Addition to my two current phones?
Nov 16, 2002 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cat

New Head-Fier
I currently have SR-125s and 7506s. Most of the time they're either attached directly to an Audigy 2, or Audigy 2->old Sony bookshelf stereo (as an amp.)

I enjoy both of them, preferring the Grados for some situations, Sonys for others. If I'm really dreading the silly dent headphones put in my hair, I'll stick with the Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, Christmas is rolling around, so do any of you have some suggestions to add to my setup? Be it another set of phones, an amp, or something completely different.

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 5
How about some Etymotics? Perfect for drowning out the noisy world, and fidelity second to very few.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 5
you're a glutton for punishment, or a devil's advocate
wink.gif
the recommendations are sure come fast and furious, now.

how's that amp connected to the sound card working out? there's another thread where a head-fi'er complained about a lack of bass and i suggested your setup. how would you compare the sound with and without the amp (using the same headphones)?

since you have the highs and the lows covered, how about a mid-range phone (like senn 600 or akg k501 or sony mdr-f1?)

a head-amp. definitely a head-amp.

no, wait, a better sound source. yeah, that's the ticket. start at the very first chain link of sound, your sound card.

okay, guys - to the rack with him
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Take a look at the new offerings that Audio Technica is coming out with in a few weeks. Since you like the Grado sound, maybe the wooden series, ATH-W1000 would be to your liking.

As to headphone amps, I am partial to my Sonic Adventure Reality. It's a hybrid tube/MOSFET design that sounds incredible when mated up to some cheap Amperex 6DJ8 tubes, made in Holland, orange globe, A frames. Lots to describe, but man does this thing sound good with these tubes!!!

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 5
My current stereo system-as-amplifier setup works pretty well, definitely provides more oomph than the Audigy 2 alone.

Those headroom amps look like they have to use batteries; I'd like a decent cheap, small, battery AND AC powerable amp, if such a thing is available.

A third set of headphones is tempting too, from all the above recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back