Advanced AcousticWerkes W900 Hybrid Flagship Thread
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #317 of 339
Sigh .... this whole drama with a legitimately fantastic IEM is just kinda sad. I really feel sorry at the efforts made from AAW to make things right ; and then on the flip side of the coin you have bvng3540 trying to flip the initial w900 hung031086 had and now this ....

I really hope no one from AAW reads this. If they do , I can only hope that this whole fiasco does not in any way make them reconsider their initial efforts on this whole damn thing for future customers ....

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #318 of 339
Decided to run by a few experiments with the W900: precise equalisation with the use of FR curves. After a few weeks of trial and error (further delayed by my laziness) I think the results are ab-solutely incredible.

Using measurements from my DIY setup (link in my sig) I was able to isolate the peaks, dips and spikes, and sort of "clean up" the W900 with the specific targeting of particular frequencies and modifying Q-values for refinement.

Raw
fSSDiv7.png

Equalized
hrlJO6S.png

Here's what the "special sauce" does subjectively:
  • Increases treble sparkle but maintaining the W900's signature treble control
  • Boosts airiness
  • Removes the slight nasally quality of the vocals that is apparent next to reference monitors
  • Improves bass-midrange separation
  • Reduces note weight
HOWEVER, due to the methodology used to create this EQ profile, what I experienced may differ from person to person due to a number of variances (unit variance, custom vs universal, insert depth etc.). At any case, I'm confident that anyone would find an improvement; just A/B with & without and tell me what you think.

Download link here. To be used with the Peace GUI on EqualizerAPO. Or if you're using a separate program, a screenshot:

My own special sauce equaliser, Version 2. Now purely subtractive just to eliminate any chance of distortion or clipping (even though the above was made with pre-gain already in mind).

w900eqv2.PNG

Values:
  • 200Hz -5dB, Q-value 0.1
  • 5500Hz -5dB, Q-value 9
  • 6250Hz -5dB, Q-value 9

The results (red is post-EQ):

EQv3.png

Essentially, the EQ hits what is more-or-less my target curve while minimizing "damage" to the W900's innate tuning.

In case anyone asks, my target curve is:
  • Bass boost of about 5dB rising from 300Hz-ish (assuming hybrid)
  • Gradual rise from 500Hz, ending at +5dB at 2000Hz
  • 2000Hz hump ending at around 3000-4000Hz
  • Flat (treble = SPL at 500Hz) from 5000Hz upward

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #319 of 339
I've got 2 questions for the thread. First has anyone had time with a good He-6 rig? im considering from moving from my awesome Audio-gd NOS-11 desktop rig to in-ears as i would get more use from something portable. I really like the signature of my current rig and based on descriptions the w900 sounds like the iem equivalent. Any opinions on this matter would be welcome.

Secondly. Do the owners of the universal have issues with tips sliding of the nozzle? There appears to be no lip for texture on the nozzle, it reminds me of my DN-2000 which constantly lost their tips as i take them out (until i cut deep scratches with a file)

thanks in advance!

edit: Will be playing from and a&k kann for the time being, not sure how i feel about the bringing the brick back. but i did have a giant ZUNE over a decade ago.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #320 of 339
Recently spent some time with @cskippy 's HE6 rig and can say that there are definitely key similarities. That tactile feeling to the SQ is definitely present in both. They both are unique in their bass presentation. I would have to wait for the tour units to return, but don't remember having tip issues. If I remember right, the nozzle is large so it was tough to add tips, but the felt permanent after installation. Just me, but if I was going to buy one, I would go for the custom to get the best seal as it effects the bass presentation which is the best part.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #323 of 339
Just see from aaw website. Universal W900 now going for SGD1, 999 only. But custom still retail at SGD2, 849. Is this new price for universal means that custom w900 is much better than universal in term of sound or anything else that i dont know?

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #324 of 339
Just see from aaw website. Universal W900 now going for SGD1, 999 only. But custom still retail at SGD2, 849. Is this new price for universal means that custom w900 is much better than universal in term of sound or anything else that i dont know?
I guess mass produced vs hand made shells

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #325 of 339
Is there a new "tuning" for the W900 since it's first release and now, for Universal models come with metal tip?

If so, wondering if anyone have impressions to share between the two? In particular, handling of timbre?

Chance also on this review of 64 Audio A12t (vs W900 at Page 5):-

https://www.headfonia.com/review-64-audio-a12t/5/https://www.headfonia.com/review-64-audio-a12t/5/

Quote : "I saw that they have introduced an updated version of it at CanJam Singapore. This one is of course the first generation."

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #326 of 339
I read somewhere that someone tried the new update of AW900 at Canjam. Their Instagram also says AW900 have better new stock cable.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #328 of 339
Having a universal w900, I wonder the DAP which would be the best to pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back