Advice for first audiophile headphone
Mar 15, 2014 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

rangersparta

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I have owned my first pair of headphones for a year now, the beats pro's. Yes i know these are overpriced and that's why im here. These had a problem with the channels so i sended them in for warranty and got a brand new sealed box back. Im pretty sure i will be able to sell these just under full retail price, wich leaves me with about 300 euros ( i live in holland ) to get a new set of cans. I had been lurking around on head fi for a while, so im just 98% noob lol. Anyways, i got the beats mainly for durability and bass, so i didnt really care back then. Now im in the market for a good quality set of audiophile grade headphones. But... I have some very specific requirements and i have lost my mind searching for headphones, but have still not been able to find something wich i would be statisfied with. So here im asking for some advice on wich headphones to get. I need headphones wich are :
Durable ( really important )
Have a good amount of tight bass with a lot of impact without bleeding over to the mids too much
Good looking ( subjective i know, but if it looks good out of your pov its okay)
Comfortable ( pleather makes my ears sweat like hell )
Big soundstage and good instrument separation
Removable cable ( preferably nice and thick with a locking mechanism )
At least 50mm drivers
Foldable and/or with protective case
Closed back is needed, but im wondering if im able to take an open back and just slap a metal plate or something on it with some sound isolating material and glue.

Impedance isnt really a problem as im willing to use these with an amp, but im not willing to spend hundreds of euros on an amp. Feel free to recommend an amp too.

If the recommend cans are really good im willing to go over those 300 euros, but not too much ( think 350-400 ) .

Also note that euros are not the same as dollars ( so dont rule out headphones above $300, its actually a lot higher in dollars )

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 47
Hey everyone,

I have owned my first pair of headphones for a year now, the beats pro's. Yes i know these are overpriced and that's why im here. These had a problem with the channels so i sended them in for warranty and got a brand new sealed box back. Im pretty sure i will be able to sell these just under full retail price, wich leaves me with about 300 euros ( i live in holland ) to get a new set of cans. I had been lurking around on head fi for a while, so im just 98% noob lol. Anyways, i got the beats mainly for durability and bass, so i didnt really care back then. Now im in the market for a good quality set of audiophile grade headphones. But... I have some very specific requirements and i have lost my mind searching for headphones, but have still not been able to find something wich i would be statisfied with. So here im asking for some advice on wich headphones to get. I need headphones wich are :
Durable ( really important )
Have a good amount of tight bass with a lot of impact without bleeding over to the mids too much
Good looking ( subjective i know, but if it looks good out of your pov its okay)
Comfortable ( pleather makes my ears sweat like hell )
Big soundstage and good instrument separation
Removable cable ( preferably nice and thick with a locking mechanism )
At least 50mm drivers
Foldable and/or with protective case
Closed back is needed, but im wondering if im able to take an open back and just slap a metal plate or something on it with some sound isolating material and glue.

Impendance isnt really a problem as im willing to use these with an amp, but im not willing to spend hundreds of euros on an amp. Feel free to recommend an amp too.

If the recommend cans are really good im willing to go over those 300 euros, but not too much ( think 350-400 ) .

Also note that euros are not the same as dollars ( so dont rule out headphones above $300, its actually a lot higher in dollars )

No, you can't paste something on the back of an open headphone.

Try the AKG K550. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 47
rpgwizard mentions some good bass heavy headphones in this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651018/xb500-700-alternative

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 47
Mar 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 47
I'm not sure the M100's count as audiophile cans, but if you like bass (meaning, you like thumpy bass, not bloated bass) then the M100s are the creme de la creme under $1000. I practically live in mine. Never take the things off.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 47
M100 is built like a tank to military spec, and folds to a small size, see video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH3H_i09LwE&feature=context-cha

Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gd49nLqZY

Sound wise PRO900 has a heavier bass emphasis, but both are considered bass heavy cans. 

If you own the m100's could you tell me if that v shaped metal thing wich attaches the actual headphones to the headband is sturdy? Because it looks pretty damn fragile.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 47
If you own the m100's could you tell me if that v shaped metal thing wich attaches the actual headphones to the headband is sturdy? Because it looks pretty damn fragile.

Owner checking in. They are WAY sturdier than they look. I agree, on sight the metal seems thin, but in the hands it's about as solid as they get. Honestly the M100s are among the sturdiest feeling headphones I've dealt with. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 47

The V-Moda's have excellent build quality!

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 47
The Pro 900 will have more of a immersive sound effect due to the S Logic technology that Ultrasone uses.

Ultrasone headphones are very solidly made.

The Ultrasones will need an amp to get the most out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back