Ads with audio on the Forum
Apr 19, 2012 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

harrisonhawk

Head-Fier
I was browsing the site today while listening to my own music when suddenly my ears were bombarded by 2 separate audio sources which ended up being 2 simultaneous auto-play video ads on the right hand side of the page.

I know the site has to have a revenue stream but given that pretty much everyone on here is an audio nut, and a large portion I'd imaging will be listening to their own music when they visit, can I suggest that auto-play video ads are taken down?

Personally I think they're annoying and intrusive. I'll happily click text and graphic ads, but when I'm greeted by annoying library rock music I'm much more inclined to log off.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 45
I couldn't agree more, if these ads continue my time on Head-Fi will be greatly reduced. I can't imagine why anyone thought this was a good idea on this site!

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 45
Do you remember what the ads were for? No ads we run are supposed to auto-play audio, and I ticket for any that do to be removed.

I haven't seen/heard an auto-play ad recently, so, again, if you remember (or have a screenshot) of what it was, I'd appreciate it.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 45
Hi Jude,  so far these have popped up;

Cotton, T-Mobile (with two ads coming up, both playing). It seems like there was another but I'm not seeing it now. If I do I'll report back
smile.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 45
Stedward's university is one, a spanish kool-aid ad, a spanish blackberry ad, and even a slew of british news?  What's worse is they all just keep cycling through and never end, multiples at a time.

It's unreal.

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 45
I've been wondering why I've been hearing the T-Mobile tune.
And the last time was only 5 minutes ago.
I use Firefox, I like being able to go Mach 5.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 45
Using Safari here and the T-Mobile ad is still going off (Cotton ad as well), I'm not seeing the others mentioned

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 45
My ears were attacked several times by those ads as well. It would be nice if ad volume is lowered. At the time, i had to leave Headfi to turn off those ads (any other way to turn them off)?

I guess they were from those "AdChoices" that geo-tracked me, because the ads changed according to my Internet browsing on those particular days.

Also browsing Headfi (not with other sites) using iPhone / ios5 / safari / mercury crashed a lot lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back