Advice for a couple of set of IEMs for a beginner wanting to know the basics
Nov 10, 2020 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to high-fidelity music, and things like resolution, sound stage and instrument separation are alien to me. However, I am really interested to know about the subtleties. I am looking for a few IEMs or portable headphones that will give me a taste of what I am missing.

What I have and what I like:
  • I have Sony WF XB-700. I like the bass, but they are not really precise. Not good for acoustic songs, folks or bluegrass music. On the other hand, I like it for pop songs.
  • Now, Jay's M5 and Jay's X5. Both decent. Clean. But it feels a bit... bland. I can't put it in words, but they just feel a bit flat. But they feel really comfy for longer sessions.
  • Finally, Beyerdynamic Byrd. Inexpensive, and okayish. Still too much bass.
I like a bit of a bass, but it becomes annoying when the bass eclipses everything else. For example, if I am watching a movie, and the actor is talking and there is an explosion in the background, I would not want the bass to overpower the dialogs in the foreground.

A very easy example is the song "Far from Any Road" by The Handsome Family. Bass heavy headphones mask the voice, which I hate. On the other hand, I like the extra thump in songs like Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit". However, in songs like "A thousand kisses deep" by Cohen, when the bass shows up, I feel like it takes away from the mood Cohen was trying to portray. I know EQ tuning might take care of these ranging problems, but some headphones sound really unnatural when the bass is toned down, like Sony XB series headphones and earphones.

Also, I have problem with sibilance. Plosives I can live with. But those sharp 'S' sounds make my brain hurt. Cymbal crashes are fine, but the problem starts when I watch a lecture of someone who is using the mic without windscreen, or a tennis or table tennis match. Those knocking sound of the balls sometimes feel a bit too sharp and makes me blink with some headphones.

Also, background hiss is something I absolutely can't stand. I tried Soundcore Liberty (forgot which exact model), but it had a background hiss which I couldn't hear while playing music, but still, my OCD kicked in, and I spent more time looking for the hiss instead of listening to the music.

My use cases:
In short, everything.
I listen to classical compositions like Tchaikovsky, Paganini, Schubert, Vivaldi, songs of various genre, including Jazz, Country, Pop, Folk. I also like to listen to mellow music like Coffeehouse Acoustics.
I also watch movies.
I also have to listen to lectures and I record lectures and need a monitor for that. I use Audio Technica ATR2100 for recording with Focusrite Scarlett (if that information helps), and I currently use the Beyerdynamic Beat Byrd for monitoring.

What I want:
I am looking for maybe a couple of IEMs or portable headphones that will give me a decent starting point. I understand that some IEMs or headphones might be better for bass, and some for treble. There is no jack-of-all-trades. I have already ordered a BLON BL01. I would like to get two more sets. I have heard a lot about Fiio, and I considered FD1, but that is $80 where I live (India). Jade Audio is not available unfortunately, so it's not possible for me to get EA1. Tin T2 + and KZ series are available on AliExpress, and I can get them on 11.11 sale. Finally, HiFiMan RE-400 is available at about $27. NF Audio NA2 is available at $88 on Shenzhen Audio.
I have scoured the reviews for IEMs, and there seems to be way too many. Fiio FD1, CVJ CSA, Blon, T2, even the little pricey NF Audio NA2.
My budget is about $110. I want two IEMs that, when combined, should be able to cover the basics. I hope I have explained what I need.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 8
@baskingshark is the right guy to help you :wink:
Additionally, maybe consider a Dongle-DAC/Amp, it does make a difference. Tempotec Sonata Pro is cheap on Aliexpress and sounds decent.

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 8
My wife is using the BTR3, I think the Sonata Pro sounds better, but the BTR3 is more convenient with the BT connection.
One point to consider, if you are using iPhone, the BT connection is limited by the Apple BT hardware, and that really limits the SQ the BTR3 can produce. With Android I think the BT Dongles are a very convenient solution.

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to high-fidelity music, and things like resolution, sound stage and instrument separation are alien to me. However, I am really interested to know about the subtleties. I am looking for a few IEMs or portable headphones that will give me a taste of what I am missing.

What I have and what I like:
  • I have Sony WF XB-700. I like the bass, but they are not really precise. Not good for acoustic songs, folks or bluegrass music. On the other hand, I like it for pop songs.
  • Now, Jay's M5 and Jay's X5. Both decent. Clean. But it feels a bit... bland. I can't put it in words, but they just feel a bit flat. But they feel really comfy for longer sessions.
  • Finally, Beyerdynamic Byrd. Inexpensive, and okayish. Still too much bass.
I like a bit of a bass, but it becomes annoying when the bass eclipses everything else. For example, if I am watching a movie, and the actor is talking and there is an explosion in the background, I would not want the bass to overpower the dialogs in the foreground.

A very easy example is the song "Far from Any Road" by The Handsome Family. Bass heavy headphones mask the voice, which I hate. On the other hand, I like the extra thump in songs like Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit". However, in songs like "A thousand kisses deep" by Cohen, when the bass shows up, I feel like it takes away from the mood Cohen was trying to portray. I know EQ tuning might take care of these ranging problems, but some headphones sound really unnatural when the bass is toned down, like Sony XB series headphones and earphones.

Also, I have problem with sibilance. Plosives I can live with. But those sharp 'S' sounds make my brain hurt. Cymbal crashes are fine, but the problem starts when I watch a lecture of someone who is using the mic without windscreen, or a tennis or table tennis match. Those knocking sound of the balls sometimes feel a bit too sharp and makes me blink with some headphones.

Also, background hiss is something I absolutely can't stand. I tried Soundcore Liberty (forgot which exact model), but it had a background hiss which I couldn't hear while playing music, but still, my OCD kicked in, and I spent more time looking for the hiss instead of listening to the music.

My use cases:
In short, everything.
I listen to classical compositions like Tchaikovsky, Paganini, Schubert, Vivaldi, songs of various genre, including Jazz, Country, Pop, Folk. I also like to listen to mellow music like Coffeehouse Acoustics.
I also watch movies.
I also have to listen to lectures and I record lectures and need a monitor for that. I use Audio Technica ATR2100 for recording with Focusrite Scarlett (if that information helps), and I currently use the Beyerdynamic Beat Byrd for monitoring.

What I want:
I am looking for maybe a couple of IEMs or portable headphones that will give me a decent starting point. I understand that some IEMs or headphones might be better for bass, and some for treble. There is no jack-of-all-trades. I have already ordered a BLON BL01. I would like to get two more sets. I have heard a lot about Fiio, and I considered FD1, but that is $80 where I live (India). Jade Audio is not available unfortunately, so it's not possible for me to get EA1. Tin T2 + and KZ series are available on AliExpress, and I can get them on 11.11 sale. Finally, HiFiMan RE-400 is available at about $27. NF Audio NA2 is available at $88 on Shenzhen Audio.
I have scoured the reviews for IEMs, and there seems to be way too many. Fiio FD1, CVJ CSA, Blon, T2, even the little pricey NF Audio NA2.
My budget is about $110. I want two IEMs that, when combined, should be able to cover the basics. I hope I have explained what I need.

I think u can consider a sub $50 single DD set for your first IEM, the budget DD (Dynamic driver) types generally have good timbre and tonality, but they are not the best at technical performance compared to multi driver BA/hybrid types. These single DD types will be good for genres that incorporate more acoustic instruments eg classical, jazz, acoustic.
Some notable budget single DD sets could be:

1) iBasso IT00 $69 usd - U shaped good timbre and technicalities. Has driver flex though.

2) BLON BL03 $23 usd - harmanish with mid bass bump. Very good tonality and timbre for the price. But not the best technicalities and the mid bass has a bloat. The stock tips are not the best fitting so most spend a bit to get aftermarket eartips with longer nozzles or aftermarket eartips.

3) BLON BL05S $42 usd - mild V shaped. This is not the non S version. Better fit and technicalities than BL03 above and fixes the midbass bleed. Awful colour though.

4) Tin HIFI T2 plus $40ish usd. Not the original Tin T2 or Pro version but the plus version. U shaped good timbre and tonality. Not the best technicalities but very non offensive tuning. Mmcx qc issues reported so best to buy from amazon or someplace with good returns policy.

5) Final Audio E3000 $40 usd - v shaped warm bassy set. Non detachable cable, very smooth and non fatiguing. One of the best soundstages and imaging at sub $50. Treble a bit dark and midbass is slow. Needs amping, sounds meh from a low powered source.

6) HZSound Heart Mirror $40ish usd - neutralish bright set, very good transients and technicalities. Excellent timbre. Soundstage not the best and note weight a bit thin. Also needs amping. It has great forward vocals without being harsh, superb set for vocals.

7) KBEAR Diamond $70usd - V shaped good technicalities and timbre. Near bass head levels. Some may find the mids a bit too recessed but it is good for bass heavy music.

Then u can consider as a second set, a sub $50 USD multi BA/hybrid set. At the budget segment, they generally have better technical performance than the single DD types, but they may have timbre/crossover and/or coherency issues. Maybe these sets will be good for more complex music or technical stuff. For multi driver types, you can check out some of the latest TRN/KZ/CCA releases. They release IEMs on an almost monthly basis so whatever is recommended may even be obsolete in a few weeks time! I'm more of a single DD person, so I haven't really bought most of the newer multi BA/hybrid releases, but u can ask the rest in these threads:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/trn-impressions-thread.881761/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

Good luck in your search.

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 8
I think u can consider a sub $50 single DD set for your first IEM, the budget DD (Dynamic driver) types generally have good timbre and tonality, but they are not the best at technical performance compared to multi driver BA/hybrid types. These single DD types will be good for genres that incorporate more acoustic instruments eg classical, jazz, acoustic.
Some notable budget single DD sets could be:

1) iBasso IT00 $69 usd - U shaped good timbre and technicalities. Has driver flex though.

2) BLON BL03 $23 usd - harmanish with mid bass bump. Very good tonality and timbre for the price. But not the best technicalities and the mid bass has a bloat. The stock tips are not the best fitting so most spend a bit to get aftermarket eartips with longer nozzles or aftermarket eartips.

3) BLON BL05S $42 usd - mild V shaped. This is not the non S version. Better fit and technicalities than BL03 above and fixes the midbass bleed. Awful colour though.

4) Tin HIFI T2 plus $40ish usd. Not the original Tin T2 or Pro version but the plus version. U shaped good timbre and tonality. Not the best technicalities but very non offensive tuning. Mmcx qc issues reported so best to buy from amazon or someplace with good returns policy.

5) Final Audio E3000 $40 usd - v shaped warm bassy set. Non detachable cable, very smooth and non fatiguing. One of the best soundstages and imaging at sub $50. Treble a bit dark and midbass is slow. Needs amping, sounds meh from a low powered source.

6) HZSound Heart Mirror $40ish usd - neutralish bright set, very good transients and technicalities. Excellent timbre. Soundstage not the best and note weight a bit thin. Also needs amping. It has great forward vocals without being harsh, superb set for vocals.

7) KBEAR Diamond $70usd - V shaped good technicalities and timbre. Near bass head levels. Some may find the mids a bit too recessed but it is good for bass heavy music.

Then u can consider as a second set, a sub $50 USD multi BA/hybrid set. At the budget segment, they generally have better technical performance than the single DD types, but they may have timbre/crossover and/or coherency issues. Maybe these sets will be good for more complex music or technical stuff. For multi driver types, you can check out some of the latest TRN/KZ/CCA releases. They release IEMs on an almost monthly basis so whatever is recommended may even be obsolete in a few weeks time! I'm more of a single DD person, so I haven't really bought most of the newer multi BA/hybrid releases, but u can ask the rest in these threads:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/trn-impressions-thread.881761/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for taking the time to write up a precise list of suggestions.

How is NF Audio NA2 for the premium option?

For the second set, I am torn between Fiio FD1 (Jane Audio isn't available here unfortunately), T2+, and Moondrop SSR. Basically, anything within that $50 - 55 range. I initially thought of getting the BLON BL03, but it recently has gotten an update in the shape of BL01. Unfortunately, reviews are yet to come for BL01, so it is difficult for me to blindly go for it.

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for taking the time to write up a precise list of suggestions.

How is NF Audio NA2 for the premium option?

For the second set, I am torn between Fiio FD1 (Jane Audio isn't available here unfortunately), T2+, and Moondrop SSR. Basically, anything within that $50 - 55 range. I initially thought of getting the BLON BL03, but it recently has gotten an update in the shape of BL01. Unfortunately, reviews are yet to come for BL01, so it is difficult for me to blindly go for it.

Haven't tried the NA2 TBH, but it has good reviews. There's a newer NF Audio product called the NM2+ which has rave reviews, apparently very technical and neutralish bright.

Tin T2+ is very non offensive, good timbre/tonality, but only average in technicalities. QC issues aside, I find it lacks a bit in dynamics and can get boring.
Haven't tried Fiio FD1, but apparently it is the same as the cheaper Jade Audio EA1, so if u can get the latter somehow, it is cheaper.
Moondrop SSR is very polarizing, I don't like it personally as the 3 Khz region is very harsh, especially at louder volumes (fletcher munson curve). It has great technicalities and timbre. Most people who like the Moondrop SSR use it a low volumes, but just pumping up the volume a bit, I get ice picks from the 3 Khz area, dealbreaker for me. YMMV though.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 8
Haven't tried the NA2 TBH, but it has good reviews. There's a newer NF Audio product called the NM2+ which has rave reviews, apparently very technical and neutralish bright.

Tin T2+ is very non offensive, good timbre/tonality, but only average in technicalities. QC issues aside, I find it lacks a bit in dynamics and can get boring.
Haven't tried Fiio FD1, but apparently it is the same as the cheaper Jade Audio EA1, so if u can get the latter somehow, it is cheaper.
Moondrop SSR is very polarizing, I don't like it personally as the 3 Khz region is very harsh, especially at louder volumes (fletcher munson curve). It has great technicalities and timbre. Most people who like the Moondrop SSR use it a low volumes, but just pumping up the volume a bit, I get ice picks from the 3 Khz area, dealbreaker for me. YMMV though.

Jade Audio products aren't available here unfortunately. My options are limited to FD1 and Tin T2+. The new BLON BL01 which is an update to BL03 is also interesting, but there seems to be no reviews of it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back