Advanced AcousticWerkes partners with Null-Audio for new line of low cost CIEMs, including hybrids
Nov 25, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #226 of 474
So today I spent a good few hours listening to my W500 and I just could not help but feel something was off about the sound. Mid bass was good but sub bass extension was not quite as strong as mentioned in the reviews. Mids were not as thick and treble seemed to be quite present and forward. Most importantly, imaging was screwed up. Left right separation was okay but centre image was weird and way too diffused, like someone had turned on some heavy duty surround sound DSP. 

I was beginning to suspect polarity issues in the cable so off I went online to do some polarity check and voila, the test results were totally off. Switched my cable to an old spare I had lying around and my jaw just dropped to the floor. That glorious, gut wrenching sub bass. Wow.

As it turns out, my W500 cable was faulty right out of the box. No loose connection or anything, just polarity issue which for some reason did not resolve even when I flipped the connection direction. I wonder how this escaped quality control. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #227 of 474

As it turns out, my W500 cable was faulty right out of the box. No loose connection or anything, just polarity issue which for some reason did not resolve even when I flipped the connection direction. I wonder how this escaped quality control. 

Sad to hear that, but it covered with warranty, right? Can you write small comparison with Hybrid Sony XBA-A3? In term of bass/treble how much is better? 
biggrin.gif

I like my Sony XBA-H3 a lot.

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on the A3H Pro vs the W100? I see the W100 is on sale on Null Audio which makes them the same price as the A3H on Massdrop. However they have the added advantage of having the order finalised quicker than waiting for the drop to end. I listen to ambient/chill music so decent bass and a wide soundstage would be great.

I'm looking at still keeping them portable so still driving them from a smartphone/macbook etc. This will be my first foray into CIEMs so any advice would be awesome.

I think they both can be driven by smartphone/macbook, but about which is better for you should definitely try to ask it from AAW via Facebook page or email.

As I know about W100:
W100 (Singapore Dollar $599; $479 USD): W100 Reference Proprietary 9mm Full Range Dynamic Driver

The lower-end of the lineup starts off impressively with good clarity, respectable detail level, and overall impressive spatial qualities.  The sound is warm and powerful while retaining the midrange and treble regions...

from here: http://theheadphonelist.com/demo-impressions-advanced-acousticwerkes-muskier-and-meister-lines-w500-ah-morph/

And A3H Pro should be same as old A3H but with just a little better and forward mids and vocals.

some review of old A3H: http://www.head-fi.org/products/advanced-acoustic-werkes-aaw-a3h-3-way-hybrid-iem/reviews/12703#comments-title

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #228 of 474

Sad to hear that, but it covered with warranty, right? Can you write small comparison with Hybrid Sony XBA-A3? In term of bass/treble how much is better? 
biggrin.gif

I like my Sony XBA-H3 a lot.

Yes, covered by warranty and already sent for RMA. Hope I can receive it in a few days time.

I havent heard the XBA A3 in a while but I will try and do a short comparison from memory. W500 is on a totally different level performance wise. Bass, specially sub bass, hits a lot harder but at the same time the overall sound is more balanced. Mids are thicker and also more lively. Highs are smoother, less splashier and a bit less forward in comparison. Soundstage is wider and a bit more airy on the A3 due to its more distant sound but imaging is no contest - W500 has outstanding imaging ability, effortlessly localizing the different sonic cues withing the soundstage. A3 cant quite achieve the same.

The general consensus is that A3 is quite a bit better than the H3, so W500 should be better than the H3 in all respect. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #230 of 474
  So today I spent a good few hours listening to my W500 and I just could not help but feel something was off about the sound. Mid bass was good but sub bass extension was not quite as strong as mentioned in the reviews. Mids were not as thick and treble seemed to be quite present and forward. Most importantly, imaging was screwed up. Left right separation was okay but centre image was weird and way too diffused, like someone had turned on some heavy duty surround sound DSP. 

I was beginning to suspect polarity issues in the cable so off I went online to do some polarity check and voila, the test results were totally off. Switched my cable to an old spare I had lying around and my jaw just dropped to the floor. That glorious, gut wrenching sub bass. Wow.

I hope you have a nice time with W500 mate. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #231 of 474
  I need some inspiration for shell colour choices. Anyone with their AAW CIEMs that haven't posted pics yet, please do!!!

Go mother of pearl. Not many CIEM brands carry it. Too much carbon fibre nowadays.
They have freeeeeeeee faceplates during Black Friday.

Mine are incoming but it'll definitely arrive after BF!! Good luck!

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #232 of 474
Great suggestion but I already chose the smokey black shell, with silver engraved... I'm a fan of simple. Maybe I'll branch out when I get some more CIEMs!!!

Go mother of pearl. Not many CIEM brands carry it. Too much carbon fibre nowadays.

They have freeeeeeeee faceplates during Black Friday.

Mine are incoming but it'll definitely arrive after BF!! Good luck!

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #233 of 474

I hope you have a nice time with W500 mate. 

Oh I am loving it. Despite the design not quite turning out as I had planned, I am very happy with this purchase. Wondering how the Vitesse cable will change the sound. I assume it will sound a bit different than the spare I am using right now as it is an upgrade cable. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #234 of 474
Oh I am loving it. Despite the design not quite turning out as I had planned, I am very happy with this purchase. Wondering how the Vitesse cable will change the sound. I assume it will sound a bit different than the spare I am using right now as it is an upgrade cable. 

I'm curious, why do you think your design failed? Only if you want to share of course...

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #235 of 474
i've tried the A3H pro earlier today and it's rly worth the $499 price tag, considering 1DD + 2 BA which you can't find any in the current market.

it's bright and clear in the low, mid and high, but a too-high-frequency like violin (i was auditioning with some Lindsey Stirling music) may seem to be too sharp for you

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #236 of 474
How do I get the discount? I added the  W500 to the cart and went onto checkout. But I don't see the 15% off. Is there a code involved?

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #239 of 474
  Well, I wouldn't say the design has failed. It was partly my fault as I failed to visualize how the actual iems would end up looking. No biggy and they still look decent enough for me to not make a fuss. 

I've never owned a pair, or even SEEN a pair up close... Just pictures. So I know what you mean about it being hard to visualise... I just chose to go simple, but even then I don't know if I've made a blunder...

Oh well, re-shell is always an option, especially if you love them a lot!

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #240 of 474

Copper 8 braid vitesse cable makes w500 more coherent and a little more refined sounding ciem. Also, it becomes a little smoother in treble section mate. Do you use 4 braided Vitesse, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back