[ ADVICE ] Bass heavy IEM under 300$, with additional requirements
Aug 12, 2012 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cron Merdek

New Head-Fier
Dear All, I am recently gave back to the store my Philips Fidelio M1, and decided to give up my attempts to find out comfortable supra aural headphones. Thus, now I am looking for IEM with dynamic driver preferably.

As for now I have Creative EP-630 (and happy with bass), Brainwavz M2 (not happy with them) Denon R560 solded recently because of inability to play very low bass and other full-sized such as DT990, DT770.

My main concern about IEM is the heavy cable with microphonic. I love my EP-630 because they are very light and have no microphonic at all. 

What I am looking for?

1) IEM
2) <= ~300$
3) Drop-down wear style (essential, I do not consider over-ear design :frowning2: )
4) Great bass and very good highs. Neutral response is preferable, but iem has to be able to play really low bass.
5) Very light-weight ( Thus, IEM doesn't fall out of my ear every 3-4 minutes ) with light cable as well
6) No microphonics ( I am trying the get rid of shirt clip)
7) Efficiency, to drive them without portable amp
8) Source - iPhone 4S, ALAC

I really need your help, because I am completely tired of looking :frowning2:
I have found MDR-XB90EX, but I am trying to avoid shipping from any other places except Amazon, because I live in Switzerland and here you will pay custom taxes around 60$ for any piece of equipment with price range higher than 55$. Amazon manages to avoid it.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 16
The GR07, Klipsch Image X10 offers great bass response and very detaied mids, highs (also fairly wide soundstage).

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 16
I would actually have to highly recommend the JVC FXD80, for a few reasons:

- Bass detail and authority is outstanding (second only to the Atrio M5 to my ears and ahead of the GR07). Highs are also knife edge clean. They are more V-shaped than neutral, but since they are so clear and with lightning fast transients, you might not miss it.
- They have a neat little strain relief design which means that wearing them down has very low microphonics. Again, best in class in my experience.
- The earpieces are very light and small, but because they are made of stainless steel they are also (seemingly) very durable. 
- Works great out of an iPhone
- Lastly: they are about $100 after shipping!

Don't let the price fool you - though they aren't the most neutral IEM's out there, their technical ability puts them toe to toe with IEM's many, many times their price. (Even the AKG 3003 :wink: )

Now unfortunately because they are currently only available in Japan, you'd probably have to import them using Tenso or get them from eBay. But really, they are worth the effort.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612299/jvcs-micro-hd-line-revamped-for-2012-ha-fxd80-70-60

^^ Have a look at this thread if you are interested :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 16
Sorry about to reffer with other model and now i change with the right model i recommend.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
The GR07, Klipsch Image X10 offers great bass response and very detaied mids, highs (also fairly wide soundstage).

If you read the whole post by the OP, you'd realize the request was for IEM's which are worn with cable down. The GR07 can only be worn over the ears. Also, I would not consider them bass heavy by any means. Have you actually used or heard them? Sure doesn't seem so.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 16
You ask too many questions and not recommending any IEMs (iam not here to answer your all questions). Too me GR07 are balanced but bass is deep and punchy.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 16
It sort of depends. The OP is both asking for "neutral" and "bass heavy", which is a little unclear. I'd side with the idea that the OP wants something that isn't muddy or dramatically off kilter, and the GR07 would fit that bill in terms of sound. I think the FXD80 does it even better though :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
You ask too many questions and not recommending any IEMs (iam not here to answer your all questions). Too me GR07 are balanced but bass is deep and punchy.

I ask questions because I doubt you own or have actually heard any of the IEM's you continually spout off as your 'recommendations'. It could be highly misleading to potential owners to suggest gear you don't have any personal experience with.

So I'll ask you another question... Do you own the GR07, or have actually heard it for yourself? Or are you just regurgitating information you've read about them (sorry, that was two more questions)? Please enlighten.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 16
yamaha eph 100 is perfect fit for all your points ....

1)  IEM - Yes
2) <= ~300$ -  <150$
3) Drop-down wear style (essential, I do not consider over-ear design :frowning2: ) - yes
4) Great bass and very good highs. Neutral response is preferable, but iem has to be able to play really low bass. - Exactly as you want
5) Very light-weight ( Thus, IEM doesn't fall out of my ear every 3-4 minutes ) with light cable as well - Yes
6) No microphonics ( I am trying the get rid of shirt clip) - True
7) Efficiency, to drive them without portable amp - True 16 ohms
8) Source - iPhone 4S, ALAC - No problem

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

If you read the whole post by the OP, you'd realize the request was for IEM's which are worn with cable down. The GR07 can only be worn over the ears. Also, I would not consider them bass heavy by any means. Have you actually used or heard them? Sure doesn't seem so.

I use my GR07s with the cable worn  down all the time.    I find the bass clean and precise (there is some punch there too), but the thread creator's mileage may vary. 

Edit:  I use them with the cable down when I'm sitting down.  They will fall out easily (at least easier than when used over the ear) when worn this way.  They are designed to be worn over the ear.    I like them cable down because it is easier to insert and they  feel more comfortable.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I use my GR07s with the cable worn  down all the time.    I find the bass clean and precise (there is some punch there too), but the thread creator's mileage may vary. 

Edit:  I use them with the cable down when I'm sitting down.  They will fall out easily (at least easier than when used over the ear) when worn this way.  They are designed to be worn over the ear.    I like them cable down because it is easier to insert and they  feel more comfortable.

Fair point, if they work for you cable down! 
biggrin.gif
  I was going to suggest the monster turbine pro line (gold/copper), but then I remembered the OP wants lightweight (presumably which would resist falling out because of weight), and they are rather heavy for earphones. Perhaps a second-hand pair of JVC FX-700's... But they're a little north of $300 at retail, and their mids are slightly pulled back, so not totally neutral outside of the bass.... Hmmmm, choices.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for advice, but unfortunately It will probably not work for me.
I have full-sized headphones at the workplace where I am siting, but do not have any good portable sound, thus I will need non-falling earphones while on the move.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
yamaha eph 100 is perfect fit for all your points ....

1)  IEM - Yes
2) <= ~300$ -  <150$
3) Drop-down wear style (essential, I do not consider over-ear design :frowning2: ) - yes
4) Great bass and very good highs. Neutral response is preferable, but iem has to be able to play really low bass. - Exactly as you want
5) Very light-weight ( Thus, IEM doesn't fall out of my ear every 3-4 minutes ) with light cable as well - Yes
6) No microphonics ( I am trying the get rid of shirt clip) - True
7) Efficiency, to drive them without portable amp - True 16 ohms
8) Source - iPhone 4S, ALAC - No problem

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100

Thanks for the suggestion! Did you wear them? Are there really no microphonics?
Do you know where I can buy them?
They became recently unavailable on Amazon.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back