speakers--double check that.

I think the Emotiva XDA-2 also has the connections you need. Not sure if they ship to your location.

Can’t believe I missed that with the NAD so close to hitting the buy button as it did
Tick all the right boxes. Thank you for point that out just took it for granted it was RCA out.

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 10
head-fi is too difficult
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking that way :) 

Ok Looks like getting it down to NAD D1050 - Audiolab Q-DAC or Teac UD-301 a little closer to making my mind up....

Any views on these 3?

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 10
Unless you are getting a good discount off MSRP, I'd go with the Audio-GD before the NAD. With NAD, you are paying for their extensive marketing and the profit that the retailer has to make. That's why so many of us buy factory direct from smaller companies like Audio-GD on Head-Fi. Many of the Internet direct audio vendors are just better price/performance values. I have two headphone amps, a DAC, a pair of passive speakers, a t-amp, and a powered subwoofer that are all Internet direct vendor products :)

I don't know anything about the Audiolab Q-DAC, but Teacs small headphone amp/dac/digital amp units are generally a good value *if* you are not paying full MSRP.

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Also check and see if anyone is selling any Audio-GD units in the classifieds on Head-Fi. You might find someone in the UK or EU that would give you a good deal :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 10
  Was looking at the Audio-GD NFB-11 but seems to be out of stock from the nearest french retailer... Have sent email Audio-GD themselves
Only problem not sure what amount of import Tax i could be hit with coming to the UK....

When Audio-GD shipped me my $255 NFB-15.32, they listed a value of $100 USD, with the shipping company.
So I'm guessing when they ship to the UK, they will list a value of around 60 GBP, with the shipping company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back