Advice? - how to carry your full-sized phones?
Sep 24, 2002 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

RunsWithScissors

100+ Head-Fier
It seems like it's gonna take a brave little group to tackle this quest so here goes...

What does everyone use to carry their gear around? I'm looking for specific recommendations for mainly toting my stuff back and forth between work and home.

stuff I want to carry:
- Beyer DT250-80 (measure roughly 8"x6"x3" and they don't fold for anyone not familiar with them)

- RioVolt - portable MP3CD player

- A few CDs

- I intend to eventually get an amp so factor in a box approx 5"x5"x1" too

I drive to and from work so I'm not concerned greatly with ergonomics but I would like some protection from elements (waterproof/repellent) and abuse (padding). These requirements are flexible.

At the very least, I'd like something to carry the phones back and forth without having to stuff a full laptop size bag. Oh yeah, I carry one of those already...

I'm also not very concerned about a bag that will let me interconnect everything so I can use the gear while its in the bag - I just want to cart it around easily. I've looked at bags like the Headroom traveller (overkill and too much $$$) and the HR headphone bag (too minimalistic).

Anyone found a good solution that might fit my needs too?

Thanks for any suggestions you'd care to offer.

BTW - does Mordor offer free shipping?
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 18
Note to MOD - Can you please change the thread title to "Advice? - how to carry your full-sized phones?"

I'd really like to get some feedback on this topic.

I used the search feature prior to posting and again (several times) after getting no replies.

I've looked at some options like bags from timbuk2 and case logic as well as those available from headroom and without first hand experience am looking for feedback.

At this point, I am also just looking for a good way to transport full size phones (Beyer 250) back and forth between work and home without lugging an entire backpack which is essentially only carrying my phones and potentially pcdp, and eventually a small amp.

A little help please? ...

Sep 26, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by mlchang
Do you want a soft case exclusively? There are some nice plastic cases out there too.

Michael

I'm open to any and all suggestions though my first preference would be a soft case.

I've seen some of the briefcase-style plastic and aluminum cases (one mentioned avail from Leowes?) and they don't really fit my style.

I might be open to a case just for the phones and another for all gear (phones, pcdp, amp) too.

Sep 26, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 18
Why not a small backpack?
Or a different phone which folds and doesn't need an amp?

Sep 26, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Why not a small backpack?
Or a different phone which folds and doesn't need an amp?

I'm currently using a backpack (not exactly small Jansport) and it does the job but it would be nice if I had something else to just shuttle the phones around. I carry them back and forth between home and work several days each week - sometimes with the pcdp sometimes by themselves.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I only own one set of phones - beyer 250-80, my first nice set of phones. They meet all my needs for work and home and so I have no immed plans to get another pair of phones.

I don't intend to use the Beyers portably, ie walking around or working out. But simply want something more convenient than my present large bag to shuttle them around.

Surely many people here at Head-Fi shuttle their gear back and forth between work and home - how do you do it?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Sep 26, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 18
If anyone's interested, I have an APS Technologies case that was designed for an external hard drive/CD-ROM drive. It's padded with a few extra pockets, and has both a handle and a shoulder strap. It's hardly ever been used, and I was just thinking it would make a nice way to carry headphones. Since I don't use it, I'd be willing to sell it to a Head-Fi'er
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 18
acidtripwow - good idea. I started looking at camera bags before posting my question. There are just too many damn choices! ...but I won't rule this out.

MacDef - thanks for the offer. I'll consider this.

Problem is ... I just don't know what I want yet. Hoping to get some ideas from this thread and jump on whatever 'catches my eye' from the advice everyone offers.

Much appreciated. Let me know if you have other ideas.

I keep on going back to the timbuk2 bags and looking at the 'pork chop' - but it kinda looks like a purse to me and I'm trying to get over that...don't want a purse or a huge backpack either.

Sep 27, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 18
Only one thing I know of that really meets your criteria. A Pelican case (or one of the knock-offs). They are waterproof, impact resistant, and built to last a lifetime. They are used quite a bit by the Military for hauling around sensitive electronics gear. You can run over one with a truck and it will be fine. I believe they also come with a lifetime guarantee. Prices start around $20 and go up to $100 for sizes that will fit headphone gear. I have about 5 different sizes, and they are wonderful. Most of mine cost $25-50.

http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/

-Keith

Sep 27, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 18
keith,

I looked at these after finding them during a search. They look pretty cool but I think I'd really prefer a soft case.

These cases look great but I don't need the indestructo style.

This may sound kinda funny and please don't take this the wrong way but this type of case reminds me of the stereotypical hired assassin transporting a modular sniper rifle to a hit
wink.gif

...ooops - just re-read you sig...'Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line! ' Now I really mean *please don't take this the wrong way*
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input - it is appreciated

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 18
Check out this place. Courier Ware

My friend bought one of their messenger bags and the construction is toprate. Look at their camera bags, etc.

Hope this helps a little. Plus they are in Vermont which is closer to Boston than San Francisco. Not that it matters or anything really. Just thought you'd like to know.

Michael

Sep 27, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 18
How about getting some inexpensive cans like portapros. I pack my slimx and ksc35s in my school bag and leave a waist pack at school. I leave my Grados at home.
For what you want to spend on a transportation device, you are getting awfully close to some inexpensive in the ear buds like the ex70 series and such. At school or when working in the yard, the music is just background sound anyway. I save my critical listening to when I have time to sit back and enjoy.
md

Sep 27, 2002 at 8:54 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by RunsWithScissors
keith,

This may sound kinda funny and please don't take this the wrong way but this type of case reminds me of the stereotypical hired assassin transporting a modular sniper rifle to a hit
wink.gif

...ooops - just re-read you sig...'Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line! ' Now I really mean *please don't take this the wrong way*
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input - it is appreciated

Muhahahah......actually, I count the secret agent/assassin look as a plus, but I guess I can see how some people might not
very_evil_smiley.gif
Pelican cases double as self defense weapons too. Smack someone upside the head with one and they will think twice about messing with you.

I prefer soft cases sometimes too, and many of the suggestions already given have been good. You might want to check out Case Logic's web site for a very large variety of products. A camera or small camcorder bag might fit the bill.

-Keith

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 18
Good info with courierware (Thanks Michael!)- l'll look at them more closely when I get a chance (at work now).

I've also thought about getting some phones strictly for portable use/travel and may do this as a separate action. I mainly got my Beyers for use at work but find I like to use them at home too so shuttling back and forth is where I'm at right now.

**Note to self - never piss off meithkiller!
eek.gif

"I count the secret agent/assassin look as a plus...cases double as self defense weapons too"

This is a sick mind - I happen to like that though
biggrin.gif

I think that these suggestions are great! I am now leaning (back towards what may have been most obvious), namely a case-logic type soft case that may fit the full size Beyer and a little extra stuff (pcdp/cds/amp).

Anyone know of a specific case-logic-type (or camera bag) softcase that will allow the Beyers to fit inside? Beyers are roughly 8"x6"x3".

Great suggestions - thanks to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back