AD700 Upgrade to K701 and LD1+
Nov 26, 2008 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

blue_lammer

100+ Head-Fier
I've been considering an upgrade to my current setup: AV-710 --> PA2V2 --> AD700. I have a ton of research and restrained by my limited budget. I like listening to a lot of classical, hip hop and rock. I don't mind the subdued bass on the AD700 and I'm a big fan of its large soundstage and clarity. I only have around 300 dollars, 350 max.

I'm thinking of buying a K701 and a Little Dot 1+ and running it off my AV-710. I heard that the LD1+ was a good amp for running low impedance cans and that my soundcard although not great is okay for the application. I don't have enough money to upgrade to a zero or a zahlou. Would this be a good combination for my next setup?

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_lammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been considering an upgrade to my current setup: AV-710 --> PA2V2 --> AD700. I have a ton of research and restrained by my limited budget. I like listening to a lot of classical, hip hop and rock. I don't mind the subdued bass on the AD700 and I'm a big fan of its large soundstage and clarity. I only have around 250 dollars, 300 max.

I'm thinking of buying a K701 and a Little Dot 1+ and running it off my AV-710. I heard that the LD1+ was a good amp for running low impedance cans and that my soundcard although not great is okay for the application. I don't have enough money to upgrade to a zero or a zahlou. Would this be a good combination for my next setup?

The 701s are very hungry. I don't know about the LD I+ but if they're designed for low-impedance cans then they will probably drive the 701s at least decently. I have the LD mk III which is meant for high impedence cans and I am at least very happy about how it drives my 701s. I am, however, saving for a Heed canamp to take everything to the next level, but I feel no need to upgrade in a hurry. I suspect that you would feel similarly.

If you can audition the 701s give them a try. I actually like them a lot for what little hiphop I listen to, but they do stumble a bit on some rock.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 16
Have you considered getting the AD2000? The K701 is going to be a lot more neutral and flat than the AD700, so the AD2000 is a more natural upgrade.

EDIT: Ok, you are not going to be able to afford the AD2000, so maybe save a bit more and try to get the SA5000? Just be warned that you might not like the K701's flat presentation.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, no, that would not be a good combo.

Please explain!My understanding was that this little amp did a decent job with the K701's due to their low impedance. (62 ohm) Is this a combo statement or a K701 comment?
Regards,
Jim

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 16
On paper, the little dot i+ has the technical specs to match k701s, but it isn't a fantastic amp to begin with (relatively). It has a fairly poor SNR and is supposedly a little muddy when compared with k701s. Of course, this is just nitpicking. You'll still hear a huge improvement over AD700s, its just that the difference wont be as huge as it could be with a better amp

If you are on a budget, you need to consider SS when looking for a k701 amp. The shanling ph100 is a very good match with k701s at only $200-250 shipped (maybe cheaper used) and it will give the k701s good bass and some warmth.

For even less money, you can try the x-head amp from av123. It is $200 new, but can easily be found for $100-150 shipped if you buy used or B-stock. The x-head is a very transparent SS amp with HUGE output power (5watts) and extremely low output impedence, so it will drive k701s decently. If you can grab one used, its unbeatable for the price.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered getting the AD2000? The K701 is going to be a lot more neutral and flat than the AD700, so the AD2000 is a more natural upgrade.

EDIT: Ok, you are not going to be able to afford the AD2000, so maybe save a bit more and try to get the SA5000? Just be warned that you might not like the K701's flat presentation.

I have long-term experience with both the K701 and AD2000 (and have both in my possession) and I do not agree with this characterisation. Compared to the AD2000, my 701 has less prominent mids and more bass, while treble is decently similar; sometimes 701 is a bit softer. The 701 also has a much larger soundstage. AD2K seems to have quicker impulse response also but the 701 is still pretty fast. I find the 701 balanced, but I certainly don't find it 'flat' in the sense of something worse criticising for lack of excitement or dynamics. I like both the 701 and AD2K a lot, though. I definitely wouldn't look to the SA5K as an upgrade given the OP's interests.

I do wonder if a used K701 + used CKKIII combo wouldn't be possible within a ~$350 budget. I think this might work better than the LD1+/K701 combo.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 16
i had a k601 and an ld1 amp. the amp drove them decently, but barely

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 16
I dont get this. I use the k601 and LD1+, and if im at 12 o clock, with my Replaygained flac files, it is loud, and without any distortion what so ever! So, what is this "barley driven" nonsense? Please explain, as I really don't understand.

I haven't heard the k701, but for the price, and for the options you get in tweaking your LD1+, I think its a bargain.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont get this. I use the k601 and LD1+, and if im at 12 o clock, with my Replaygained flac files, it is loud, and without any distortion what so ever! So, what is this "barley driven" nonsense? Please explain, as I really don't understand.

I haven't heard the k701, but for the price, and for the options you get in tweaking your LD1+, I think its a bargain.

i just felt i had to turn the volume knob pretty close to max to listen to music loud (if i wanted), also there was not much bass to be had. it seemed the k601 wanted more. i traded them off b4 getting a stronger amp though, so i cant make any other observations

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How does K601/LD1 do in terms of soundstage and imaging? PRaT?

What other amps have you heard with K601?

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What other amps have you heard with K601?

1. Guys, we really need to move beyond the function of an amp as being purely a device for delivering more volume. There is a huge difference between being able to 'drive' a pair of headphones and being able to deliver on the potential of those phones, regardless of impedance/sensitivity/frequency curve.

2. I listen to my 601s from my MD-10, a Chinese DAC/amp, and my entry level CA integrated amp (45W per channel over 8 ohms) and the latter does a much better job than the former, despite both being mains-powered SS 'amps' that cost around the same money. I'm not suggesting that you go out and buy a stereo amp/receiver, simply that trying to find something that 'does the job' mightnt be enough.

3. perfect world, I wouldnt settle for anything less than the HeadRoom Desktop amp. Sadly, it doesnt look like happening in 2009, but imagine being able to look at *any* pair of the readily-available phones we obsess over here and not have to worry about whether or not your amp could drive them properly .....

estreeter

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 16
Agree, at least when it comes to "coloring" options of a tube hybrid like the LD1+.

In my world, it has sufficient power to drive the k601.
If you dont like the sound of it, I guess its the wrong can.
If you want a different "colour" to your sound, roll tubes or op amp (and have some fun while doing it)
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 16
Since the K601 is warmer than other AKGs I've owned, you should not use an amp to further color it.

ok, from my actual experience, I'd say HeadAmp Gilmore Lite if $350 is your budget for amp only, you can get a used unit for less than $300. I like it because it increases the dynamic, bass is well controlled and imaging is accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back