Adventures in Binaural Sound....
Jul 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox

​
As many of you might remember, I have always had a curiosity about binaural sound. Most of all, I love the DIY aspect of minimalist microphone techniques, binaural and holophonic being my favorite techniques. In the past months I have made and tested several recording microphones, ranging from simple to complex. Today, I finally succeeded in making an accurate dummy head with full three dimensional accuracy. It's not 100% perfect, but it's 90% there. It has great imaging, great height imaging and great front-to-back imaging. Why am I so excited? Well, because most dummy heads fail in regards to height imaging and front-to-back imaging. There have been some which can reproduce these imaging properties rather well, such as the Neumann KU100 pictured above but my dummy head cost me exactly $8.00 not including the electronics and microphones. Add in some cheap microphones and the total cost runs into an expensive $16.00!!!!!

I won't go into how to make your own....you can do that yourselves and the research and hands on approach is half the fun. My design, as far as I know, is completely unique and produces excellent results. I have tentatively named my dummy head - "D-1". I put together D-1 in about 20 minutes. Here is what he can record:

The typical shaker test..Left(up/down), Right (up/down), Walking from left to right, Over the head left to right, Over the head, front to back:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f800wh

Outside, mid-day recording near where I live. You can hear the traffic, the kid in the pool and air conditioning equipment as well as some birds and other people:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/szjb8m

Not perfect but almost there! Then again, for something that cost me less than $20.00 USD, it's not bad at all. The only negative aspect of D-1 is that he is strictly headphone compatible. While the results are great on headphones, the results are average on speakers. However, this is a problem ALL dummy heads have. The compromise would be a slightly directional holophonic microphone but that is a whole 'nother topic.

So...if I'm not teaching you how to make one or what the unique aspect of the design is...why I am posting this?? Well...I hope that some of you guys and gals will see that recording on the cheap is possible and that you don't need a lot of money to make your own binaural recordings.

Hopefully, I can create a windscreen for D-1 and take him along to record some nature sounds soon. Stay tuned......

EDIT...For those who are curious...Recording chain was D-1 Dummy Head -> Griffin iTalk -> iPod

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 3
Cool post. The track could use a bit more action, but was interesting to hear nonetheless.

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Cool post. The track could use a bit more action, but was interesting to hear nonetheless.

Thanks. I know it's lacking in action but it really was only a test...a test I have done probably 8 or 9 dozen times just this past month.

I have finally settled on a preliminary design with all of my design elements and requirements. I have tested it tonight and it sounds very, very promising. I'll be doing more test recording with it soon, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back