AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium) (especially for gaming)
Sep 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ombadboy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys need your help with this. I just bought a new soundcard to satisfy my gaming urges and give me a better edge in competitive (RPG/RTS) gaming while not limiting my ability to listen to my heavy metal (which won't be done often from the cans) or playing other games casually.

More or less, all the aforementioned cost the same in the UK, around the ~120GBP/150EURO/190USD range (even importing from USA after tax, etc makes the AD700 cost as much).

My question is, which are the best for gaming, in order?

I've read loads and loads of reviews and my head is spinning. I was set to buy the AD700 due to their 'cheaper' nature (vs the rest), but it seems in the UK the AD700 cost as much as the rest.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hey guys need your help with this. I just bought a new soundcard to satisfy my gaming urges and give me a better edge in competitive (RPG/RTS) gaming while not limiting my ability to listen to my heavy metal (which won't be done often from the cans) or playing other games casually.

More or less, all the aforementioned cost the same in the UK, around the ~120GBP/150EURO/190USD range (even importing from USA after tax, etc makes the AD700 cost as much).

I've read loads and loads of reviews and my head is spinning. I was set to buy the AD700 due to their 'cheaper' nature (vs the rest), but it seems in the UK the AD700 cost as much as the rest.

I guess I personally like the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm because the full bass and full treble gives a more lively (fiesta) sound.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Heya,

I would go DT880 if you want something that is excellent all around. DT990 if you want an emphasis on more bass. Don't even bother with the AD700.

Others to consider: Hifiman HE-300, Fischer Audio FA-011, AKG Q701, Ultrasone HFI 2400.

Very best,

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies guys.. If you are aware, how are the DT880 and DT990 for competitive gaming? I am aware that the less bass the better, but then this hampers all other uses of the cans.. On the other side, I don't want cans that have full blown bass that will drown the rest of the sounds..

P.S The DT880 for some reason is much more expensive than the DT990s and DT770s.. +80/90 dollars

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombadboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

P.S The DT880 for some reason is much more expensive than the DT990s and DT770s.. +80/90 dollars

The DT880 Pro is less different from its more expensive "premium" version than the other two, and it also includes a carrying case.

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

The DT880 Pro is less different from its more expensive "premium" version than the other two, and it also includes a carrying case.

Thanks for that, dang. Puts it out of my price range then ;/

Am currently looking at the others suggested, and see if I can (finally) decide what to go for.. Am leaning towards the DT990 250Ohm, although having 'alot' of bass might not be as good for competitive gaming. On the other hand, the AD700 has 'too little' bass, and is quite expensive in Europe, which puts it in the price range of 'better' cans.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for that, dang. Puts it out of my price range then ;/

Am currently looking at the others suggested, and see if I can (finally) decide what to go for.. Am leaning towards the DT990 250Ohm, although having 'alot' of bass might not be as good for competitive gaming. On the other hand, the AD700 has 'too little' bass, and is quite expensive in Europe, which puts it in the price range of 'better' cans.

Heya,

You can easily EQ the mid-bass down on the DT990 and make it linear/flat for competitive gaming. Don't let that hold you back.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back