Advice for my first IEM in the $50-$100 range.
Jul 5, 2008 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Raul

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I have to buy my first IEM, and I want to stay in the $50-$100 range (the lesser the better). I premise that I never listened to a pair of IEM, and my musical preferences are pop/rock (not heavy).
After reading several posts, I restricted my search to these:

- UE Superfi.3
- Denon AH-C351
- Denon AH-C551
- CrossRoad MylarOne X3
- Head-Direct RE-2

Any help to choose from this list is very welcome. Of course other advices or recommendations are welcome too.
Thanks

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 11
If I were you, I'd buy Westone UM1s, they are my favourite low-price IEMs. They may be a little out of your budget but they are worth their price. They are also quite good with both pop and rock music.
Among these you listed I had only UE SF3 and apart from comfort and fit issues they are good purchase, especially considering the price.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 11
I forgot to add that as a player I will get a iPod Nano (3G) 8gb in a few days.

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot to add that as a player I will get a iPod Nano (3G) 8gb in a few days.

I'm in the same boat. I have Ipod classic 160GB. I actually narrow down to UE Super Fi 3 ad Denon AH-C551. They're not much different in price if you look hard enough. Most people talk aobut Super Fi 3 fit.

I like something in between: good bass and treble, good mid.

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 11
After reading nfsu's post I looked for some infos about the Westone UM1's and these seems a good choice too.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by obliquity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in the same boat as well and got the Denon C551. I'm very satisfied! Great sound, build quality...

Just curious, do you use headphone amp with Denon C551? If you do, which brand do you think it works well with Denon ?

thanks.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 11
im716 is good if you don't like bass. Ipod has tendency to have a lower bass output compared to other brands (Cowon D2, etc), so getting a lesser bass earphone will kill the bass even more. I know from my own experience that C551 has a good bass output when paired with Ipod Touch and i don't think there will be much differences between nano and touch. Westone UM1 will be a good choice either, but since i don't have and never try this, i really can't talk much about it. I don't know about SF3, but imo if you want to get UE IEM at least get SF5.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im716 is good if you don't like bass. Ipod has tendency to have a lower bass output compared to other brands (Cowon D2, etc), so getting a lesser bass earphone will kill the bass even more. I know from my own experience that C551 has a good bass output when paired with Ipod Touch and i don't think there will be much differences between nano and touch. Westone UM1 will be a good choice either, but since i don't have and never try this, i really can't talk much about it. I don't know about SF3, but imo if you want to get UE IEM at least get SF5.

how is the built quality on C551? i have Ipod classic, Go-Vibe Petite on order. So now, i need LOD cable ( probably go with Qables) and IEM . So , Denon C551 caught my eyes. I listen to various type of music and I like more bass and punch
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back