Addict in relapse: Better than a PiMeta?
Jun 16, 2005 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kent1146

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently decided to quit the headphone habit and go with a nice pair of Swans M200 speakers for my desktop PC setup. I have been using my HD580s to listen away from my PC until they are sold.

The decision to quit lasted about 48 hours.

I am now looking for a headphone amp to compliment Audio Technica A900s or Beyerdynamic DT880s. Do these cans need an amp to shine, like Sennheisers do?

I've used a JMT PiMeta and a Portaphile v2 portable amp. The biggest complaint I have about the JMT Pimeta is that the sound seems a little "muffled" on Ety 4S'es and isn't as screamingly detailed and clear as Ety 4S'es on the Portaphile. Is it the amp itself? Are the Etys so detailed that it can pick up the hiss from a regulated DC power supply?

Anyway, I am looking for a home-based amp with a cleaner, purer output. I was thinking of going with a PPA from a builder like JMT or Zemo. I tend to favor custom amp builders over manufactured amps, but I would be open for suggestions. My price budget is around $200-$300, but will push to $400 if I get a much greater return for my money.

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 4
I would look into the M3 amp. Thrice from Rockhopper seems to be building some nice versions, and I'm sure a lot of DIY guys can make one for you as well.

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kent1146
I've used a JMT PiMeta and a Portaphile v2 portable amp. The biggest complaint I have about the JMT Pimeta is that the sound seems a little "muffled" on Ety 4S'es and isn't as screamingly detailed and clear as Ety 4S'es on the Pimeta. Is it the amp itself? Are the Etys so detailed that it can pick up the hiss from a regulated DC power supply?

when you talk about the muffled sound, did you mean it sounds muffled on the Portaphile? Your statement didn't make sense - "the biggest complaint about the JMT Pimeta is that it isn't as screamingly detailed and clear as on the Pimeta" ???

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 4
You're right, the statement doesn't make sense. IT has been edited to make more sense. It should read:

the biggest complaint about the JMT Pimeta is that it isn't as screamingly detailed and clear as on the Portaphile.

I believe the reason to be the Elpac PSU. I can detect a slight background hiss when using very sensitive phones like the Etys. The portaphile gives a blacker silence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back