advice: Checked out the k701, HD650, K501, and k271S Today, But I need closed cans...
Mar 8, 2006 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drivel

100+ Head-Fier
I stopped by a local store today and tried out a few cans the AKG K701, K501 K271S, and a Senn HD650.

I went by really just to check out the k271S because I'm in need of some new closed cans. My HD280's weren't doing it for me. I went ahead and tried out the open cans to see what I was missing. I happen to be really sensitive to upper mids or lower highs, there's just someting that bothers me about any peaks in these areas.

Some of my impressions are as follows (please note this was a very brief audition and to be taken with a grain of salt) I was most impressed by the HD650's They have a sound that I think I could really enjoy. The K501's were also really nice. Actually if they had some more bass (quantity not quality) and were sealed, i could probably get them and never look back. I guess that the K701's weren't really burnt in yet because they were actually my third favorite can I tried out. the k271's were of course my least favorite and rightfully so.

So now i am in the hunt for a set of closed cans with a similar sound to the HD650's or the K501's with a bit more bass. I'm considering:

DT770/80 or 250 (I actually tried the 80ohm version out recently and though the frequency response is v shaped the highs didn't bother me, (maybe because of the Bass
confused.gif
I liked them more than the k271S

DT250/80 or 250

HD580 with a woody mod (How does the sound get affected by closing it and how much do they leak?)

Ultrasone HFI-550 (added: Thanks Skrying)

My source will be AV710 > firestone cute or Shellbrook maxi moy > some closed headphone.

I realize that this is a really long read so thank you to those who can bare with me and offer suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Have you thought Ultrasone's? My HFi-550 have very pleasent bass, very under controll but nice and punchy and can get waaaaaaaaay down there. They also dont peaks in the highs or upper mids. I really enjoy them, great closed can.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
The only useful thing I can say is that a woodied 580/600/650 really isn't a closed headphone - it still leaks almost as much as before. It'd done for sonic reasons rather than isolation.

hmm, well shucks I was kind of hoping that would be the answer to my question, Thanks Though. I feel so limited with closed headphone options.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
Have you thought Ultrasone's? My HFi-550 have very pleasent bass, very under controll but nice and punchy and can get waaaaaaaaay down there. They also dont peaks in the highs or upper mids. I really enjoy them, great closed can.

I tried them out at Sam ash, but they have a bunch of headphones hooked together to who knows what. I didn't feel I could get a sense of what they really sound like. I will definately go and check them out and see if I can get them detached from the rest of the others.

Thanks the more options the better! I'll add it to my list
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back