Advice: Modding Custom IEM fit
Jul 18, 2012 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

harrisonhawk

Head-Fier
I recently got a pair of CIEMs from Unique Melody and while they seemed to fit quite well when I first got them, the left monitor is now a little loose on the fit, leaking in a little sound especially when I bite down. It's not compromising the sound much, in fact the bass is fine even when the seal is a little loose but it is a bit annoying, and I get kind of obsessive about these things.

I've seen a couple of people talking about using nail varnish, acrylic pain or even blu-tack to fill in any areas where the fit is a little off. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm now past the point of being able to send my monitors back for a refit so am open to suggestions, but I don't want to wreck them either so I'm calling upon the wisdom of the head-fiers!

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 11
I read somewhere that UM recommend comply soft wraps: http://www.monstermarketplace.com/earmolds-and-hearing-aid-fittings/336-comply-soft-wraps

If you contact UM they might even send you some?

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 11
This guy uses a silicone and corn starch mixture and apply it on to the area that doesn't fit right
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618813/finally-found-a-solution-to-refit-my-custom-fitted-monitors

I personally don't own a ciem but I have tried to make custom tips with some 2 part silicone mixture like the Radians custom ear plug but a lot cheaper, anything similar would do the job really.

Link to the Radians ear plug on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-plug/dp/B002CI4CPM

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 11
Jul 23, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 11
Wow, thanks for the advice on this one. I might have to give those comply wraps a go at some point. My monitors seem to have a better fit when it's hotter (guess my ears swell up a bit) so once autumn/winter/british summer kicks in I'll try them out. I think I've figured out where the bad fit is so hopefully this can help.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 11
Have you tried contacting um directly about the fit issues.  Even though it's past the point officially might be worth it to drop them an email given your previous issues with them.  One thing I'll say about Fisher is that they've always been willing to give it another go for me (even if it hasn't worked out yet after 4 attempts).  Just seems a bit off to have to bodge it after spending that amount of ££, particularly if you know what the issue is.

Thanks

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm pretty reluctant to given that my first set took 8 weeks and the remould took 9 1/2 weeks to arrive. Add to that the fact that AmpCity (UM dealer in the UK) have gone kaput and I'm sure you can see why I'm holding off sending them back. The fit isn't so bad that it's unbearable, it's more of an annoyance because it's 95% there so I figure that I'd rather try and sort it myself. I'll give it some thought though.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
I'm pretty reluctant to given that my first set took 8 weeks and the remould took 9 1/2 weeks to arrive. Add to that the fact that AmpCity (UM dealer in the UK) have gone kaput and I'm sure you can see why I'm holding off sending them back. The fit isn't so bad that it's unbearable, it's more of an annoyance because it's 95% there so I figure that I'd rather try and sort it myself. I'll give it some thought though.

Oh I sympathize fully, take a look at my situation over on the fisher thread!

Customs and uk don't seem to mix well sadly.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 11
A little update, I've been using my wife's clear nail varnish on them which had made a bit of difference, they are certainly coming loose a lot less, but the fit is still off. I might try and slather on some more varnish in key areas over the next week or so, but if that fails I'll see about those comply wraps. Still, it's better than it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back