Advice for someone with a number of headphones already
Dec 13, 2007 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheDarkTrumpet

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am contemplating another pair of headphones (again? haha). Right now, here's my set and where I listen to them at, including amps:

Work Setup:
headroom portable amp + A900 closed cans + ipod

Mobile Setup:
iPod + v-moda vibes (no amp)

Home setup:
Headroom Micro Amp (2006) + DT-880 + Dock

Other headphones:
Shure E2Cs and the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 QuietPoint.

I'm looking for buffing up this a bit more on what I have. Mostly in my work setup because the A900s are good, I love them, but for classical music I'm not the most fond with them. Also, since they are closed, ears get uncomfortable after some time.

The types of music I listen to, in order:
- Gaming Music (not exactly the midi stuff, chrono cross soundtrack, etc)
- Soundtracks (More of the classicalish stuff)
- Rock/Alternative (More rock than alternative).

The A900s feel very strong when it comes to rock in my opinion, over classical anyways which is where my DT880s really shine at - but they are home, and I don't want to tote them around too much
smily_headphones1.gif

For bolstering my work setup, I was thinking of getting the HD650, and comparing them to the DT880 and take one of them to work.

Are there any recommendations anyone can make over this plan, or a better complement for headphones?

Thanks

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyoel182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For one thing I'd say replace those Vibes with something better and that would also let you get rid of your Shures.

Agreed

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 17
The Shures I don't use, but yeah, I should sell them. The vibes I use while walking to work, bus, and exercise. Probably use around maybe 30-40m a day. I know they aren't very good, but they are the most convenient to carry (I try to carry as little as possible with me)

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 17
what, no 'stats?

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what, no 'stats?

hmm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
hd650 might be great too depending upon which amp you use with them

At work I use the Total Bithead, at home I use the Headroom Micro Amp. This pair of headphones, not sure where I'd use it right off...not sure if it'll end up at work or at home, if I got the 650s. If I like the sound better than my DT880s while at home, then the DT880s would probably go to work. From what I've read, they are both excellent classical cans, just the DT880s are a little more elevated on the upper end frequencies. Lots of detail, just good for ear fatigue (which I think I just got used to mine)

I appreciate the suggestions from everyone.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkTrumpet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shures I don't use, but yeah, I should sell them. The vibes I use while walking to work, bus, and exercise. Probably use around maybe 30-40m a day. I know they aren't very good, but they are the most convenient to carry (I try to carry as little as possible with me)

Why dont you just carry the Shures with you and sell the Vibes to someone who likes the look and doesnt know they're not great sounding?

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyoel182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why dont you just carry the Shures with you and sell the Vibes to someone who likes the look and doesnt know they're not great sounding?

The largest reason why I don't like the E2Cs is because the drivers are so large, and the size of my ear isn't large enough to hold it for very long. The big reason why I use the v-modas is because they are small enough to easily fit in my ear, and are quite comfortable. I wish the shures fit better
frown.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 17
If the 880 05 are anywhere close to the 990 05s then the 650 will crush them to bits with any genre of music IMO... If you are into an organic music experience. The ad2000s are great that they can be organic, fun and lively at the same time while being forgiving of whatever amp you use with them. Hmm, I havent heard those headroom amps you mentioned but from my experience with older senns like the hd600 and 580s, they love tubes. My 580s sounded great with my berning otl amp with sylvania tubes

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkTrumpet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm?

Why own multiple $300+ dynamic headphones? It's all just variations on the same theme.

brand new, you can get a stax SR-001 MKII system for $240, SRS-2050A for $440. You can get older lambdas and the like for $300ish, SR-X III for $150 (I got mine for $80).

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 17
I read a lot about the AD2000s, and they seem to have extremely high reviews, and forgiving on the amps as well, and good for all types of music instead of just certain types - which is what seems to be my main problem now.

I haven't looked into the stax systems, but that could be an interesting way to go. I'll take a look at those. Is there one of those that you feel is best for the type of music I generally listen to?

Thanks.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 17
Well, you probably won't like the SR-X III. It's very flat (ruler flat!) and analytical - , and the bass is a little rolled off.

Other than that i'm not sure. perhaps a lambda-type system, like the 2050.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back