Ad700 or Hd555 or other?
Sep 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ghostbogey

New Head-Fier
After searching the forums for a while I have narrowed my selection down to these two, as they both fit my price range (sub 100). 
I listen to a wide variety of music but mostly rock/rap/jazz.
I'm also thinking of buying a fiio c6, considering this which would you guys suggest? Are there any other headphones I should consider?
Thanks!

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 9
I am in the same boat as you, looking for a sub 100$ pair that doesn't leak a lot of sound. With the AD700 & HD-555 i am also trying to decide between these

Shure SRH440
Sennheiser HD-280 
Sony MDRZX700
Grado SR-60i
Grado SR-80i
KRK KNS-6400
Koss Pro DJ 100

tdockweiler has a huge appreciation thread for the KRK KNS 6400 and he truly loves them but he also puts the Koss before it. So i am really really confused which one to pick. Hopefully someone can help us out.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 9
MS-1 or DT440 (both of which are more suitable for the music you listed) if you want open phones, which in my opinion are preferable to closed phones unless you absolutely need isolation. Out of the 2 the DT440 sounds better (actually its better than the AD700, HD555, and MS1). If you want closed then the M50 or SRH440. I like the SHR440 more.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
MS-1 or DT440 (both of which are more suitable for the music you listed) if you want open phones, which in my opinion are preferable to closed phones unless you absolutely need isolation. Out of the 2 the DT440 sounds better (actually its better than the AD700, HD555, and MS1). If you want closed then the M50 or SRH440. I like the SHR440 more.

A second vote for the MS-1's for your music type.  I haven't heard the DT440 though.  How does it compare to the MS-1's?

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
A second vote for the MS-1's for your music type.  I haven't heard the DT440 though.  How does it compare to the MS-1's?

They are better balanced and more detailed. Bass is better extended as well as faster, tighter and more detailed. Impact and volume are similar. Midrange and treble are a bit more laid back but not necessarily recessed or distant/dark sounding.  Soundstage and separation are better as well.  They aren't as fun or in your face nor are they what Id call neutral sounding but they are more versatile.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Well i agree both the M-50 and the DT440 are much better headphones but they are also a lot more expensive, can you tell me which is the best that fits in my 100$ budget ?

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
After searching the forums for a while I have narrowed my selection down to these two, as they both fit my price range (sub 100). 
I listen to a wide variety of music but mostly rock/rap/jazz.
I'm also thinking of buying a fiio c6, considering this which would you guys suggest? Are there any other headphones I should consider?
Thanks!

Heya,

Do you need to be able to walk around with them, or is this strictly for being used at the house (so to speak)?

I would suggest also you look at the Shure SRH440, KRK KNS6400, Sony ZX700. Or even if you're daring, something like the Koss UR 55 Studio Pulse, at least in the world of some sub-100 closed-back headphones. Also, if you're willing to spend just $30 more, you could get the SRH840 or the Ultrasone HFI 580, which is a great bump in quality for just a small increase in budget.

If you're looking for open-back for sound stage and just for the nature of open back, check out things like the Fischer Audio FA-011 (it's just over your limit, but man, it is worth it, plus it's extremely stylish by comparison to most in it's tier with stock wood cups), Samson SR850 or Superlux HD668B, Grado SR60i with L-Cush pads.

Very best,

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Hey thanks for the responses guys!

The one suggested pair of headphones that, after further research, I have become very interested in are the FA-011.
Do you feel they can be driven with something like the e6? Or do you think I need more? What if so?
Thanks again!

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 9
Just something to think about, dealing with the M-50's that i haven't heard mentioned too much around here. After a significant amount of listening >2 hours, the M-50's pushed on the part of my jaw that connects to my head and made my jaw really sore. I even have a small head too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back