advice for casual music listener
Jul 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

nick43292

New Head-Fier
Hi, i am in a bit of a bind here. I have purchased Beyedynamic DT 990 600 ohms without doing much research based on their quality. I love how they sound but are very quiet, i have looked into this and learned it is because i do not have an amp. I would like to use these type of headphones without amps. I mainly want to use it to listen to music, movies, and tv shows on my laptop, along with the occasional iphone and ipod usage. I will be entering college and i am also considering getting noise canceling instead of circumaural since the DT 990 seem to let others hear what you are listening to at moderate to high volume. I was wondering would it be better if i return the 600 ohms and get either the 32 or 250 ohm versions or to consider another type of headphone? thanks for your help in advance

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 68
I have the 990/600 and the 770/32 and honestly the 32 ohm 770s aren't much easier to drive.  sure they get a little louder straight out of an ipod but the sound quality is still not full. 
you could probably sell your 990s and pick up a pair of audio technica M50s, or Sony mdr 7506 or Sony  mdr V6, or Shure srh 840 and have money left over.  Any of those will sound nice without an amp(shures would benifit the most from one though).  But heres the rub, if you do power your Beyers they are gonna sound better than any of those i listed even with power(imo).  But the shures will come close.

also you may be able to sell the beyers and get close to enough money for the Shure 940s which are supposed to be VERY nice.

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 68
i still have the 30 day return policy from amazon so i will get my full refund back, im just trying to find something to basically get me through college trying not to disturb me 2 other room mates, but will give me more defination then my 10$ ear canal or laptop speakers themselves, i have tried my friends beat pros but i can see why they are considered the lesser, but i still do like beats i dont know why, i was debating whether or not to get the beats studio versus the beyerdynamic but beyer won

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 68
what do you listen to?
all those i listed are closed headphones.  So they really don't leak sound. 
if you can get full refund(im guessing somewhere around 250$ or more) then make your way over to the Shure srh 940 thread and read the new owners thoughts. 
I can vouch for the cans i listed, with the shure 840s being my favorite, and the 940s are supposed to be even better, but really depends on what you want the sound sig to be.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 68
i mainly listen to techno not so much as dubstep, more along the lines of house, such as deadmau5, dj tiesto, far east movement, etc, as well as some hip-hop, small bit of rap, so i would mainly say house and hip-hop

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 68
probably the M50s then.  But the DT770 Premium 32 with a little amp like the fiio e11 or e7/e9 would be a HUGE upgrade over the m50s. and i can really only recommend what i've heard.  somebody else may be able to give you more options

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 68
Some people despise them.  I don't but they are WAY overpriced.  I'd say they compare somewhat to the M50, neither need power to get bass quanitity.  But i'd take the m50 ANYDAY.  and you'd still have 150$ left over.  And the m50s wont break on you in the first year.

but do yourself a favour.  Find someone with a good reciever or headphone amp and put that quarter inch plug on the 990s and listen to them with power.  It may just turn you. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 68
Denon's are another great choice for closed/bass phones (the 1100 or the 2000). You can't go wrong with the m50, or lower ohm beyer though!
on another note, seriously don't get beats man - aside from heavy bass and messy everything else, they are NOT built to last, guarantee you they would not last college

edit - what does your friend think make the beats better? if he means huge bass that clouds over everything else then yes they are "better"; if he means "better" quality headphone on every other type of measurement then he would be wrong

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 68
i am considering the m50s, but would 32 or even 250 ohm beyer dt 990 sound almost as good as the 600 ohm but be able to run off of an ipod and iphone as well as on my laptop? and im also considering noise canceling, my friend says the best part is the battery driven studios since they dont draw power from the ipod

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 68
Just get the M50s, the battery powered headphones are really annoying.

You have to keep refilling the batteries whereas you can just charge your iPod.

And rechargable batteries sound bad in those headphones.

The M50s will give you decent bass, while being clear.

Just dont expect it to have the same AMOUNT of bass as the beats.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 68
i dont expect it to, im not into extreme bass but i do like a decent kick, so i am deciding to drop beats forever hah, are there any good noise canceling head phones? and if i get the beyerdynamic 32 or 250 ohms would that solve the problem of not having an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back