Adding some SuperLux HD-668B headphones to my collection?
Aug 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tacoboy

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of adding the Superlux HD-668B headphones to my collection.
My Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohms are wonderful (perfect?), but are closed, so I'm might be doing ear damage for using closed headphones, for hours on end.
My Audio Technic ATH-AD700s are nice, great for easy listening, but have "light' bass, also being open means I hear all this other noise that interferes with whatever I'm trying to listen to.
So I'm thinking of getting the Superlux HD-668Bs.
Should be open just enough so my eardrums do not take a beating from the bass and should let less outside noise in compared to the AD700s.
So I'm just asking if there might be a better choice over the HD-668Bs?

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
I'm thinking of adding the Superlux HD-668B headphones to my collection.
My Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohms are wonderful (perfect?), but are closed, so I'm might be doing ear damage for using closed headphones, for hours on end.
My Audio Technic ATH-AD700s are nice, great for easy listening, but have "light' bass, also being open means I hear all this other noise that interferes with whatever I'm trying to listen to.
So I'm thinking of getting the Superlux HD-668Bs.
Should be open just enough so my eardrums do not take a beating from the bass and should let less outside noise in compared to the AD700s.
So I'm just asking if there might be a better choice over the HD-668Bs?

For the price...probably not. The HD-668B IMO is a step under bass heavy, but I did find it sort of a V-shaped signature. I don't know how it compares to the DT-770 Pro. I think the HD-668B is said to be similar to the DT-990's signature.
I hated the HD-668B, but it's very detailed and is super clear sounding for the price. It can even compete with some $100 headphones. It has a very good soundstage too.

I just have this feeling that it will be too similar to the DT-770, but maybe not. I'm not sure if that's what you want. Just as a warning, I've found the HD-668B to have fairly recessed mids, but not too badly. That's what killed it for me. It really just depends on what signature you like. Me, I love forward mids. The HD-668B as you know, has a lot of treble!

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
You really shouldn't have to worry about this unless you're listening at an unreasonable volume level.

My Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm are a joy to use plugged into my Onkyo 706B receiver while watch T.V. or plugged in to my Indeed 6922EH tube headphone amp.
I do have to turn the volume down on the Onkyo when commercials on T.V. start blasting.
I do watch a lot of action movies, unfortunately in some movies, in order to hear the dialog clearly, you need to turn the volume up
But my ears get an overwhelming bass (DT-770) when the action and music kick in.
The  Audio Technica ATH-AD700s lack of bass makes it easier (safer) to have the volume up to hear the dialog,
But having three fans in my place for cooling, which do not go well with fully open headphones.
I just think I can find a compromise with semi-open headphones.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I'll have the Superlux HD668B soon to compare them to Ad900, HD558, and Ad700s. 

I'm scared already. I do think the HD-668B could hold up quite well though when it comes to the clearness of the sound and the level of detail. For only $50 it's soundstage is quite good.
I finally listened to my HD-668B again last night after collecting dust and they're not as bad as when I first heard them. I bet with an EQ I could make them a lot better and more closely match my signature.
I think it's safe to say the 668B will make all of those look bass light in comparison!

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I'm scared already. I do think the HD-668B could hold up quite well though when it comes to the clearness of the sound and the level of detail. For only $50 it's soundstage is quite good.
I finally listened to my HD-668B again last night after collecting dust and they're not as bad as when I first heard them. I bet with an EQ I could make them a lot better and more closely match my signature.
I think it's safe to say the 668B will make all of those look bass light in comparison!

Don't be scared! I'm sure I'm going to find things I absolutely love about the HD668B and for the price they seem hard to beat. I will give them an honest and fair review!

Quote:
So you have the AD900s and the AD700s, how do the two compare to each other?

The Ad900 are absolutely a linear upgrade, no questions asked. The upgrade is definitely more noticeable when going backwards though if you catch my drift. The build quality is superior on the Ad900 due to a magnesium housing as opposed to the plastic on the Ad700. The lows have more impact and extension, almost perfect for me, though still anemic to most. The mids are a bit more forward and man do they shine, but they're not overly aggressive. The highs are more clean and as well balanced with the mids as the Ad700s are. The soundstage is still airy, but the ad900 on a whole will make the user feel a part of the music more than the Ad700. The Ad900 are very musical and if you own the Ad700 already you're going to absolutely love the Ad900. If you're unsure and don't own either, the Ad700 can be bought for as low as $80 new, which are a steal, but if you can find the Ad900 for $200-$220 new then I'd suggest picking them up without a second thought.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 15
I must say 668B has very great, deep, tight, rumble bass and nicely balance with other frequency.You will get unbeatable sound quality for 50$hp, just give it a warm source and prepare to smile 
L3000.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 15
My HD-668Bs arrived about 6 hours ago, I'm impressed for the sound quality, really gives my DT-770 250-Ohm a run for the money.
Tested using my Indeed 6922EH tube headphone amp. and Comcast Classical channel.
Only drawback so far is the frame/cup quality (all most all plastic), I'm sure it's about as good as you can get for the price.
Little tighter ear clapping on the head over the DT-770, but not uncomfortable.
The two "headrest wings/flaps" is not something I would bend around too much.
My Beyerdynamics should way outlast my HD-668Bs when it come to long term to wear and tear.
But still the HD-668Bs are the best bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back