Advice needed: Diana v2 vs Diana Phi vs Focal Utopia
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NYanakiev

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone,

Would really appreciate your advice. I am a former owner a pair of Utopias, which I very much liked but had to sell due to a change of circumstances at the time.
I am considering trading in my Audeze LCD-i4 for a full size pair of headphones and have been considering the Utopia and the two Abyss headphones: Diana v2 and Diana Phi.

Unfortunately, I haven't listened to either of the Abyss models and reviews and impressions can only tell so much. I am a massive MMR fan and found my dream IEM in the MMR Thummim- I am ideally looking for something as exciting, rather than too reference a headphone.

I am considering the two Abyss headphones due to the overwhelmingly positive feedback and their quality build/small size (in spite of the worrying reports of paint chipping away easily);

Would very much appreciate your input- especially by people who have had the chance to listen to all three.
Any other suggestions are also more than welcome!

Cheers,
Nick

EDIT: Forgot to ads that I don't own a desktop amplifier so ideally looking for something that will be driven sufficiently well by my Hugo 2 or another portable amplifier.

EDIT 2: I also considered ZMF's VC but those are too big and heavy for my liking (and require lots of power to drive well enough)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 15
If you didn’t mind the small soundstage of the utopia I think you’d like the Diana v2

they are more holographic but still have a smallish soundstage but I like them much better than the utopia

many people like the v2 more than the phi as well. I’ve heard the 1266phi cc and v2 but not the Diana phi

Diana v2 has the best treble response and detail I’ve ever heard long with the 1266

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 15
Hmm interesting...

I would be rather more inclined to invest in a pair of headphones with a larger soundstage as that is one of the things about Thummim that impress me as much.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 15
If you liked the utopia and want a large soundstage, then i would also seriously consider the hekse. Can run and sound good out of anything, including an iphone imho.

you can find recent news ones in the classfieds at times for about $2500usd or so

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 15
Hi everyone,

Would really appreciate your advice. I am a former owner a pair of Utopias, which I very much liked but had to sell due to a change of circumstances at the time.
I am considering trading in my Audeze LCD-i4 for a full size pair of headphones and have been considering the Utopia and the two Abyss headphones: Diana v2 and Diana Phi.

Unfortunately, I haven't listened to either of the Abyss models and reviews and impressions can only tell so much. I am a massive MMR fan and found my dream IEM in the MMR Thummim- I am ideally looking for something as exciting, rather than too reference a headphone.

I am considering the two Abyss headphones due to the overwhelmingly positive feedback and their quality build/small size (in spite of the worrying reports of paint chipping away easily);

Would very much appreciate your input- especially by people who have had the chance to listen to all three.
Any other suggestions are also more than welcome!

Cheers,
Nick

EDIT: Forgot to ads that I don't own a desktop amplifier so ideally looking for something that will be driven sufficiently well by my Hugo 2 or another portable amplifier.

EDIT 2: I also considered ZMF's VC but those are too big and heavy for my liking (and require lots of power to drive well enough)

I have a Diana V2 coming towards end of December, planning to drive it with Hiby R8 initially before the Burson amp arrives early January. I also own LCDi4 and will be able to provide comparison with V2 including the soundstage out of R8. I haven’t heard the Thummim, but i4 does have a very immersive yet expansive soundstage (using cipher cable out of R8’s USB-C). I’m hoping the V2 can match i4 soundwise since the pairing of i4 + cipher + R8 is the best sounding combo to my ears.

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 15
LCD-i4 is a fantastic IEM that I would liken more to a pair of headphones. I use it pretty much exclusively with Roon's DSP- be it with my Chord Hugo+2Go or Mojo+Poly.
My main issue with it is two fold:

1) wearing comfort isn't that great for longer sessions with the provided ear hooks
2) fiddliness- I have to keep reminding myself to take it out of its case for a listen as it is not as plug and play as putting a pair of headphones on

My original intention was to just keep the Thummim for on the go and lcd-i4 for at home use but let's see where I end up!

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 15
Go to Verite Open then.

A little background about me:
Had Utopia, own Diana v2 and ZMF VO. Also a fan of Thummim here. That effortless and really extend treble, fluid midrange, punchy and tight bass with good impact, with 3D soundstage feel.

Diana actually sounds really fluid, but the soundstage rather intimate due to the a little bit midcentric character. So I think your safest bet is go to ZMF VO (Universe pad may produce a little too much bass, but verite pad has perfect tonal for my taste)

Verite close (monkeypod), is like ZMF Verite Open (silkwood) with additional bass and midrange body, and also darker treble. Punchier sound than VO, but less clear on mid and treble area.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 15
I own the Utopia and Diana Phi. Personally, I prefer the DiPhi but if you intend to drive them with Hugo 2 - which I also own - I‘d probably go with the Utopia as they are very easy to drive and sound very good with Hugo 2. DiPhi sounds pretty good with it as well but require a lot more volume and you’d be losing some of their capability whereas I feel Utopia and Hugo 2 are well matched.

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 15
I've listened to all three and I would say if you enjoy the Utopias but dont want to get those again, then Phi is a good option. The V2's are fun as well but if you're willing to invest in dac and amp later on, the Phi will reward you. The Utopias have a relatively intimate soundstage compared to most TOTL but I don't really feel that with the Phi's. The V2's are a little smaller from my memory.

I've own the Verite Opens and I wouldn't recommend it if you felt like the VC's are too heavy. I tried the silkwood VO's and while they were quite light and very comfortable with the copilot pads, the recessed vocals were not my preference. The Utopia's and Phi's definitely have a more exciting sound signature IMO.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 15
I've listened to all three and I would say if you enjoy the Utopias but dont want to get those again, then Phi is a good option. The V2's are fun as well but if you're willing to invest in dac and amp later on, the Phi will reward you. The Utopias have a relatively intimate soundstage compared to most TOTL but I don't really feel that with the Phi's. The V2's are a little smaller from my memory.

I've own the Verite Opens and I wouldn't recommend it if you felt like the VC's are too heavy. I tried the silkwood VO's and while they were quite light and very comfortable with the copilot pads, the recessed vocals were not my preference. The Utopia's and Phi's definitely have a more exciting sound signature IMO.

Appreciate the input! I very nearly bought a Diana Phi but realised they were bought in the US ie only have a one year warranty.

I am thinking of getting another pair of Utopias after all- played with the idea of upgrading the Hugo2Go but I value its versatility and Roon compatibility too much.

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 15
Diana’s have a 3 year warranty as long as you register within the 1st 90 days

Sadly not the case if bought in another territory (as per Abyss’s website)

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 15
Sadly not the case if bought in another territory (as per Abyss’s website)

I live pretty far away from US, and still got that 3 years warranty for Diana V2.

The official warranty from the local store is 1 year, but after manually register on Abyss web, now become 3 years.

Dec 18, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks for your help everyone- ended up buying another pair of the Focal Utopias. Old but gold!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back