Advice Needed before UE trip!
Jun 6, 2005 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

phong

Head-Fier
Well here is the situation.

I need a new pair of IEMs and considering either the Shure E4 or UE super.fi 5 Pro's. I have read some initial impressions and it is concluded that well: the Superfi's has amazing bass, good mids but rolled off highs. However the E4s, according to most, has better detail and better highs. I plan to make a trip to Irvine this week to tour the UE factory (8+ hour car ride). My plans were to tour but also to make a purchase of the 5 Pros because I thought they would simply be superior to the shures. But there has been some dissapointing posts about the super.fi's. I listen to practically every genre of music so I guess I need the most balanced earphones. I plan to purchase Xin's supermacro 3 later on. Obviously Shure has the better design but the UE has replacable cables which are a BIG plus for me because my cables just gets wrecked (numerous times). Any advice? I know it is early to ask such questions but the situation is that trip. Before I was so sure about the super.fis . . . now I don't know anymore. Thanks! Patience is my enemy . . . and well lack of money to buy both to try out.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 5
Wait a sec - you're willing to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $80-100 in fuel, but can't just purchase the earphones and sell the ones you don't like on Head-fi - for probably a loss of no more than $30? Or better yet, buy from a company which accepts returns?

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

bobeau-Wait a sec - you're willing to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $80-100 in fuel, but can't just purchase the earphones and sell the ones you don't like on Head-fi - for probably a loss of no more than $30? Or better yet, buy from a company which accepts returns?

Oh yah, I won't be driving so gas money isn't an issue. My apologies. Wow my last post makes me sound like an idiot (posted during a party at a friend's house, don't ask i couldn't resist not going on his computer to check out head-fi and my email) but yeah you are right about buying from a company who accepts returns. I can do that . . . but I just tend to buy something and stick to it. Let's take the whole UE tour out of the picture
biggrin.gif

Since I listen to such a wide genre of music, I will be wanting the most neutral phones I could get? The super.fi's obviously has great bass but terrible highs yet it has that "oomph" in sound. And I have read many saying the E4s are great all around but not as "rich" or "full" as the 5 pro's. This leads me to question: which one of this is truly more of an "all around" or neutral canalphone.

Realistically how far does EQ or an amp fix problems with frequency roll offs etc?

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by phong
posted during a party at a friend's house, don't ask i couldn't resist not going on his computer to check out head-fi

lol checking head-fi at a party! You are a true audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back