Advice on a new amp
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 9
If you are curious about tube or tube/solid-state hybrid amps, you might consider the Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 and the Monolith Liquid Platinum (by Cavalli). Their prices are $349.00 and $399.00 currently (the LP is on sale) before shipping or taxes.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 9
All nested loopback amps 789 -like sound dark, uninvolving, unless colouration is added, which is also not perfect.

What about Audio GD A-2 $315? Or a slightly weaker amp, but with great DAC for the price: R2R11 $350? These are class A devices, discrete design, no loopback.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 9
If you are curious about tube or tube/solid-state hybrid amps, you might consider the Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 and the Monolith Liquid Platinum (by Cavalli). Their prices are $349.00 and $399.00 currently (the LP is on sale) before shipping or taxes.
Primarily interested in a solid state.....for now. Just saw something that Josh Valour did with a cheap tube amp as a pre-amp with a solid state amp that looked interesting.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 9
All nested loopback amps 789 -like sound dark, uninvolving, unless colouration is added, which is also not perfect.

What about Audio GD A-2 $315? Or a slightly weaker amp, but with great DAC for the price: R2R11 $350? These are class A devices, discrete design, no loopback.
I don't see where you can get that GD A-2 in the US. And if only slightly weaker that could be my solution as I do like a little warmth and color in my listening.

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't see where you can get that GD A-2 in the US. And if only slightly weaker that could be my solution as I do like a little warmth and color in my listening.
If you like a warmth, tube is the best, then SS class A.

Importing is not that difficult, but you need someone in your area who owns such equipment, it may be a problem. R2R11 amp is not colouring. It is very neutral on a warm side, not the same. All A-GD amps have similar signature. It is very punchy and while it won't add any sibilants, it will not improve poor recording, it may sound little rough on a bright headphones. A-2 should run more smooths, but I didn't listen to. A DAC portion sounds fantastic, I can recommend without reservation. There is no other DAC in this price range it could compete. It is a pure NOS discrete ladder for the natural presentation. DAC do not provide DSP filtering nor oversampling option. If you like more smooth presentation (more similar to Delta-sigma decoders), Foobar 2000 with SoX do it very well on PC.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 9
If you like a warmth, tube is the best, then SS class A.

Importing is not that difficult, but you need someone in your area who owns such equipment, it may be a problem. R2R11 amp is not colouring. It is very neutral on a warm side, not the same. All A-GD amps have similar signature. It is very punchy and while it won't add any sibilants, it will not improve poor recording, it may sound little rough on a bright headphones. A-2 should run more smooths, but I didn't listen to. A DAC portion sounds fantastic, I can recommend without reservation. There is no other DAC in this price range it could compete. It is a pure NOS discrete ladder for the natural presentation. DAC do not provide DSP filtering nor oversampling option. If you like more smooth presentation (more similar to Delta-sigma decoders), Foobar 2000 with SoX do it very well on PC.
Thanks. That's why Im looking for an amp that can drive most anything. What goes before it can change as technology changes. Like I said in an earlier post I could put an affordable like ; https://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V2-Multi-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B00ADR2DTG
That will give me many ways 5o adjust the sound along with eq's and things like that foobar rec you mentioned that is new to me.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Primarily interested in a solid state.....for now. Just saw something that Josh Valour did with a cheap tube amp as a pre-amp with a solid state amp that looked interesting.

I picked up an Atom amp a while back - about the time it was released.. I think it's a great value (clearly not alone in
this assessment.)

So then, just a few months ago, I bought an EL AMP II, "B" Stock for $200.
(It's another JDS product.)
John Seaber told me to get one rather than a new one; he said they're the same.

I really like the way this amp sounds. Very smooth and pure with plenty of power.
It's got some style points, and the price is certainly right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back