advice on a new DAP for classical music (mostly)
Sep 20, 2017 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gottsilva

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,
Being new to the subject, never having had the oportunity to try a DAP (never even saw one in a shop), I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
I'd like to have a portable gadget that allowed me a good listening experience. I'd listen to multiple genre but would like the DAP to be tuned for classical. Here's a few questions:
1-What sound signature should I look for having classical music listening in mind? (read about it, seems like neutral is best);
2-Many DAP models are hard to find in europe, I don't know why... Sometimes I find them second-hand. Back in the day you would expect electronics to show signs of wear with time, so should I expect a used modern DAP to also have a degraded performance relative to a new one? How intense or likely would that be?
3-Knowing something about the design trade, I know many products are designed to fit a specific price range for marketing purposes, and its components are chosen accordingly (with cost, not performance in mind). What's the minimum price range where you'll expect a DAP to have been designed for a particular response, then priced, not the other way around?
4-What models would you suggest from the considerations above?
Thank you very much in advance.
L

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I wouldn't worry about DAP "sound signatures" as this matters significantly less than how the headphone sounds. Try looking at the FiiO X lineup!

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 8
For classical a neutral sound with an open soundstage is what you'll be looking for.

Check out the Audio Opus #1 DAP, probably the lowest you'll have to spend to get excellent performance with the music you like.

The cheaper Fiios and the Shanling M2s are all excellent performers but lack a little in absolute sound quality as they are feature packed.

The Opus #1 is a pure music player so they focussed on getting the best sound quality possible out of it, and it is a superb player.

If you want to spend a little less the ATC HiFi HDA-DP20 is well worth looking into, the sound is slightly smooth but very open and spacious.

Both the Opus #1 and ATC are easily available in Europe

Neither the Opus nor the ATC have any streaming services like the Fiio.

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 8
update: found the ATC. If it's a solid choice for a starter's kit, I'd go for it.There are many choices in that price range. Any rivals, concerning sound?

edit: I found the Cayin N6 for 25% over the price of the ATC hda-dp20. I realise the N6 is an older model that used to be on a higher price range. But does it sound better than the ATC, to make the extra effort worthwhile?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 8
update: found the ATC. If it's a solid choice for a starter's kit, I'd go for it.There are many choices in that price range. Any rivals, concerning sound?

edit: I found the Cayin N6 for 25% over the price of the ATC hda-dp20. I realise the N6 is an older model that used to be on a higher price range. But does it sound better than the ATC, to make the extra effort worthwhile?

http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/dap-d...98-x2-24bit192khz-dsd-symetrique-p-10581.html

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 8

I had found that one too... The price made me quiver. Computing VAT and delivery rates it would cost over 3x the price tag at amazon.com, which I found pretty strange and so I had disregarded that. BUT - thanks to you I insisted on the opus and searched with "baladeur" as a keyword and found another french shop that sold for half that price, DHL delivery and all costs included, much closer to the price tag at amazon.com.

Any ideas for earbuds up to 50$ or thereabouts for the same purpose? Is the Etymotic MC5 a decent neutral IEM for classical music? Other options in the same price range?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back