Addiction to EQ
Apr 5, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 95
There's no telling how a recording was voiced these days, so EQ and DSPs seem to be the only way to get some music and gear to sound the way you'd like it to.

I can't see anything wrong with your music sounding the way you want it to.

USG

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't see anything wrong with your music sounding the way you want it to.

V shaped? fine, but he should make the top sliders at 0dB max...otherwise it's gonna distort like mad on loud stuff.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #18 of 95
It's your music, your ears, and your equipment. If you enjoy the sound you get, then I say more power to you.
I myself EQ the mess out of my Triple.Fis to get more treble energy and more bass when listening to the various genres that I throw at it, however when using the UM3Xs I use the EQ very lightly, and only to audibly balance out the phones to make the music sound as natural as possible (acoustic, classical, vocal).

EDIT: And yea like leeperry said, if you're doing a lot of EQing I'd say to set that pre-amp pretty low; my music sounds crap on my speakers (logitech Z-Cinema) without setting that preamp low because of the heavy EQing I do.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #20 of 95
Well I'm going to be making MY own headphones tomorrow. Well hopefully complete it tomorrow. Hopefully they'll sound good enough to not need an EQ. They are closed design, and will be cotton balled inside for insulation and to keep outside noise at a minimum..

Hmm, also need to buy a cable from Rat Shack. Gonna go SILVER if they got it.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm going to be making MY own headphones tomorrow. Well hopefully complete it tomorrow. Hopefully they'll sound good enough to not need an EQ. They are closed design, and will be cotton balled inside for insulation and to keep outside noise at a minimum..

Hmm, also need to buy a cable from Rat Shack. Gonna go SILVER if they got it.

Frequency Response: 20-200Hz, 6-20Khz
biggrin.gif

Good luck man, tell us how they sound. EQed and not.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #23 of 95
It's gonna be very awesome, I just know it. I will paint it if it turns out to sound great.

I'll do a frequency response test on them, got a place here that can do it for me.

May 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #24 of 95
I am such an EQ Addict (and proud of it) that I bought an Applied Research & Technology (ART) 355 31 band third octave equalizer. It's fascinating to boost and cut frequencies while music is playing to see what frequency ranges different instruments operate in.

In particular it is handy with older recordings remastered on CDs. There is still background tape hiss, around 7K HZ, that can be attenuated without affecting other sounds. And bass and treble--imagine the possibilities. For $200 shipped it makes all the difference!

May 23, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #25 of 95
I eq everything, but i do it using a sine wave in order to remove peaks and valleys from my cans.  once i get them flat, i leave it like that no matter what im listening to, unless i decide i want a little more bass or treble in a particularly crappy recording.   I do this because many headphones actually have some pretty radical imbalances and fixing them really brings out their true potential IMHO. 

Of course like many people have made clear its ultimately about what you like.  No one knows what you hear compared to someone else, maybe your eq settings produce nice balance to your ears...

May 23, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #26 of 95

Quote:
I am such an EQ Addict (and proud of it) that I bought an Applied Research & Technology (ART) 355 31 band third octave equalizer. It's fascinating to boost and cut frequencies while music is playing to see what frequency ranges different instruments operate in.

In particular it is handy with older recordings remastered on CDs. There is still background tape hiss, around 7K HZ, that can be attenuated without affecting other sounds. And bass and treble--imagine the possibilities. For $200 shipped it makes all the difference!

..click...ads to wish list...

May 23, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #27 of 95
I use to use EQ's until I got my ultimate rig. Now EQ's just mess up the sound, there is NOTHING about the sound that I wish to alter. I never thought It was possible to have perfect sound. But I've found it.

May 26, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #28 of 95

Quote:
I use to use EQ's until I got my ultimate rig. Now EQ's just mess up the sound, there is NOTHING about the sound that I wish to alter. I never thought It was possible to have perfect sound. But I've found it.

That's how I feel now. Sure my rig doesn't sound as good as yours (although I hope it will someday :)) I just leave my T51 on the normal, flat setting and just listen. I'm trying to go for as neutral of a sound as possible now-a-days. 

May 28, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #29 of 95
Your sound so you can use whatever gear you want.  Maybe the phones/speakers you are using are just not what you enjoy and that is why you find it nessascary to use EQ.  Perhaps you shoudl look at checking out some other phones/speakers and find a set that is betetr suited to the response you want.

In the end though, it is your system so tune it to the way you like it.

May 28, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #30 of 95
Using EQ makes way more sense than buying cables to try and beef up the midrange or tone down sibilance. The audiophile view that EQ somehow gets in the way of fidelity is nonsense. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back