Advice: Living in dorm, looking for noise cancelling cans...
May 15, 2007 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mikethebuzzsaw

New Head-Fier
Like the title says, I'm looking for noise canceling cans. I live in a noisy dorm room so I'd like some peace and quiet. The portable source is an ipod nano and I want good quality sounding headphones. (Not too bassy) Just an example of my taste, I own a px200 and hate it. Seems very flat and empty.

My budget is max $150, but that's only if it's truly worth the price. I rather spend under $100.

I'm eyeing either
Sony V700DJ and Sony MDR-NC50

But searching this forum, many people say there is cheaper and better alternatives. Any help?

May 15, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 14
CrossRoads MylarOne X3 $57 In-Ear, High class sound at a low price

AKG K81DJ --------- ~$60 Closed Supraaural, Bassy portables

Sony MDR V6 --------- ~$70 Closed Circumaural, Good All-rounder

Equation RP-21 ------ ~$100 Closed Circumaural, Nice Bass, Good all around

edit: sorry if i was too uninformative. It's just that I started a thread for a friend in a similar position.
err, don't go for ANC headphones, IMO they're not worth all the price premium. I used to have a roommate and a pair of Ultrasones did the trick .He used to listen to Mariah Carey and a bunch of non-descript hip-hop on his crappy Gateway speakers and it almost never bothered me. He even upgraded to a crappy Sony 2.1 setup and the isolation still worked.
Look at reviews of the Equation here. They are supposedly extremely good for the price. So are the X3. But it all depends on your tastes I would say.
Good luck.

May 15, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 14
From my experience, do not go for noise canceling cans, since the sounds in dorm are sudden most of the time, that means noise canceling will not do a good job at it, try to look for a full size close can with great seal to isolate the noise, instead of trying to cancel it.

May 15, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 14
Etymotic ER-6i

May 15, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Etymotic ER-6i (not a double post, i am just re-posting for emphasis)

May 15, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might want to check out the new Denon AH-D1000. Haven't heard them myself, but the new Denon lineup is killer (and apparently incredibly comfortable).

These aren't noise-cancelling and they hardly block out any noise. I didn't find them incredibly comfortable; those comments have been directed towards the D2000 and D5000.

I would suggest Sennheiser HD280s.

May 15, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 14
Search on athanc7 for the new ATH-ANC7 which I have and have provided some impressions in the thread with the search word above noted.

May 15, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantmShado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard good things about the ATH-ANC7, though I can't seem to remember from where. Anywho, they're active noise canceling cans at 140 from amazon. Take em how you will.

one of our own has reviewed that can, so do a search for it here on headf-fi. From what I can remember he was really getting into it for an ANC.

ANC, however, typically works well with background noises like low hums (i.e. airplane engines). You might be happier with a set of passively isolating cans. I really recommend Equation Audio's RP-15mc or RP-21 as good starters (you might have to go a little out of your way to get your hands on a pair, but they're worth it, and the MAP is still considerably less than the MSRP most places.)

May 16, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 14
Unless your #1 annoyance is the RA vacuuming the hall, don't get active noise cancelling cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back