advice for a rookie
Jun 27, 2005 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

heatbball

New Head-Fier
i found this forum a couple days ago and have been reading up. I am planning to buy some new earphones. i have the sony ex51's and they are very comfortable and sound good to me but i really dont have anything to compare their sound with. i am looking to buy another pair of earphones but my budget is limited, around 20-30 dollars. can i expect to get something reasonable in this range? i have been reading up about the panasonic hje50, the sharp md33 and jvc fx55. im looking for something comfortable that also sounds goood. btw gonna be using them w/ a mp3 player

tia

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 10
i think with your budget at $20-30, you can only upgrade in terms of style. there are quite a few stylish earphones out there for that price. but when it comes to sound quality, that's gonna be hard. i'm not an expert on earphones, but i remember going that route. i bought some stylish sony headphones before my friend showed me this website. and after getting the Shure E3c's, i found so much more into headphones than just looks, and also that they costs so much more as well. but from my opinion, i think its worth the money. (for my E3c's, that is)

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 10
heatbball, I guess it would be helpful if you'd describe what you like about the EX51's sound and in which point you think that another pair could do better. it's very difficult to recommend anything before you explain that a little more.

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 10
If you're interested in clip-ons, Koss KSC75 sound very good for the price. They sound as good if not better than the much-more-expensive Sony MDR-E888LP earbuds. Check out this link to buy -- you can get 'em for $15 shipped. I didn't buy mine from them but others have.

Search the forum for KSC75. It'd be a shame not to consider them at least.

Afterwards, I can't emphasize this enough but do yourself and yours ears a favor by saving up money for a headphone amp. You can get good ones for $50-70. If you've never heard your music through a headphone amp, get ready to be blown away.

And welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry 'bout your wallet. Let the journey begin!

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 10
the panasonic canalphone isnt good enough as an upgrade from the ex51 in my opinion. the md33s is a good upgrade, all those cheap japanese canalphones use the same earsleeves.

you cant buy much for $30 though.

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 10
the ex51s are supercomfortable and they sound much better then the stock earphones that came w/ my mp3 player. i think they sound good to me, but after reading people opinions here it appears that they arent as goood as some other canalphones that cost around the same. i want/need to buy another pair of earphones so should i buy another ex51 or go for one of the other earphones i mentioned?

i looked at KSC75 but they dont appear to be very comfortable for prolonged usage at work?

thanks

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatbball
i looked at KSC75 but they dont appear to be very comfortable for prolonged usage at work?

I use the KSC75 in long spurts (over an hour at a time) in my office throughout the day and I've had no comfort problems. I even wear eyeglasses. You can bend the hooks for a better fit if they're too tight.

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 10
I've not heard the JVCs or Sharps, but I can say that the HJE50 is a major improvement over my old EX71s, in fact I'm contemplating getting another pair and just using the E2Cs when I need even more isolation, they really did sound that good to me - not greatly detailed, but balanced across the spectrum and beautifully transparent.

I will be picking up a pair of KSC-75s to try out soon, though, as they're useful in other circumstances...

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

the ex51s are supercomfortable and they sound much better then the stock earphones that came w/ my mp3 player. i think they sound good to me, but after reading people opinions here it appears that they arent as goood as some other canalphones that cost around the same. i want/need to buy another pair of earphones so should i buy another ex51 or go for one of the other earphones i mentioned?

my first "better" phones were also the ex51, and I purchased both the MD33 and the EP630 afterwards. they are definitely an upgrade! you can also mod them very easily if you're not satisfied with their sound. so I would strongly recommend them!

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

i found this forum a couple days ago
tia

Seems like no one has said it yet so here goes-Welcome and our sincerest condolences about your wallet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back