ADL GT40 discussion
Jun 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mahchefai

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I know that there's been a thread on this product already, but it seemed like not many people had experience with it so I thought that another thread could be useful.

I'm looking to purchase some equipment so that I can play music from my laptop as well as my record player into my yet to be purchased open headphones (thinking the HD600/650s or HE400s, but am not set on anything yet).

To my knowledge, I will need at DAC, a Phono stage, and a Headphone amp to do this. While looking around the net, I came across the GT40, which apparently does all of these things!

Now my main question is whether or not the GT40 can properly drive the aforementioned headphones. If anyone has experience with this product with or without these headphones, I'd like to hear from you because I've read some reviews but there isn't too much out there.

Another thing I'm wondering is whether or not it's a good idea to go for this all in one device or if I'd be better off with getting them all separate (your specific suggestions are welcome)

Beyond that, this can just be a general discussion about the GT40, whatever people want to talk about!

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 12
The GT40 is one of the rare device to go as far as to include a phono-stage.

DAC-ADC-Amp combos are slightly more common though, Audiotrak Dr. DAC is one, and huh, if I remember correctly, Yulong, TEAK, Matrix also had at least one in their line-up.

If you crave to read more, outside the realm of Head-Fi the GT40 does have a bunch of positive reviews going on for it: http://adl-av.com/products/usbdac/gt40/#reviews

I think Head-Fi will always tell you to go with the costly way of having one different device for each function. Unless you're with a tight budget or a reasonable preference for simplicity and space-saving.

Myself in the future the only upgrade I intend on ever doing is buying and using a balanced amp, right now I'm aiming at the Phase Tech EPA-007; fed by the GT40, but that is only until I build a desktop computer and decide myself on a great soundcard as my final source. After that the GT40 will become a secondary transportable rig and won't get as much use.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Okay, so I know that there's been a thread on this product already, but it seemed like not many people had experience with it so I thought that another thread could be useful.

I'm looking to purchase some equipment so that I can play music from my laptop as well as my record player into my yet to be purchased open headphones (thinking the HD600/650s or HE400s, but am not set on anything yet).

To my knowledge, I will need at DAC, a Phono stage, and a Headphone amp to do this. While looking around the net, I came across the GT40, which apparently does all of these things!

Now my main question is whether or not the GT40 can properly drive the aforementioned headphones. If anyone has experience with this product with or without these headphones, I'd like to hear from you because I've read some reviews but there isn't too much out there.

Another thing I'm wondering is whether or not it's a good idea to go for this all in one device or if I'd be better off with getting them all separate (your specific suggestions are welcome)

Beyond that, this can just be a general discussion about the GT40, whatever people want to talk about!

It will drive the HP's that you mentioned.  The GT40 is best as a phono preamp.  I bought it to rip my vinyl to 24/96 which it is good but not great at.  Decent amp, but better as a DAC.

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
The GT40 is best as a phono preamp.  I bought it to rip my vinyl to 24/96 which it is good but not great at.  Decent amp, but better as a DAC.

Would you mind elaborating a bit?

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 12
I primarily bought the GT-40 to rip vinyl.  In comparison to the Numark ADC it produced sharper and more detailed files on iTunes. This was fine with the digital albums I do not already own.

The downside for me was comparing the CD to vinyl rips of the same album.  "Heartbeat City" by The Cars was much more clear and concise with the CD rips via a Mac Superdrive in comparison to the Audacity rips I obtained via GT-40.  The CD rips @ 16/44 had cleaner sound and audio separation than the 24/96 vinyl rips. A better needle and table might make a difference.  I'm using a stock Ortofon needle and Project Debut lll table.  

The DAC is comparable to my Dragonfly but not as convenient.

As a headphone amp the Bellari HA540 with a vintage Telfunken tube provided more power and depth of sound.

The phono stage of the GT-40 adds to the system I have in place (Denon 2305 receiver) and is what I am currently using it for

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 12
That's interesting, do you also notice these differences when listening directly from the source material, or just from the rips? I would imagine that you are right, that a better needle would yield better results. At least it was an improvement over what you were using before.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
That's interesting, do you also notice these differences when listening directly from the source material, or just from the rips? I would imagine that you are right, that a better needle would yield better results. At least it was an improvement over what you were using before.

Project Debut lll>GT-40>Denon 2305>Bellari HA540>T1 gave the best sound.  Actually in my opinion  on par or better than CD's. I prefer the warmth of vinyl.  Digital is just so much more convenient.

The GT-40 is actually remarkable for what it can do at its price point ADC/DAC/Amp. I haven't given up on the vinyl rips. I need to upgrade the needle.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 12
Hi guys,

Wow there's so few threads here at head-fi on the Furutech ADL GT40. Just got myself the GT40 New Old Stock (NOS) for just $250 from a local retailer when I tried to buy an integrated Amp-DAC that has USB connection. 

My goal was to play FLAC files from my laptop and at that time I came up with two choices that were available here at Jakarta, Indonesia:
1. Centrance Dacport (sold by store A)
2. Furutech ADL GT40 (sold by store B)

*Please note that my Headphone is Senn HD600

Intially I was very impressed by the Centrance Dacport because of the size (portability) and power. I've tested the Dacport connected to a laptop playing FLACs via Foobar2000 using a Beyer T1 and Senn Momentum Over Ear. The Dacport did not broke any sweat when driving the momentum, the power was too much for me when hearing the Momentum. After that I switched to the T1 and all become much more balanced.

Tested a few tracks from Eric Clapton, Santana, and Michael Buble, I've noticed that the Dacport has so much energy and detail. The mids were thick and dynamic. The highs were quite extended and it seemed that there were no details being lost. The lows were also full but at times could overlap the mids. Soundstage was huge and in your face.
After some short critical listening, I've noted that the with so much energy being presented by the Dacport, it cannot present a very clear separation of vocal & instruments. All the sounds seemed to be mashed up in one huge image. I imagined that I cannot listen to this sound signature for a long period period of time because it would not be enjoyable.

I've read several reviews of the Dacport here and most of the feedbacks were positive. Honestly I would give two thumbs up for a device so small and with so much energy/dynamics but I do not think it will suit my taste as I would like to have a more relaxed presentation. Furthermore, the Dacport is limited to only USB connection and THAT'S IT. It does not have any further input/output option that I may need in the future.

Now coming to the GT40...

At the local retailer, I auditioned the GT40 using Senn HD800 (at that moment, the store did not have a Senn HD600/650 ready for demo) and an Audeze LCD 2.

At first, using the HD800, I've noticed that the presentation of the GT40 was more laid back than the Dacport. The sound was not as in-your-face as the Dacport. The sound signature was neutral with a touch of warmth, which I imagined would be suitable for my HD600. The separation was more apparent with the GT40 than the Dacport. The soundstage was not as big as the Dacport but just right for my taste. 
Switching to the LCD 2, wow I immediately fell in love with the Audeze! (never heard it before). The basic signature of the amp was still apparent, but I was more struck by the difference characteristics between the headphones. I guess I don't have to explain the difference of characteristics between the HD800 and LCD 2. 

After some careful thinking, I went home with the GT40. Having used the GT40 for about 200-300 hours now with my Senn HD600, I have come to the conclusion that I was right choosing this amp. It is neutral with a touch of warmth, good seperation, have sufficient dynamic/energy (it's not the quickest amp out there), sweet sounding and it has many input/output options.

Overall, for the price I've paid for it or maybe for an amp under $500, this should be everyone's consideration.

I would love to know any other experiences about the GT40 from everyone here

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 12
Audio is a learning process, sold off the Bellari HA540 and moved up to the Meier Daccord/Classic.
I'm still using the ADL GT40 primarily as either a pre phono amp or an ADC to rip vinyl to digital.
The HD600 is fine with the GT40, but not enough juice for my HD800.

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 12
  Audio is a learning process, sold off the Bellari HA540 and moved up to the Meier Daccord/Classic.
I'm still using the ADL GT40 primarily as either a pre phono amp or an ADC to rip vinyl to digital.
The HD600 is fine with the GT40, but not enough juice for my HD800.

Yup.. it seemed doesn't do justice for a HD800. For playing a HD600, I rarely set the volume knob to 11 o'clock position. But when I auditioned the HD800, I have to push the GT40 to at least 11 or 12 o'clock position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back