Ad700 or Superlux 668b
Oct 5, 2011 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

superluhar

New Head-Fier
I am new to purchasing full sized cans and i need some help deciding. I own a pair of RE-2 from head direct and i really like the airy and very clear tone it presents. Although not the best clarity the company offers, i really enjoy some of the effects that it creates and I decided to find a pair of fullsized cans that can provide me with the same kind of effect. I am not looking forward to spending too much money and within my budget AD700 has been brought up a lot. I really enjoy  a large soundstage especially when the vocals are really clear and the treble is sparkly, and from others' posts ive gathered that AD700 has one of the best soundstages in the price range, but then i read about the superlux 668b. And the reviews show it to be amazing as well. So should i go for the AD700 or the 668b? because of the fact that these two are more focused on mid and high regions, ive decided to purchase a second pair of headphones that are more "fun" and are engaging. For example, cans that have a nice mid bass hump for punchy bass while not affecting the clarity of the mids and highs too much. A less neutral set of cans that will complement the Ad700 or the 668b.Thank you for all your help. I am trying to stay under 175 dollars total for both pairs of headphones.

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 22
Heya,

HD668B and Samson SR850 would be the ones I suggest to you over the AD700 if budget is a concern. They have a more full bodied sound anyways, they're not a crippled "half headphone" like the AD700, the AD700 is anemic and shy on bass, making it difficult to use on all applications. For a fun can for your bass needs, check out the panasonic rp-htf600. But with your budget, I would not get "budget" headphones. I'd suggest you look at getting a good all around headphone instead:

If you get one good pair of headphones that can do bass and still have great mids and treble, you can save even more money by not buying a 3rd or 4th headphone eventually when you realize what you really want. With a $175 budget, I'd suggest you look at the BeyerDynamic DT880 PRO, Fischer Audio FA-011 & FA-002, AudioTechnica AD900, Sennheiser HD598, and AKG K240 MKII.

Very best,

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 22
The AD700 does have a good sounstage and a nice clear airy sound and nice sparkle but there is absolutely no midbass hump and it starts to roll off a lot around 80Hz so it isn't a headphone to get if you want a "fun" pair of phones.  If thats what you looking for then you should enjoy them.  If you are looking for something with more bass you could try the DT440 or K242HD but Im not familiar with the 668B.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
Whats this crippling half headphone thing?

The lack of bass response. It's ok for specific genres like acoustic and some classical and gaming specifically "competitive online foot-step-listening." But it's awful, in my opinion, for everything else. No immersion due, just a hallow sound, in games and movies that do not require critical foot step listening. Can't do anything for music that has a lot of bass in it. It's just crippled. I would not want to spend $90 on this headphone. I'd rather get a headphone that is closer to neutral. This thing isn't even neutral. It's all mids & treble. The $50 Samson SR850 (HD668B) is better in every way in my opinion. You get the nice sound stage, good for gaming of all types, and yet it can still push some nice bass to give you options should you not just want a very hallow thin sound in a big hall the way the AD700 makes things sound. And in the same price range as the AD700 ($90) you can get a Fischer Audio FA-011 ($118) which is supremely better at everything than the AD700.

Full review in my sig if you're truly interested.

And I'm only strongly ripping into the AD700 because it's over-suggested and over-hyped and the folk usually asking about it are on a budget. I'd rather someone on a budget get the most out of their headphone, and not just get a headphone that only does some things well. A good well rounded headphone is a better buy. Something lacking bass is not a good well rounded headphone. It doesn't have to be a bass titan. But it should at least be closer to neutral. If it's too much bass, one can always EQ the bass down to achieve the same anemic sound of the AD700 (and the argument of EQing the bass up on the AD700 is not valid, EQing up brings in distortion and the headphone just still does not hit tones). The only ADxxx series worth it's price tag is the AD900 in my book as it's a better well rounded headphone. The AD500 is only worth while if you can get it on sale for like $30. The AD700 should only be a $40 headphone. The AD900 is worth it's price tag.

Very best,

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 22
I have the 668B and like it, but compared to my UR-55 it has a plain and boring sound.
I'm not a experienced Head-fier, but are you sure you want something like the 668B?

I'm keeping mine for gaming and movies, but I'm still looking for something more 'fun' sounding...

Greetz,

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 22
I own both the AD700 and HD-668B.
The AD700 is great for long term easy listening, listening to something to relax to
or for lots of late night T.V. watching.
But they block ZERO outside noise.

The HD-668Bs are great all around headphones.
Being semi-open makes them easier for long term listening over fully closed headphones.
The bass thump of closed headphone tires out my 47 year old ears faster the the HD-668Bs.
They block more outside noise over open headphones.
The HD-668B come with a 3' and 10' cable

But the HD-668Bs seem to break easily, mine stopped working after less then two months.
I had gotten out of my chair and the headphones were still plugged in, there was a slight tug on the cable
and they stopped working (hopefully I can fix them?).
As a safeguard you can always buy 2 of the HD-668B.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 22
Thank you for all the replies. I understand what you are saying about the anemic bass on the ad700 however im not a bass head. I do enjoy thumping bass but I also listen to music where i want something unique like the re2. Like something very clean sounding with very good instrument seperation and a sparkle. Does ad700 have those properties? Because I already placed an order for them because of all the hype about them being one of the best, if not the best sub $100 headphones. I was looking into all rounder headphones but i realized i want one set solely for the purpose of clear crisp detailed listening and another pair for fun music such as dubstep and hiphop. While i do enjoy a nice midbass hump I am by no means a bass head. I like a short punchy bass. are there any bassy sennheiser or shures around 100 dollars that are engaging and have good bass? I was looking into the m50 and they are a little over my price range but if it is anonymously agree that those are the best pair of bassy/fun headphones i can get for this price range then ill be willing to purchase them. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 22
If I were you, I would get the AD700 and see for yourself if the bass is enough. It sounds like they will be good for your taste. It's not like they have no bass at all.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Thank you for all the replies. I understand what you are saying about the anemic bass on the ad700 however im not a bass head. I do enjoy thumping bass but I also listen to music where i want something unique like the re2. Like something very clean sounding with very good instrument seperation and a sparkle. Does ad700 have those properties? Because I already placed an order for them because of all the hype about them being one of the best, if not the best sub $100 headphones. I was looking into all rounder headphones but i realized i want one set solely for the purpose of clear crisp detailed listening and another pair for fun music such as dubstep and hiphop. While i do enjoy a nice midbass hump I am by no means a bass head. I like a short punchy bass. are there any bassy sennheiser or shures around 100 dollars that are engaging and have good bass? I was looking into the m50 and they are a little over my price range but if it is anonymously agree that those are the best pair of bassy/fun headphones i can get for this price range then ill be willing to purchase them. 

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm, will work with almost any source.
Refurbished ones are sometimes sold by Beyerdynamic U.S.A. on their ebay listing "bd-usa".
But really needs a Headphone Amplifier to bring out their best.

Denon AH-D1001, but only sold used now.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:

Fischer Audio FA-011, $118.

Very best,

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 22
I went ahead and purchased the samson sr850. I know that most people say the sr850 is similar to the superlux 668b, but i also have read reviews suggesting the latter is of higher sound quality . Is that true ? because i can get the superlux 668b for cheaper than the samson. I also purchased the fostex t50rp along with the new Fiio  E10. From the rave reviews i have been reading i feel like i  will be returning the sr850, but i just wanted to try it first. Was my purchase worth it? or should i have invested the money in something else? I was looking for the fischer audio Fa-011 but i was not sure where to buy it.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
I went ahead and purchased the samson sr850. I know that most people say the sr850 is similar to the superlux 668b, but i also have read reviews suggesting the latter is of higher sound quality . Is that true ? because i can get the superlux 668b for cheaper than the samson. I also purchased the fostex t50rp along with the new Fiio  E10. From the rave reviews i have been reading i feel like i  will be returning the sr850, but i just wanted to try it first. Was my purchase worth it? or should i have invested the money in something else? I was looking for the fischer audio Fa-011 but i was not sure where to buy it.

The HD-668B is 56-Ohm and comes with 2 swapable cables, 3' & 10'
The SR850 is 32-Ohm and comes with a 10' fixed cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back