Advice needed fast! Over ear for around $150!
Sep 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

helloimdan

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, im new to this site, so please dont kill me if im doing something massively wrong!

Basically, im on holiday in Tampa, Florida, and ive only just got round to doing what i wanted to be doing here - buying tec! Its all so much cheaper here than back home in the UK, and the thing i really wanted to buy was some over-ear high end headphones. I own some little Senn PX200i's, and some little in ear buds, but to round of my audio collection what i really need is some over ear bigboys for my laptop and long journeys on my ipod. Im not that in to the teccy side of headphones, although im trying to learn, so dont drown me in figures that are too complicated. 

Id be listening to almost any genre of music on them (Britpop/Indie/Soul/Rock/Pop/RnB... you name it...) so good all-rounders are a necessity!

Id be looking to spend about $150, but id go a bit higher for something thats much better and on offer nearby, but the real catch is that im only around for 1 more day, so a really concise and clear thread would be a great help!

I nearly bought some Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, as most reviews i saw said that they were the ones to go for, but now im finding some reviews that contradict that. My brother has some of those Senns that they always use on skysports etc, and they are amazing, but id really like something more comfy than them - kinda like the BOSE AE2s, but i found the quality wasnt that good on them, so basically you can probably see my confusion. 

Id probably be buying from a BestBuy or Radioshack or something along those lines, so dont suggest anything too rare or i wont be able to find it.

So to sumarise:
  1. About $150
  2. Suitable for all genres
  3. Top end (or as close as the price allows)
  4. Over Ear
  5. Suitable for Ipod and Laptop

Thanks in advance for any help, i really value it. Ill let you know how i get on!

Dan

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 19
Tampa should also have a Guitar Center music store (sells guitars, drums, dj equipment, etc.). They will also typically have a good selection of DJ headphones in stock. You can use their website to find out if the local store has stock in whichever model headphone you are interested in. Nice thing about DJ headphones is that they are generally fairly durable for the price.

ATH-M50s are very solid all arounders. They are easy to drive with a laptop or ipod. What happens is people buy them first, then discover another headphone in the same price range with a different sonic signature was better suited for their tastes. But that doesn't negate the fact that the ATM-M50s are very good for the price. So if you can't listen to any to compare sound signatures, it's still a good choice.

See Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame lists. Each item generally links to a fuller review. You might find something there you like:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for your quick reply- I was thinking of doing just that (get them at Guitar Center) but they've sold out! Any other ideas? I tried BestBuy and they're all out too. I'm still open to another type of headphone, it's just these are what everyone, including you, is saying are the best having checked at even more forums.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 19
Based on their website, looks like all the Guitar Centers in the Tampa Bay area have some Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s. I think that they are a step above the M50s. But they also cost $199 at Guitar Center, and those are a German brand. You can buy them for £129 from Amazon UK.

Sorry. I don't know. Most of us order off the Internet to get the best deals.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 19
the Audio Technica Pro500MK2 and the Hd 439 are two amazing headphones that each serve different purposes
The PRO500: also known as the Denon hp700, this is one of the most detailed headphones under 200 dollars as well as one with Smooth and nice mids, thumpy bass and extremely awesome treble all with a nice amount of speed and decay with Great build quaity and a detachable cable, but the headphones earpads are unfortunately uncomfortable for those with large ears.

The Hd 439: the most underappreciated modder's cans with the so many possibilities that t50rp users will look in awe. anyways these cans, stock that is, sound pretty decent with a somewhat weak amount of bass some lovely mids and great treble, that is until the burn-in kicks in, which after approximately 20 hours, makes everything much more amazing with the bass coming in for a nice amount of punch and the mids becoming almost luscious and the highs being teensy 'bit better. Other features include detachable cable and EXTREMELYYY comfy velour pads and velour headband. the only problems are that it feels incredibly plasticky and that the soundstage stock is incredibly small and weak

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 19
also don't mean to start putting down Mr.cel, but the M50's are incredibly overrated cans that are not worth how much money they are in comparison to the cans I put up above of, which unfortunately because of the m50, were overshadowed and lost in the wind

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 19
Nothing to be sorry about, you're being an incredible help! Where would you compare those Bayerdynamic DT770 s with the Pro500Mk2 s and the HD439 s? Baring in mind that I'm happy to burn them in, but I do listen to a wide variety of stuff. The bayerdynamic ones do look incredible, and the styling is something if definitely take in to account if the differences are marginal.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 19
also don't mean to start putting down Mr.cel, but the M50's are incredibly overrated cans that are not worth how much money they are in comparison to the cans I put up above of, which unfortunately because of the m50, were overshadowed and lost in the wind

Well, as I said above, there are people that prefer the different sound signature of some headphones over another. I don't think the ATH-PRO500 MK ll were "lost in the wind." Just not everyone agrees with you that they are better. In fact, they are a more colored headphone--so not as much of an all arounder.

For instance, Golden Ears ratings (see charts in section 6 on each page), rates the M50 as a better headphone, performing better in almost every category:

http://en.goldenears.net/10034
http://en.goldenears.net/13798

So the PRO500 will be bass heavy compared to the M50, a conclusion that headfonics also came to: http://headfonics.com/2011/06/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-one-word-bass/

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 19
You should read about the KRK KNS 8400. A studio headphone, more neutral sounding. Guitar Center or Best Buy may carry it.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #13 of 19
Well, as I said above, there are people that prefer the different sound signature of some headphones over another. I don't think the ATH-PRO500 MK ll were "lost in the wind." Just not everyone agrees with you that they are better. In fact, they are a more colored headphone--so not as much of an all arounder.

For instance, Golden Ears ratings (see charts in section 6 on each page), rates the M50 as a better headphone, performing better in almost every category:

http://en.goldenears.net/10034
http://en.goldenears.net/13798

So the PRO500 will be bass heavy compared to the M50, a conclusion that headfonics also came to: http://headfonics.com/2011/06/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-one-word-bass/

Let me correct my self, the cans I should have said that lost most, if not all of it's buyers to the M50 was the denon hp700's as those would be able to directly compare, in terms of overall sound, but you are right about the pro500's as they are tuned to be a bit bassier

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 19
So basically, I'm torn between;
HD 439
ATH M50
KRK KNS 8400
Beyerdynamic DT 770

Because my family and I have only had good experiences with KRK & Senns I'd probably lean towards them, but if anyone could just put them in what they thought was a best 3 of them that'd be great.
After researching the Citiscape Uptowns, they're supposed to be incredibly comfy and immersive, with a great soundstage, but lack real quality of sound.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 19
Nothing to be sorry about, you're being an incredible help! Where would you compare those Bayerdynamic DT770 s with the Pro500Mk2 s and the HD439 s? Baring in mind that I'm happy to burn them in, but I do listen to a wide variety of stuff. The beyerdynamic ones do look incredible, and the styling is something if definitely take in to account if the differences are marginal.

Over all the three are quite radically different in terms of the different house signature sounds, but I haven't had the chance to hear the dt770's unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back