advice needed for headphones: budget roughly £100
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

macmac

New Head-Fier
hi have been lurking for a while and well gues what i need some phones
smily_headphones1.gif
at the moment i just have wireless (i know) seinhesiers. i want something with some quality. i mainly listen to electronica, but also some rock - heavy and light (acoustic), breaks/dub/faster idm/jungle.... and as well as that they will be used for gaming (ps3 and pc-counterstrike mainly). Some times they will be used from a x-fi fatatilty soundcard and cambridge audio amp but also from my laptop asus m50sa's soundcard as well as the ps3.

so i need something thats really good without an amp, i guess with the possibility of me buying one later. also would like good bass but most importantly SQ!

the a9000s looked impressive for my needs, but i had a set with the unusual head bits before and didnt really get on with them.... also will be having to put them in my bag sometimes so probably a regular headrest is needed....

budget £100 -give or take :p

thanks

any suggestions?

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 15
+2 on the HD25 MKIIs, a firm favourite for DJs for a good reason.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 15
ultrasone what? the 750s? they look really cheap lol but im not really worried about image.
smily_headphones1.gif
obviously sound is more important just cant believe something so expensive looks like that? sorry to offend anyone...

the seinheissers look impressive, how do they rate compared to the a9000s? they certainly look alot more practical for what im needing.
smily_headphones1.gif
but i honestly wouldnt mind bigger if it meant +EQ as im used to lugging my 15" laptop around anyway. but the odd design where the rods sit above your head just wont work for me.....

i should add most of what i listen to is 320 mp3s or streaming from last fm.. isan, aphex twin, muziq, alot of warp, snow robots, rephlex,geeky with alot of delicate noises and occasional big bass. Although i realise the quality suffers from mp3s, even 320s im also used to listening to this type of music with a fairly decent system through the x-fi to azur 640 to rega jura floorstanders. in my car i use a pioneer usb with my portable harddrive and genesis audiophile amp/speakers.

just mentioning that because well the audiophile i bought the rega jura speakers off was appalled and told me it would sound 10x better using my cheap £20 dvd player as a source over my comp cd. but i still think spending (what i consider) alot of money is worthwhile for listening to mp3s. they still sound amazing on the juras at a high bit rate imho.

so... bearing all this in mind and the fact i will clearly spend up to £150 if it is worthwhile do you recomend the hd25s over the Beyerdynamic Dt250 and
2-AKG 271s listed in the buyers guide?

thanks alot.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 15
I've not heard the A9000s but would take the HD25s over DT250s and 271s, for sure. They're really almost perfect for what you want.

Er, why listen to 320 mp3 if you're playing back from HDD? Just go lossless.

Don't know what that other guy is on but a cheap DVD player will almost certainly sound like crap.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by macmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i want something with some quality. i mainly listen to electronica, but also some rock - heavy and light (acoustic), breaks/dub/faster idm/jungle.... and as well as that they will be used for gaming (ps3 and pc-counterstrike mainly). Some times they will be used from a x-fi fatatilty soundcard and cambridge audio amp but also from my laptop asus m50sa's soundcard as well as the ps3.

so i need something thats really good without an amp, i guess with the possibility of me buying one later. also would like good bass but most importantly SQ!

Quote:

ultrasone what? the 750s? they look really cheap lol but im not really worried about image.
smily_headphones1.gif
obviously sound is more important just cant believe something so expensive looks like that? sorry to offend anyone...

the seinheissers look impressive, how do they rate compared to the a9000s? they certainly look alot more practical for what im needing.
smily_headphones1.gif
but i honestly wouldnt mind bigger if it meant +EQ as im used to lugging my 15" laptop around anyway. but the odd design where the rods sit above your head just wont work for me.....

IMO, it's risky buying headphones for "SQ" and not driving it properly or well with a dedicated amp. It can be like trying to drive nice full range, floorstanding speakers with a cheap, underpowered receiver. Or, another one, it can be like asking a car salesman for the fastest car on the lot and then special order it with a 1000cc 3 cylinder econo-engine. FWIR and based on my previous use of the PL650, the Ultrasone Proline 750 (search PL750) seems like a good match for your needs. I've used the A900 without an amp and I much preferred the PL650 without an amp for electronica. I suggest the HD25-1 II (MKII) right after the PL750 because you are not amping (but may eventually) and it is so highly regarded. I listen to classic rock, classical, electronica, and jazz, but I don't listen primarily to electronica. So my pick between these two for my needs would be the HD25-1 II (MKII), because I'm pretty sure it would be fun and I would amp it. Again, SQ without an amp = risky. If not amping, the PL750 should do well for your stated needs, and it should do even better if amped. But if the form factor of the HD25 is important to you, I don't suggest letting my PL750 suggestion dissuade you.

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 15
ok thats odd. some msgs seem to have got deleted.well anyway will see if i can try any at the weekend in the city. doubt they have a great selection.

the hd-25 have been said to not be that great compared to the proline 750s. im still quite suprised by the look of the prolines. very cheap and hard to get in the uk. is a hard job deciding
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

ok thats odd. some msgs seem to have got deleted.well anyway will see if i can try any at the weekend in the city. doubt they have a great selection.

the hd-25 have been said to not be that great compared to the proline 750s. im still quite suprised by the look of the prolines. very cheap and hard to get in the uk. is a hard job deciding
frown.gif

Right, Head-Fi must have had a problem and some posts got deleted last night. You should get the HD25-1 II. There, see how easy that decision was?

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 15
alot of people here seem to poopoo them. saying the proline750s are far superior. so its not that easy. its alot of money to lay down for me. also juts saw some metalic 750s. look alot better build.....

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

alot of people here seem to poopoo them. saying the proline750s are far superior. so its not that easy. its alot of money to lay down for me. also juts saw some metalic 750s. look alot better build.....

My one word characterizations of these two based on my experience with Sennheisers, what I've read, and my experience with the PL650: HD25-1 II = fun, PL750 = precision. For electronica and without an amp, I think they both would do (edit) well, the PL750 better. After that it comes down to personal preference. As for most saying the PL750 is better, the relevant question must be: "better at what?" I also suggest starting a poll thread titled something like "HD25-1II vs Proline 750 for Electronica". And be specific about the types of electronica you listen to, whether you will be amping, what your source is, how much you may be spending on an amp in the future, whether you want a bigger sound stage (PL750) or a smaller one (HD25-1 II). A specific disucssion about these two for your uses should help.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 15
would i be right in thinking my cambridge audio amp wont amp these? the headphone socket wont actually add power to them? noob

tried out hd-25s. nice. couldnt find any others i wanted to reference them to. i liked the compactness but does this mean they lack bass compared to bigger phones like the sein 650s, or pro 750s?

Oct 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 15
also would the hd-25s (fun) be better for 320mp3s then the accurate p750s?
maybe they would be the better choice for portability and when im more settled i can go for a higher range open back and amp for home and some flacs...

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

also would the hd-25s (fun) be better for 320mp3s then the accurate p750s?
maybe they would be the better choice for portability and when im more settled i can go for a higher range open back and amp for home and some flacs...

I don't think the 320mp3s will matter. I also suggest considering the HFI780. I think you will get input from more Head-Fiers if you start another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back