Advantages of having only one pair
Nov 11, 2008 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Shoewreck

500+ Head-Fier
Hope I won't get banned here for this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

1) Price - jou just get one pair and don't have to buy any more. Or just go straight to HE90.

2) You adjust to a given sonic signature - no more lack of detail (you're just unaware of any detail that can be lost), no more lack of or bloated bass (you adjust to the amount bas you have).

3) You don't have to switch between headphones for different music.

4) You save your living space.

Of course, the single pair should be a decent one.

Could you name any more?

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 18
...... you don't have the hide your 2nd, 3rd and 4th pairs and pretend you only one set, 'but they have always looked like this'!

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 18
disadvantages of only one pair:

what to do with your money? (unless you go the HE90 route)
some music does sound better with another can
you can't impress other people with the amount of headphones you have
no headphone is perfect
if you break the only one you're out of headphones

tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 18
* You only need one amplifier. The "perfect" one for that exact headphone.
* No spare headphone if it breaks. Then you're left in silence for days...

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...... you don't have the hide your 2nd, 3rd and 4th pairs and pretend you only one set, 'but they have always looked like this'!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
+1

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 18
You sit back and enjoy the sound coming from your headphone. And not wondering how this song would sound with the other cans, and switching to find out.
Sometimes it can be very relaxing that you don't have to choose....

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 18
Funny, right now I'm listening to the SR-80 straight out of my computer DVD drive and thinking to myself: "I could be content with this set-up--with this one pair of relatively inexpensive headphones--indefinitely!"

Upgrading heightens one's level(s) of expectation; and with heightened levels of expectation come more pronounced levels of disappointment.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 18
Only one pair only makes sense if you are a casual HP listener and/or if your genre bandwidth isn't very distictive. I also dream of a perfect allrounder (the DT531 and the modded MS Pro come close), but this dream hasn't come true until now.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

with heightened levels of expectation come more pronounced levels of disappointment

Sad, sometimes painful (to both wallet and ego) but oh so true.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 18
[size=small]It's a very fair proposition. I too would prefer to adapt a minimalist approach to phones, although I doubt I can be restricted to just one. Even if a "perfect headphone" existed, I would want at least one backup.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back