AD700 or AD900?
Nov 21, 2008 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
Source: Sony S639F

Amp: Fiio E5 (may or may not be used, and yes I'm aware it's not a "true" amp)

A few examples of my music:
YouTube - Matthew Santos - Shadows in a Shoebox - www.candyrat.com
YouTube - Muse - New Born (Full Length version)
YouTube - Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now In The Fire
YouTube - Audioslave - Like A Stone
YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower Live! Isle Of Wight

Could someone please compare the two in-depth for me? And would my source/amp be able to make up for the supposed bass deficiency?

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 14
Bump.

I'm open to other suggestions as well, but can we try not to stray too far unless the suggestion is really worth bringing up? Keep in mind, I don't have a "real" amp, nor can I afford one. These headphones will be something to save up for.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 14
What do you mean by "colored"? Was it warm or cold?

What exactly does the AD700 sound like? And do you think my DAP might be able to make up for the lack of bass I keep hearing about?

Or should I go for something else (I'll go for anything in this price range or lower that doesn't need proper amplification)?

Thanks for replying.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 14
I'm not sure how much this will help, but I'd describe my sound preference as rich, detailed, accurate sound that is VERY (note the capitalization) slightly on the warm side. Transparency is still important, but that tiny bit of warmth is what makes the music fun to listen to. And soundstage/imaging is pretty high on the list.

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 14
Does it fulfill what I just described?

If so, I'm in.

I think.

Do you think I should go for something else?

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Get AD700's.

They're amazing.

Very very airy presentation with a great soundstage, but still up-fronted enough for rock. Nice sweet mids, sparklyish treble but the bass doesn't have much impact, even with amping.

I love em though. Nothing I bought since (DT880's, K701's) could match up to them. Probably not the best choice if your a big fan of thumping bass though.

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]get the ad2000 instead...you're going to end up there sometime anyways[/size]

Lol. I'll think about it. Maybe I'll just save up for twice as long.

How well are they driven un-amped as opposed to amped?

EDIT: Just read they are a little sibilant without an amp. Is this true?

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 14
How well will the AD2000 play the types of music I listed?

It would be nice if someone could go down the list and tell me how each one would sound, but it's not completely necessary. I'm just trying to make sure I make the best purchase possible.

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 14
Oh, goody.

Well, seeing as I'll probably have enough by the time I go to college, and I won't want to get $500 headphones for college, I'll get them when I get out!

Thanks everyone! AD2K it is!

Hell, I might even get lucky with a nice high-paying summer job this year, in which case I'll waste my money on the AD2K just like I wasted it on my PS3 last time.

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 14
My brother has had the AD700 for almost 2years now he has never had a problem with them, Ive owned the AD900 for about a week now and so far no problems either *touch wood*.

As for sound quality I am far from an audiophile but both me and my brother can hear a difference, everything seems clearer and I think the AD900 have a different style of bass if not more.

As for aesthetics and build quality the AD900 are slightly lighter and has slightly more metal in its construction though both feel solid and wont mind being dropped a few times. For aesthetics I dont think there is much of a difference mainly one is purple and one is gun metal grey and finally for comfort they are basically identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back