AD700 - What's the diff?
Oct 30, 2008 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wonderwall

100+ Head-Fier
I'm really interested in buying a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and nearly exploded with joy when I found them for a little over $100 on Amazon. Headphone.com and other places list them as being normally $249. However on this amazon page, it lists the original list price as only $197.18. o.O

I also found another page for them on Amazon, apparently through a vendor named ApexSuppliers. Price: $249.99, originally $349.99. So unless these are originally $400 headphones, there must be a difference between these two.

Here are links to the two pages:
Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Headphones: Electronics (cheap)
Amazon.com: Audio Technica "Open-Air Dynamic Headphones With Titanium Alloy Cord" ATH-AD700: Electronics (not so cheap)

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 17
Ignore it. I got them from amazon for a little over $100 as well. Go for it.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 17
I got them for $110 about a month and a half ago.

You can look at the price history on amazon to see the trends.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 17
ad700 are not only in the low $100 range, they very well may be the best $100 you have ever spent on headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought mine just under a year ago at the same price, it seems pretty normal for them to be at that price. Never mind that I think they are worthy of a $200+ price tag.

They may also be the worst $100 you ever spend on headphones if you are like me though. They are the worst for me because I fell in love with them, tried to get better than them with 3-4 pairs of different brands (grado - ad700 > them for rock IMO, AKG K240 - not in the same league, DT-880 - just wasn't my type of sound, good cans but the AD700 are more my style) and now I just dropped half a grand on the AD2000 with a Cardas recable.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They may also be the worst $100 you ever spend on headphones if you are like me though. They are the worst for me because I fell in love with them, tried to get better than them with 3-4 pairs of different brands (grado - ad700 > them for rock IMO, AKG K240 - not in the same league, DT-880 - just wasn't my type of sound, good cans but the AD700 are more my style) and now I just dropped half a grand on the AD2000 with a Cardas recable.

+1

AD700 -> AD2000 -> W5000/HA5000 combo upgrade path happened much faster than I realized . . .

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ad700 are not only in the low $100 range, they very well may be the best $100 you have ever spent on headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought mine just under a year ago at the same price, it seems pretty normal for them to be at that price. Never mind that I think they are worthy of a $200+ price tag.

If they are truly that good, I doubt I will be upgrading. I am actually pretty happy with my HD555 but I promised myself I would try something else non-Sennheiser and since I am in love with almost everything Japanese, A-T seemed like a great brand to try. In my experience, when it comes to electronics, products out of Japan are almost always of a greater caliber. Just the special little touches and innovations (like the wing system) make Japanese products more of a pleasure. Hell, not only do they look amazing and unique, the packaging is even pleasantly different. And if what you say about the sound is true, well... I may have found my true love.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will be ordering these at the beginning of next month but won't be opening them till Christmas sooooo... I'll let you guys know how they are working out for me then. Any advice on burn-in, amps, etc?

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 17
You think you won't upgrade but head-fi is evil.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDRKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You think you won't upgrade but head-fi is evil.

It's ok, I've got iron crosses, garlic, holy water and several weapons of silver at hand.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Hype /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Melt the silver down and use it for cabling
tongue_smile.gif

I guarantee you my friend, I will never be that much of an audiophile. Besides, what would I use to protect myself from werewolves?! Think of all the blood that would get on my headphones!
eek.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 17
How is the bass with the AD700?

Would this be a great choice for an all-around, fun headphone for Electronic, Techno, Rock, Punk etc.?

Also, does it need to be amped?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm trying to lighten up my wallet
atsmile.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested in buying a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and nearly exploded with joy when I found them for a little over $100 on Amazon. Headphone.com and other places list them as being normally $249. However on this amazon page, it lists the original list price as only $197.18.

The US MSRP is $250 for these headphones. The Japanese MSRP is about $155. Anyone selling it under $155 is most likely importing them from Japan directly.
Authorized US vendors must honor the US MSRP of $250, not the Japanese MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back